Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
gemini09

z-axis aiming

in newer fps games, where z-axis aiming is required (like in unreal tournament, where u have to quickly aim up/down while aiming left/right on close-range), my question is do u find it difficult to drastically move the mouse up/down without screwing up (like lose control)?

i saw the ideashappen.com ad, and this was my first idea. i'm thinking about submitting it, but only if it's others besides myself who also have this problem. oh yeah, the idea is to add some sort of support (shaped like a long circle, like this: "o", and it's just the bottom part that's used. and it should be able to be added to any mouse with "something" to attach it to the mouse from the sides.

hope to hear what u goodfolks think.

No, I use a trackball. Infinitely superior to a mouse for just about anything.

Whatever you use, don't use wireless anything. Wireless == will crap out at random intervals.

to make it more clearly, i meant like a palm-support that's about 10cm long, and goes from the back of your mouse (or rear end if u will), so when u move the mouse the palm-support moves with it (unlike a desk).

i hear it's alread been done before, has it?

I think a standard mouse is fine for mlook aiming in 3D - like any control set-up, it just requires practice.

Switching between Doom's original autoaim and mlook aiming can be a bit of a problem (I certainly found it awkward), which I guess is one reason why many people like to use mlook in Doom too.

I've never had a problem with mlook, except for DooM. It is a little awkward, since it wasnt intended originally.

And yes, wireless mice just arent the same. At least not the one's I have used.

What's wrong with using a normal mouse for looking up and down in new FPS games? I have absolutely no problem with it.

Grazza said:

Switching between Doom's original autoaim and mlook aiming can be a bit of a problem (I certainly found it awkward), which I guess is one reason why many people like to use mlook in Doom too.

I guess that's one of the reasons I haven't played any true 3D games in a long while. But I believe some people find it easier to adapt between different setups. Some even seem to prefer using keyboard only for DOOM, possibly to differentiate both play methods enough to avoid confusion?

Personally, I found Quake a bit awkward when I first started playing it. and conquering aiming while moving is always a challenge, but I think I'm okay at it now.
Look at Immortal's, Devastation's, or even Ryback's config and you'll see that with practice ANY keyboard/mouse configuration can be expertly mastered through practice.
in short, I'd say that people develop with the setup they have more often than trying to adapt to some new (even if it is possibly better) z-axis controller.
speaking of which, that damn "double-tap" shit in UT2003 always messes me up. I tend to move in spurts in the quake-type dm games and the game interprets that for the special-move sequences. -- I'm all ready to put a smack down on my brother and I double-hop off the ledge into nothingness. god dammit! :)

Opulent said:

speaking of which, that damn "double-tap" shit in UT2003 always messes me up.

You can turn this off if you want: Settings | Game | Dodging.

I know; but I was on my brother's machine and I didn't want to mess with his setup(thanks for saying though).
my point is that these newer games have tilt-left, alt-zoom this, duck that; and a controller/mouse with more functions might be useful for those of us born with 8 fingers on each hand. :P

I've found that, as some of you have already said, you can adapt to just about anything if you keep practicing. Mlook just takes practice. I admit it does feel a little awkward in the current Doom mods, I guess because of the graphics. But newer games play and feel better with mlook, and it doesn't take long to get decent at it.

I recently made the transition back from mlook (+ arrow keys) to non-mlook (+ WASD and an improved way to get SR50), and found it surprisingly straightforward.

Dunno if that will be a problem next time I play any other games. :)

it's not the mlook itself i have a problem with, but when in ut2003 good bots come close to u (they're always moving and stuff), moving the mouse up/down "drastically" (compared to long range aiming up/down), gets difficult and unstable, i either lose control when trying to keep up or move too slow trying to actually see where i'm aiming at. i think i'll just have to make one for myself and see if it helps, anyway.

opulent (and that other ut2003 player) how about a match some time? :) ps i don't have that dodging problem, well i did on some maps because i didn't know them well enough. my problem with dodging is that i never have time to react to the enemies rockets and stuff (i'm starting to get the hang of it though). btw excellent excellent excellent game, no? :)

Doom-Child said:

Razer Boomslang forever!

DC

A great mouse, really comes into it's own for Q3A.:)

"A great mouse, really comes into it's own for Q3A.:)"

Ahhh Q3A, that most slick, fast and ungimmicky of multiplayer shooters. I had one of those laser-eye mouse things once, but it broke in 2 fucking weeks.

gemini09 said:

opulent (and that other ut2003 player) how about a match some time? :) ps i don't have that dodging problem, well i did on some maps because i didn't know them well enough. my problem with dodging is that i never have time to react to the enemies rockets and stuff (i'm starting to get the hang of it though). btw excellent excellent excellent game, no? :)

yeah, I like it... not a lot though. it is too slow for me. I like DOOM/Quake speed.... and I would number you among the players who need that speed as well. maybe you play with 20 bots or something. :D
might be tough to arrange a match... my connection probably isn't fast enough.

yah but there's always dodge-jumping (ut2003's version of strafe-running) to move faster. u can also change the entire game speed...i usually play with few bots since they really slow the game down. but they are godlike though... ;D seeya.

I didn't get into mlooking until Half-Life came out. Mind you I had to get a new computer for that game, so I missed out on a lot of the newer games before it that required playing like that. I managed to get about midway through the first part after things go nuts before realizing the keyboard wasn't cutting it, and from that I formed a control setup that most people would never even consider using. But at any rate, the best way to control the mouse shooting around is to lower the sensitivity. It's much easier to control that way.

the_Danarchist said:

Whatever you use, don't use wireless anything. Wireless == will crap out at random intervals.

True, I hate my wireless optical 5-button shit. Batteries last about half an hour and then I have to keep taking them out, putting them back in and recalibrating it, usually in the middle of a game. I can play with the charger plugged in, so it's like a normal mouse, but the plug is too long and it keeps hitting the sensor and fucking up my aim.