Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Terrcraft

Quake II potential remaster to be revealed this quakecon?

If there is a Quake II remastered soundtrack, I hope it does not get butchered like the live rendition of "Descent Into Cerberon" several years ago at QuakeCon. To this day, I still do not understand what Sonic Mayhem was thinking.

I wouldn’t be surprised if something does get announced in August, even if it turns out to not be this, or if it ends up just being the QII music being remastered and rereleased on vinyl or something, there will definitely be some sort of announcement at QuakeCon this year. Shame they’re choosing to have it virtually yet again, though. 

Hopefully if this is the case and they are to release a QII remaster it will be much like the latest Quake remaster and allow for cross-play, and maybe even some sort of add-on to play the N64 version maps with soundtrack, which are entirely different maps and music from the PC version.

Plus, the PS1 version is a little different too and had a couple new enemies and uses maps from the PC version, the mission packs, and N64 but it’s all condensed quite a bit for a much shorter and far more linear game. I found out early on when I first got QII on PS1 that the only true way to enjoy it was to use a PS1 mouse, so having this experience on mouse + keyboard wouldn’t feel too far off from how it controlled that way on PS1. 

Though, I really hope we eventually see a RTCW remaster over just about anything else. If they added the console exclusive prelude mission set in the Afrika campaign, the Xbox (original) content (shotgun, new enemies) and mixed it with the PS2 version upgrade system, it would be like the ultimate version of RTCW. 

2 hours ago, 7Mahonin said:

Hopefully if this is the case and they are to release a QII remaster it will be much like the latest Quake remaster and allow for cross-play, and maybe even some sort of add-on to play the N64 version maps with soundtrack, which are entirely different maps and music from the PC version.

I too would like to see the N64 mission ported to PC since if nothing else it plays so differently.  If I could be a pedant, 4 of the maps are modified PC maps (4, 7, 11, and 14) and at least another 4 (2, 12, 15, and 16) use components from the PC maps so not sure "entirely" is the right word.  Still leaves like 12 maps that I don't think come from the PC in any capacity.

There were other comments he posted on some random YouTube reupload saying that a vinyl release of the OST is in the works. This is probably for that.

11 minutes ago, Kinsie said:

There were other comments he posted on some random YouTube reupload saying that a vinyl release of the OST is in the works. This is probably for that.

It very likely is, but he’s also been quite vocal in support of a QII remaster since the Q1 remaster came out. I think it’s possible it could be both, but even if it’s just a rerelease of the OST that would be awesome to have anyhow. 

@Blzut3, honestly I haven’t played the N64 port in a long time. I just remember the first level was in both the PS1 and N64 version but that what came after was different between those ports. So I would hope to see it just so I can replay it again and compare the maps you mentioned with their PC (and PS1) counterparts. 

38 minutes ago, 7Mahonin said:

@Blzut3, honestly I haven’t played the N64 port in a long time. I just remember the first level was in both the PS1 and N64 version but that what came after was different between those ports. So I would hope to see it just so I can replay it again and compare the maps you mentioned with their PC (and PS1) counterparts.

My notes if you're curious which maps correspond to what.  Could be more, but I did make this list after a fairly recent fresh playthrough of the PC game so hopefully I didn't miss too much.

Spoiler

Level 0 : Twists
Level 1 : Strogg Outpost - New Prologue, shared with Playstation release
Level 2 : Central Complex - Ground Zero: Lower Mines (setpiece only)
Level 3 : Intelligence Center
Level 4 : Communications Center - Quake 2: Comm Center
Level 5 : Orbital Defense
Level 6 : Docking Station
Level 7 : Strogg Freighter - The Reckoning: Strogg Freighter
Level 8 : Cargo Bay
Level 9 : Zaxite Mines
Level 10 : Storage Facility
Level 11 : Organic Storage - The Reckoning: Lower Hangers
Level 12 : Processing Center - Ground Zero: Eastern Warehouse (Heavily simplified) + Quake 2: Warehouse (setpiece only), Contains drill exit from Quake 2: Drilling Area
Level 13 : Geothermal Station
Level 14 : Detention Center - Quake 2: Detention Center, ending similar to Quake 2: Warehouse
Level 15 : Research Lab - Quake 2: Research Lab (Heavily altered, couple of set pieces and general concept)
Level 16 : Bio-Waste Treatment - Lots of rooms look like The Reckoning: Sewers, Starting room looks like Ground Zero: Tactical Command
Level 17 : Access Conduits
Level 18 : Descent To Core
Level 19 : Command Core

