Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
hakros

HakrosTex (Textures pack for classic doom)

Interesting stuff! Bit of an unusual preview though. Would you perhaps be able to create a quick example map so we can look at how the texture pack would work in action better? That's what FoxTex did, for example.

That's a lot of textures. I can't imagine thousands of possibilities we can create out of these.

They also seem to have a distinct style that I haven't encountered before, but that's a good thing.

9 minutes ago, Dubium said:

That's a lot of textures. I can't imagine thousands of possibilities we can create out of these.

They also seem to have a distinct style that I haven't encountered before, but that's a good thing.

Thanks 

They look very nice, I'd like to use on my wads :)

One question, did you design HakrosTex to be used with the default textures of classic doom?

On 7/8/2022 at 11:44 PM, SilentD00mer said:

They look very nice, I'd like to use on my wads :)

One question, did you design HakrosTex to be used with the default textures of classic doom?

Hi, thanks so much.

I'm sorry but no, the textures are not adapted to vanilla doom color pallete.

You will need to convert them before.

Hey @hakros,

Sorry to necro this, but is there ever going to be a consolidated version of this pack?

I'd love to use it, but picking out and assembling piece by piece is time-consuming, and a little frustrating to use. I know you say 'select the category you are most interested in' - but that's not really how most people go about texturing things - people like to mix and match more easily. Like for example, if I'm making a house, I'd prob want a few things from CONCRETE, some DECALS, some FABRIC, some PLASTER, some TILES, etc. - loading all of that as separate pk3s is a bit inconvenient.

These are some great textures, they have a very unique look to them - but, I feel people are not using it as much as they would because of the split category method of releasing this.

Yes, I know it would be a gargantuan file, (just under 500MB likely) some people would have an issue w/ that, but that's not a problem for me, seeing as I am fairly well versed in Slade's maintenance tools - I'd be able to strip the excess fairly easily, I imagine.

I really want to use this pack, but I don't want to have to load all of the packs separately in UDB - that sounds like it would be a pain to assemble in Slade after - seeing as there's so many categories.

I also didn't really want to have to re-organize and assemble it all myself - I just wanted to use a texture pack that you load from one file, just like every other texture pack available, (nearly).

Do you have any plans for a fully collected version of this? I can almost guarantee it'd boost the amount of people willing to use it.

Why not have an optional large download of everything combined? Leave the split categories still available, but provide a link for the complete version?

Anyway, if I've misunderstood anything please let me know. Thanks!

:)

38 minutes ago, Arrowhead said:

Hey @hakros,

Sorry to necro this, but is there ever going to be a consolidated version of this pack?

Hello, If I had actually divided it, it was because of what you said, for the convenience of not having to open a huge file.

I'll try to make an update. ;-) !

Just now, hakros said:

I'll try to make an update. ;-) !

Sounds good, thanks for looking into that - no rush, of course!

1 minute ago, Arrowhead said:

Sounds good, thanks for looking into that - no rush, of course!

;-) !

I would also like to convert them to the doom color palette but I haven't had time to do so.

Release 1.2

After @Arrowhead request, I have added a full version PK3 file with all the textures together.

WARNING: Using a single file may cause the map editor to stop working correctly or freeze, not because of the size of the file but because of the number of images that are included.

Greetings ;-) !

1 minute ago, hakros said:

Release 1.2

Wow, you're very quick!

I will make a deathmatch pack w/ this now! Don't know how many maps, but I'll give you an update sometime when I have something going.

Just tested it and opened it in UDB - I had no issues!

Thanks, again!

I like to have lots of resources to play with.. but this much just seems too much? If I used 1 second per texture scrolling through it would take 10 hours! Loading up the pack took editors mem. usage somewhere around 5 gigs. I'm already cutting down textures on my project because it has way too much of em (13k).. But I looked this pack and there are many cool textures what I could use!

Congrats for massive release. I can't even comprehend how you have managed and created this amount of textures.

47 minutes ago, Jaska said:

I can't even comprehend how you have managed and created this amount of textures.

2 letters, 2 words.

AI

Posted (edited)

Hakros,  not to be a jerk, or anything to you - and maybe I just didn't see it... but if this is AI made, why the hell wouldn't you mention that?

I got a feeling as I went further and further into the set...

I should have known after the Doom Awards fiasco,  I had actually forgotten that was you who had used AI then too. I have no problem with AI related stuff, but it ABSOLUTELY has to be mentioned in your post.

I know I still could make something with these, but...

I feel like a bit of a fool, now, tbh...

:P

Edited by Arrowhead

If it's AI, yeah, propably good to mention it.

But so what? Who cares how textures are made? What if those were made using other procedural tools?

On 3/2/2024 at 9:44 AM, OniriA said:

2 letters, 2 words.

AI

@Arrowhead @Jaska @OniriA

That was funny but no, are not AI textures.

But they are also not like the ones from OTEX, Ukiro did a very good job.

In this case, they are textures (many made by me) but others I have simply acquired for commercial use over the years, this is a compilation of all of them.

What I did have to do is process them all to adapt them to the right size and a more or less acceptable quality.

