Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
DeathWolf1982

Favorite Classic horror movie?

Depends on what you mean by "classic". The first thing that popped into my head was the old Hammer films with Peter Cushing, but that's going back a bit. Werner Herzog's Noserfatu is also a masterpiece.

phenomena-locandina.jpg.d3a9f7ebba1b131421b23d6a445a407d.jpg 

Arguably not a horror movie in the strictest sense, but I think it still qualifies. 

Bride of Frankenstein. Masterful performance from Karloff. "You stay, we belong dead", a powerful and chilling final line.

Too many to say but yeah Halloween & Nightmare on Elm Street are among the faves. A really old is Ruby from the 70s.

The 1969 film The Blood of Dracula’s Castle is my favorite horror movie. It’s so bad, but it is a lot of fun and worth seeing. Pretty sure it’s now public domain anyways.

Hellraiser. It's awfully good.

Or for a more serious pick, The Shining. It's not a perfect film, but I saw it as a kid and it changed me. 

Friday the 13th, evil dead, poltergeist series, the blair witch and probably a few others that I enjoyed.

Edit: Oh yeah I forgot to mention "The Exorcist" that movie was killer.

John Carpenter's The Thing.

I also wanted to say John Carpenter's They Live!, but I am not sure that one counts as horror.

Plenty have already name some of my favorites so I’ll toss in Dawn and Day of the Dead, the original Susperia, and Phantasm.

The Thing (Carpenter's version, of course), Suspiria (the original), Cannibal Holocaust, The Evil Dead (original, obviously) and The Beyond are my Top 5. All "classics", I suppose.

However, though it isn't regarded as a horror film, the scariest movie I've ever seen was Threads. A masterpiece in its own right.

Favorite is either The Thing/Alien/The Shining depending on what day it is. 

The 90's remake of Night of the Living Dead, i remeber having watched it when i was 8 or 9 yo and oddly enough it didn't scared me, actually it struck me with a sense of awe and wonder throughout the whole film.

Another favorite is A Nightmare on Elm Street 3; Dream Warriors. The best film of the franchise, although the best Krueguer death belongs to its sequel: Dream Master.

I think I've overthought this, so I'm going with my gut instinct. My favorite horror movie is Evil Dead 2: Dead by Dawn.  After that, The Shining, followed by Shaun of the Dead, and then Hellraiser. And Santa's Slay.

Either Fade To Black or Dawn of The Dead. Fade To Black isn't that well known, but deals with the issue of "These movies are corrupting our youth!" decent enough, especially for a film made in 1980. The plot itself is also pretty good and there are loads of classic film references for people that like that kind of stuff. Intruder and The Burning are also pretty good slasher films, likely two of the best to come out during the 80s.

On 7/4/2022 at 5:22 AM, Valboom said:

The Beyond (..e tu vivrai nel terrore! - L'aldilà).

That acid-drip scene, man.

The Shining probably gets my vote, but I'm partial to Halloween II, as well. The OG Texas Chainsaw Massacre (the 1974 one) deserves mention as well.

Nobody's mentioned Psycho, which is kinda surprising.

For more modern stuff, Se7en is underrated, though that one is arguably more of a thriller than horror. But boy does it have its moments.

Anyone who's seen that movie should know exactly what I'm getting at when I mention things like "car air freshener trees."

Spoiler

Also, the guys playing the cops apparently had no idea that was an actor, not a puppet - so their reactions were very real.

3 hours ago, Dark Pulse said:

Nobody's mentioned Psycho, which is kinda surprising.

Is Psycho a horror movie or a thriller? 

And there's the original Child's play from 1988, it's about an evil man named Charles Lee Ray who transfers his soul to a doll named Chucky. Thanks to some dark voodoo magic, and he goes on a killing spree. which is a good horror movie! also the iconic "Hi I'm Chucky, wanna plaaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyy" phrase after he dies.

Edited by ElmStreetSlasher1984

4 hours ago, Mr. Freeze said:

Is Psycho a horror movie or a thriller? 

Different people consider it one or the other, and frankly I consider both interpretations correct.

i was totally obsessed with the Leprechaun movies when i was a kid. "fuck you, luck charms!"

i was clearly a dumb kid.