Thankfully the disc was intact. His soundtrack was the best part of the game. A soundtrack remaster alone seems a bit underwhelming for a QuakeCon announcement though, so maybe it is both remaster of game and soundtrack.

1 hour ago, 7Mahonin said:

It very likely is, but he’s also been quite vocal in support of a QII remaster since the Q1 remaster came out. I think it’s possible it could be both, but even if it’s just a rerelease of the OST that would be awesome to have anyhow.

All I'm saying is, don't get excited for something that doesn't end up happening. Like the guys who thought Machinegames were doing an AAA reboot of Quake 1 instead of a mission pack.

If there is, I hope it's like the Quake 1 update, something to add a few minor touch-ups to make it more friendly to modern audiences (so hopefully online is more populated again). I hope though id doesn't start doing what Call of Duty does and re-release all their games once they're more than 5 years old. Ridiculous how many millions of times they will remake/remaster/reboot/sequelize the Modern Warfares.

5 hours ago, Kinsie said:

All I'm saying is, don't get excited for something that doesn't end up happening. Like the guys who thought Machinegames were doing an AAA reboot of Quake 1 instead of a mission pack.

Oh yeah, I wouldn’t go that far. I remember that and felt like they were really overdoing their excitement for a new game when it was very obvious from the beginning that wasn’t the case if you actually dug into it a bit more. I think it is very likely going to be a vinyl press of the Quake II OST, but I guess we’ll know for sure in August. 

Hmm, then I have bought Quake II on GOG for no real reason. Well okay, I started it once on Quad Touch (Android), but never played it really, since I'm playing the Quake I remaster since this year.

I played so far only the Quake II shareware through Quake II RTX with rtx off xD

Yeeah, if Nightdive would do another remaster, it would be great. But didn't take the Quake I remaster already take some years to develop?

43 minutes ago, Kyle07 said:

Hmm, then I have bought Quake II on GOG for no real reason. Well okay, I started it once on Quad Touch (Android), but never played it really, since I'm playing the Quake I remaster since this year.

Well the previous Quake/Doom remasters just upgraded all currently existing versions of themselves so if they do something similar then you didn't buy it for no reason.

Personally begging for a Quake 2 Remaster, Quake 2 is my favourite in the series.

Any potential Q2 remaster would be great, but that needs to include the expansions with all of their enemy improvements: The base enemy AI can end up feeling a little dry. It would also help newer players if there was a more direct means of experiencing these changes in the main campaign, especially for console players who don’t have access to the in-game console (lol).

I’d also like to see the N64 levels and maybe optional PS1 models, but that’s me dreaming too hard for something that might not happen.

14 hours ago, Rudolph said:

If there is a Quake II remastered soundtrack, I hope it does not get butchered like the live rendition of "Descent Into Cerberon" several years ago at QuakeCon. To this day, I still do not understand what Sonic Mayhem was thinking.

Well, the reason it was butchered is because it was live, and live audio is a kind of rocket science. You have a bunch of different inputs that have to be mixed down into one signal for the video editor to use. It's really easy for that to go south, since you don't have the luxury of hours of studio time to get the mix right. As a result the guitar is a bit buried under some really clicky/boxy sounding drums.

Now, that doesn't mean a remaster won't suck. A lot of times they just brickwall the hell out of the original files if they don't have the stems. Remasters are really just a way of saying "How would you like the signal-to-noise ratio to be absolutely fucked?"

