Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Vorpal

Sleep Paralysis

If you experience this syndrome, write a reply ;)

You would KNOW if you had it; victims tend to suffer from severe feelings of dread while unable to move, and are completely aware of all their senses. Extreme fucking hallucinations can also accompany the experience.

Yeah, I had this 3 times in a row one night. Scared the shit out of me. In fact the most horrible experience I have ever had.

Ravage: The title of the thread, which would be Sleep-Paralysis in case you're too fucked on acid to notice.

Yeah it happens to me every once in a while, and doesn't last long. Mostly right before I have to get up for work in the mornings, waiting for my alarm to go off in a half-sleep state, when I realize I can't move but I'm awake. I've not felt any dread, or seen hallucinations. It's kinda cool. It also happened once after I got drunk one night.

Vorpal said:

Ravage: The title of the thread, which would be Sleep-Paralysis in case you're too fucked on acid to notice.

Actually, I was wondering why you put it into the wrong forum. :P

BTW, I feel that exact same way in school. :P

not exactly dreaful from my experence. It can happen because a normal person's brain shuts down almost all motor functions before REM or deep sleep. this is a safty feature most people are born with. However reactivation can lag if a person is waken suddenly or in an unusal way.

personaly i have experenced it twice and neither time did i feel dread or freaked out. though if u had no idea it could freak you out.

last time it happened i awoke from a dream but found I could not open my eyes. then i could but i could not move other body parts including my neck. within a few seconds i could move my neck and my body started feeling heavy. This ment the rest of my body was coming online, so to speak. it lasted about 20 seconds. The primary cause was at the time i had started useing an SSRI medication for depression. side effects included such actions

my brother has the revers of this and it is much more common. his brain does not shut down all motor functions. He will walk around and do other actions. people have injured them selvs and others in this way. there are even rare cases of killings in this state.

Hmn didn't realize it was the wrong forum, thought this was General... I just have it bookmarked (only one I check... which is rare, heh).

Anyways thanks for the replies, was researching the subject today cuz a friend has it. Good to know it's just a sleep disorder and not paranormal activity, as the stories he told me were truly terrifying. (He didn't know there was a name for this until 2 days ago, which got me started on reading about it).

I'd be interested in hearing about anything that can be seen/heard/felt etc. during these "episodes"...

I get a kick out of those nightmares in which you fall down into the void. Then you suddenly wake up. God I love that adrenaline.

god............last one i suffered was a couple of weeks ago, oh man. I wake up in a cold sweat, cant move or anything, for 3 minutes i sat there, horrified, just before i woke up, I heard this violentlike sound, made in my mind, but it sounded so real, that the shock shook me awake. Weird.

Heh...I think Zaldron said he has this, but he doesn't post here anymore.

I actually have a serious reply to offer to this thread...

I have just one experience, and it was several weeks ago. I took a nap between 4-5 PM or so. I dozed off, and in the midzt of subconscious dozing on my back, I felt a short wave of "night terror" wash over me. I don't know why. Perhaps I hadn't felt scared in a long time, so my brain decided it had to exercise that emotion. For some reason I, how to say it, forcibly opened my own eyes. I could see the room around me, but then quickly felt as if my spinal cord was cut at the neck.

Trying to move but realizing my lower body strength level was an absolute zero at that point, I could feel that wave coming up my sides again, like some sort of black figure, inducing the strongest senses of something-going-to-catch-you, and something-invading-your-sides-and-armpit-area-and-it's-unbearably-ticklish, combined and doubled. Well, I hadn't actually felt that brief feeling again, yet, but I could feel that if I went back to sleep, I would feel it. Not wanting to go back to that dark sense of terror, I yelled for help. I couldn't hear my own voice, but I could hear others responding to my shouting.

As I could hear them come up the stairs, I felt the ability to control myself slowly re-enter my body. First my arms, as I managed to push myself off the bed. In a hard-to-see daze, I got up and walked toward the door, still weak with little sense of balance and blurred vision, not like watery-eye blurred, but the kind of blurred you get by looking out of the corner of your eye, only that confusing sense was in my direct field of vision. I held onto the wall as I walked down the stairs...

Then, shortly after that, I woke up right where I had the nap. It was all a dream. True story.

I used to feel that. I would sometimes wake up and be completely paralized I can feel my body all pricilly like when your foot fall's asleep, and sometimes while I'm falling asleep the same sensation flowing up by body as it shuts down, exept one part of my brain they call a concious. a few days I reached a new fase..I was able to see as if I had no eyelids. I thought my eyes were open but when I tried to close them to get more sleep. I realized they were already closed. So I steped out of bed and realized I was astral projecting. it felt scary at first but now it's exiting..;)

Never happened to me. But a few times I slept on my arm the wrong way and had it completely asleep. No feeling, no movement. Try turning off that damn alarm when you can't move your fingers. :P

god i hate having one of my limbs fall completely asleep, particularly my arm. when it wakes up it feels kinda annoyingly painful.

yeah. i've had it happen before. it's never been really really upsetting, but it's a bummer.

the_Danarchist said:

Heh...I think Zaldron said he has this, but he doesn't post here anymore.

Yeah, I get SP a lot. No halucinations though, just plain ol' sheer terror. Even if it only lasts a couple of seconds, I can't control myself and get all scared and shit about never retaking muscular control again.

That happened to me once in the fifth grade, after a dream of getting burned to death in some kind of cult fire. :P I burned alive in the fire (without any pain mind you!), then kind of came into that state of being aware of things but being unable to move. It was about a full five minutes before I was able to open my eyes or move. It wasn't frightening or anything, but it was pretty disconcerting.