Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Batakanta

Rakija.wad (Short Gauntlet Based Map)

What is Rakija.wad?

Rakija is the collective term for fruit spirits (or fruit brandy) popular in the Balkans. Therefore, it is also enjoyed in my home country of Croatia.

However Rakija.wad is my very first experience with creating levels for Doom II. Having been heavily into classic Doom content for the last 3 years and heavily detesting ZDoom based source ports, I have created a map that runs on limit removing Doom II.

Due to having thousands of hours in Minecraft and being able to build very nice looking structures, those skills translated nicely to Doom mapping. Granted, there is still much for me to learn and I have no doubt the map has many rookie errors though fortunately for you, I prioritized the gameplay over the visuals.

When it comes to the gameplay, I strived to create something thought-provoking. All fights are designed as small gauntlets that seem difficult at first but are quite easily dealth with once the player finds a working strategy. Health is abundant in the map as the challenge comes from individual encounters that can lead to a quick death if the player is careless.

One other note (Spoiler for Secrets):

Spoiler

The secret automap message is a reference to an old Call of Duty video which I included after my friend jokingly suggested I add a penis secret to which I decided to add the message as a way to troll him. It was definitely NOT an attempt at being edgy.

It has been removed in the newer versions.

What level of difficulty should I expect?

The map itself is quite short, taking around 8 minutes to UV Max.

The actual difficulty is lower than Eviternity and every fight has a reliable way of beating it, not to mention the difficulty is in my experience consistent.

However, if you find the map too difficult, feel free to lower the difficulty. Enjoy the game the way you want to, nobody is judging.

What compatibility should I play on?

Doom II (Limit Removing) (-complevel 2)

IWAD: Doom II

Map has been tested with Crispy Doom and prboom+.

If you are using ZDoom based source ports, use the Doom (Strict) compatibility without Jumping, Crouching or Free Look.

<<<<< Download link for Rakija.wad here! >>>>>

Credits:

Level Created by Batakanta.

Title and Intermission Picture taken by Batakanta.

Textures used from OTEX Texture Pack:
https://doom.ukiro.com/about-otex/
Soundtrack created by Maxime Tondreau (Psychedelic Eyeball).

Screenshots:

Spoiler

1659165032_Screenshot(62).png.0dffd98801f238dfb3d3805c1a8e3f5e.png1265566794_Screenshot(63).png.6a11c7e9045cd3f68878cbe78e2faa09.png1811066866_Screenshot(65).png.066340681041f412806a505228331a7e.png

I hope you enjoy the map and I encourage you to share your feedback.

- Batakanta

Edited by Batakanta : Updated Download

You know, I was going to comment on the good qualities of this map, the very minimalistic but effective use of OTEX textures, the puzzle like progression, the occasional flaws such as the slightly flat interior lighting, was going to say how this little cute map bagged me ten minutes of fun...

Then I looked at the automap. Now I don't know whether to laugh, cringe, or report you to the mods. 

Spoiler

image.png.46a11219de841bce17813870f4e06f49.png

Ah, the final frag trap didn't work for some reason. 

Pretty spicy and challenging since you have to contend with tight spaces, hurt floors and are equipped with just the rocket launcher for the most part. Admittedly, it was pretty frustrating a lot of the time, but it is also well made overall. Nicely done, mate.

ok i gotta ask....why is the wad file 70 MB? 

i havent played the wad yet so maybe im in the wrong for asking this, but given the length of the map (as you expressed), i dont think this wad file should be this large, even with OTEX. maybe you accidentally added some thing in your wad files or sth?

5 minutes ago, i suck at nicknames said:

ok i gotta ask....why is the wad file 70 MB? 

i havent played the wad yet so maybe im in the wrong for asking this, but given the length of the map (as you expressed), i dont think this wad file should be this large, even with OTEX. maybe you accidentally added some thing in your wad files or sth?

I just took a look in the WAD file and yeah, my dumbass put way too many OTEX textures, 99% of them being unused. I'll try to get around to fixing that when I get the time.

I'm always down for some rakija. Especially if it's kruškovača.

Pozdrav to a fellow Croat, will be giving this a shot soon.

All fun apart from the final Spider Mastermind fight. Considering how close quarters the rest of the map is, forcing you to engage or constantly be fired upon, being able to hide behind (and constantly run into) pillars was quite a disappointing end to an otherwise very fun little map.

Looks very cool. I'll check it out later tonight.

Our crude humour sometimes bounces off of people the wrong way, so give the guy a break. And I'd consider removing that in public builds in the future if I were you.

Pozdrav iz Nizozemske xx

1 hour ago, UncleTito said:

Looks very cool. I'll check it out later tonight.

Our crude humour sometimes bounces off of people the wrong way, so give the guy a break. And I'd consider removing that in public builds in the future if I were you.

Pozdrav iz Nizozemske xx

Yeah probably a good idea haha.