15 minutes ago, Koko Ricky said:

Well, the reason it was butchered is because it was live

Oh no, it is because Sonic Mayhem added in this really obnoxious high-pitched synth sound that was not even in the original track.

Like, what the hell? Were they one guitarist short?

45 minutes ago, Rudolph said:

Oh no, it is because Sonic Mayhem added in this really obnoxious high-pitched synth sound that was not even in the original track.

Like, what the hell? Were they one guitarist short?

Both Sonic Mayhem and Mick Gordon are solo artists, so imagine having to bring on a second guitarist. Who would it even be? Along with the janky sounding synth it's clear they didn't have the time or money to do it justice. Considering QuakeCon is not a music venue, it's not surprising. 

1 hour ago, Koko Ricky said:

Along with the janky sounding synth it's clear they didn't have the time or money to do it justice.

Well, the shitty synth had to be a deliberate choice on Sonic Mayhem's part, as the rest of the cover was alright.

At the very least, if money and time were a concern, then I would have just used the original recording and had Mick Gordon play along.

14 hours ago, Kinsie said:

I wouldn't mind this to be honest. I like when game soundtracks get physical releases.

I went to a Walmart one time and decided to check their vinyl section. I was in a bit of disbelief when I saw Quake's soundtrack on vinyl there.

2 hours ago, Rudolph said:

Well, the shitty synth had to be a deliberate choice on Sonic Mayhem's part, as the rest of the cover was alright.

At the very least, if money and time were a concern, then I would have just used the original recording and had Mick Gordon play along.

I'm pretty sure the original recording is there, all of it, and the entire band is playing along. The original drums, guitar, synths are all audible, at least on BFG division. Maybe the "live guitar" was completely muted all along or prerecorded.

What is the point of putting digital music on an analog format? I thought the whole point of vinyls were being analog recordings with more sound details than CDs or other digital medias. If they are going to sell vinyls they should at least get Sascha to re-record the songs.

Remaster or high-rez soundtrack, either would be great with me. That soundtrack was fucking dope.

On 7/2/2022 at 12:08 PM, mrthejoshmon said:

Well the previous Quake/Doom remasters just upgraded all currently existing versions of themselves so if they do something similar then you didn't buy it for no reason.

Personally begging for a Quake 2 Remaster, Quake 2 is my favourite in the series.

I think GOG versions were almost always treated like second class customers. Many steam updates or versions never came to GOG.

I bought Quake II on GOG, because Steam was not offering Quake II in Germany for a long time. Even when Quake II was unbanned in Germany. Then, Quake II appeared on Steam in Germany, but the expansions are till this date not available in Germany. So it was a good decision to go with GOG, which has the base game and the expansions.

Is it really your favorite in the series? Sounds nice! I'm currently playing the second mission pack of Quake I, but I have actually not such a hype for Quake II. Played once the shareware demo and it was okay.

Hope, I will like it as you do. :)

I have the feeling, that I should play after the second mission pack of Quake I rather something completely different or better Quake II, before I play Dimension of the Past. Initially I planned to play DotP after mission pack 2.

If there is a remaster of Quake II, I sure hope it will come with a new, harder difficulty level. I do not know if it is because the game is very generous with supplies or if it is because you can carry most power-ups with you and activate whenever it is convenient to you, but even on the hardest setting, it has never been much of a challenge to me.

That’s why I’d hope for expansion pack support as well, they provide improvements to the enemy AI as well as a few new attacks. These changes aren’t just limited to the expansion pack levels, you can load the original campaign and most custom levels through the expansions themselves to experience these changes. I’d still welcome a difficulty above hard+, and while I’d also really appreciate it to be more comfortably moddable I understand that being pipe dreamy.

2 hours ago, BGrieber said:

These changes aren’t just limited to the expansion pack levels, you can load the original campaign and most custom levels through the expansions themselves to experience these changes.

Really? I did not know that! Is there a page or document online that describes in details said improvements?

Although the expansion packs were harder, I do not remember struggling much with them either.