That's why I distribute them in a project for non-commercial use, because I do not have the right to sell them, only to use them in my own projects.

In any case, I also think it's not a bad idea to use textures made with AI.

Maybe in the future, I will make a specific pack, thanks for the idea!

If they are indeed 100% not made w/ AI - as in:

1) Not made from scratch from an AI

2) Not an edit made by an AI of an existing texture - of any kind

3) Not a batch-edit, or a batch-resize via an AI

- then I of course will apologize. If I'm wrong, I'm wrong. Some things are still concerning about your verbiage, though:

What do you mean by "...process them all to adapt them to the right size and a more or less acceptable quality." - What did you use to process these? If you say AI, my prior point still stands - I doubt you were hand-editing this huge amount of textures in Photoshop or something similar.

What do you mean by acquired for commercial use? As in, these are commercial textures that you've purchased at some point? I'm sorry if I don't understand what you mean. If you say you have no right to sell them, well, then, they're not your textures, are they? Why present them as if they are? The pack is called HakrosTex.

And don't say something like 'nowhere did I say they were all my textures' - I don't think that's fair. Nowhere in your OP do you state these are edited / collected commercial textures... if that is the case - like I said, perhaps I'm misunderstanding. Nor do you state that these are collected textures from other sources - and... really? You're not selling them? I know technically, you aren't - but you're soliciting optional donations for them on itch.io. That seems a little odd - I don't know of any other texture pack developers that are asking for donations - maybe I'm wrong, though - it's especially odd to ask for donations on something that is not 100% your own work.

The way you are presenting this doesn't seem 100% on the 'up and up'.

I want to make something clear, though: If indeed these are not AI (or batch-edited by AI - at all) - then I indeed apologize.

But really, really - can you blame us for assuming so considering the past incident? I know past behavior doesn't equal current behavior by necessity - but surely you can understand why we would be skeptical?

Also, you say you've made some by hand - I'd like to know which textures these are - because I would be happy to use them, I'm just a bit nervous now - what percentage of this massive texture pack's textures are made by you?

That's what I'd like to know - like I said, correct me if I'm misunderstanding - but if these are indeed re-purposed / edited commercial textures, then I don't wish to use them - and I don't know if it is ethical to call this 'HakrosTex' when you have included much work that is not your own.

That should have at the very least been mentioned.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, hakros said:

In this case, they are textures (many made by me) but others I have simply acquired for commercial use over the years, this is a compilation of all of them.

What I did have to do is process them all to adapt them to the right size and a more or less acceptable quality.

That's why I distribute them in a project for non-commercial use, because I do not have the right to sell them, only to use them in my own projects.

Well if that's the case, why slap the HakrosTex logo on it as if to assume you made them all yourself in the first place?

If you took 50 to 70% of those textures from let's say stockphoto, pinterest, various art sites etc. and then edited / processed them then that doesn't make 'em yours either, most if not all the work is done by the artists who initially drew those images. 

And it feels kind of odd that you're only saying this now because I mentioned AI. While you're saying many of them are yours, alot of those textures have a similar style and look to them so which ones are even yours? You might aswell just copy pasted many of them and just recolored them, that doesn't make 'em yours either wink.png

If I suddenly showed up after a month with 7000 textures and call it OniriA-Tex, and tell people to put the OniriA-Tex logo on the wads titlescreen and credit me whoever uses it and then someone notices somethings off and you're like "nah bro actually they're not all mine lol. But many are though."

Feels kind of dishonest, no? 

Posted (edited)
16 minutes ago, hakros said:

Cool, that's an image optimizer - and I'm sure, likely a good tool.

Can you answer / clarify any of mine or OniriA's points we've made about these textures not being 'fully' yours? I don't see how posting your image compression tool answers any of that, nor does it explain how you've created 36,000 textures and countless variations - this may explain how you've re-sized your images - I'm not sure of the full functions of this program - but it does not explain how you've made this many textures.

It also seems like you're avoiding clarifying which textures are, or are not yours.

Please explain how you've made these textures, if they were originally commercial, or not - and also, please specify some that you have made by hand - as you claim. I'd also like to know roughly what percentage of these are 'collected'. Like OniriA mentioned - just because you throw a new coat of paint on something, or color something in, or take a black and white photo and make an identical statue of it. It doesn't mean it's yours. Reminds me *vaguely* of the Jeff Koons legal case (I partially jest) - but then again, I'm no law-scholar.

What we've asked from you is not unreasonable.

Edited by Arrowhead

Posted (edited)

5D2PZEd.png

Taking this computer monitor image and slapping it on a silver gradient does not make it 'your texture.' If this is how 'your' textures are created - recycling easily accessible commercial stock images - then, that's not that good - especially in a legal sense.

Not like I'm Sherlock Holmes, I literally picked the first random tex I thought would be recognizable. I can check others, too, of course, anyone can - but is there any need to? Does anybody wish to use slightly altered stock images as Doom tex?

I know I don't.

Spoiler

Also, please don't direct message me anymore - you have a reputation for posting private messages publicly - if you want to address this - finally - you can do so publicly, please.

And w/ this final message, I will not be responding further - for real. I think I've proven my point.

Edited by Arrowhead