Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
kain

windows 2003

hm. i was wondering if windows 2003 would be too much to upgrade to. i wonder if i could still run all my regular programs. i heard it is a mix between windows 2k and xp. kinda like how 2k is a mix between 98 and nt. if anyone has eny experiance, than this would be thanked very much.

hm, my spelling and grammar have gotten better and better, have anyone noticed?

win2k3 was not designed for desktop usage.

It's a nice upgrade if you run win2k server in any capacity, and should be really seriously considered if for some godawful reason you still run nt4.

That being said, you can tweak a win2k3 into desktop use, but it's tedious work for not much real gain.

Isn't XP just win2k with a new gui and more user-friendly features? So what would be the point of mixing Win2k and XP?

Uh. I believe Windows 2003 is just an upgrade to Windows 2000 Server, nothing more, nothing less. They may have stuck some XP features or something in there though. And Windows 2000 IS NT 5.0, but I'm not sure of the version number of 2003.

All I know is XP can run many DOS games and programs that 2000 cannot. Other than that, the differences are meaningless to me.

yea but sound support in xp is shit(8-bit soundblaster) unless a emulator is out that can fix that. honestly i wish someone would make a DOS emulator for XP, like the DOS emulator for DOS and mac

what the hell? i can run any dos program i could run in windows 98. doom, duke nukem, crackz, you name it. flawless.

Windows 2003 is a server product. Windows 2000 is Windows NT 5.0. Windows XP is kind of like a cross between Windows 2000 and Windows 9x, with the stability and features of Windows 2000 and the compatibility of Windows 9x.

VDMSound gets the job done for games like Wolf3D, Cosmo's Cosmic Adventures, and Stunt Driver, but it has like a 5KHz mono output.

We're going to upgrade our mainframe at my work with 2003. And I'm gonna steal it, heoerheoreorhe.

But that DOSBox thing looks very interesting. Hopefully it'll make the first two Duke games and Epic Pinball work well.

AndrewB said:

But that DOSBox thing looks very interesting. Hopefully it'll make the first two Duke games and Epic Pinball work well.

Only one thing I want to know. Does it run doom.exe?

AndrewB said:
Epic Pinball

Heh... I remember that game. Man, it's been years since I even thought of that too...

any of you heard of Windows Longhorn? some supposed new operating system aimed for release date of around late 2004 - early 2005. im currently dling some leaked alpha or some crap. gotta find me a small hd to install it to, so nothin messes up on my current one.

ditto. i will do the same with windows 2003. someone told me longhorn sux.

kain said:

hm, my spelling and grammar have gotten better and better, have anyone noticed?

It seems so, except you still don't use capitals. :P

ravage said:

Only one thing I want to know. Does it run doom.exe?

I don't think so, but I didn't check. First of all, it emulates everything. My 1GHz P3-M with 512MB memory and 512kb L1 cache can barely pump out Duke Nukem 2 and Epic Pinball at a fluid rate. It's very processor-intensive. But if you have the power, it doesn't matter once you're playing the came.

Epic Pinball is an awesome game. Hundreds of hours of play value. I bought all 13 tables on CD several years ago. Best $62 I ever spent on a game. I find that the most fun tables are the easier ones, that last longer. I mean, it's better to settle in for a 10-minute game of pinball than those over-and-over 40-second quickies that suck up your balls faster than you can get comfortable in your seat.

These are my favorite tables, in this order...

04: Crash And Burn (Easily the highest-scoring table, and player-friendly). (Tie for 1st)
02: Pot Of Gold (The longest-lasting table. ) (Tie for 1st)
08: Enigma (Totally weird but very fun, yet frustrating.)
06: Deep Sea (Great atmosphere, high-scoring, long-lasting, mysterious.)
01: Android (Just a high-quality table.)
09: CyborGirl (Very unique table. Strange concept. But has some things to discover, although usually not enough time to discover them.)
05: Magic (By far the lowest scoring table. It's a quickie table, but it's very simple, so there aren't any great things that you can't find out because the game never lasts very long.)
07: Jungle Pinball (It's an okay table, lasts adequately long, and has some things to discover.)
10: Pangaea (Dinosaur table, not all that many things to discover, moderate-lasting.)
13: African Safari (Hardest table. There are a heck of a lot of things to discover, but almost no time as the balls keep going down the drain. Still, because it's REALLY quick, there's usually something new each time.)
11: Space Journey (Hard table. The ramps are quite hard to climb. Hard to achieve tasks. A few things to discover.)
12: Toy Factory (Again, hard. Not very many things to discover, with moderate time to discover what relatively little there is.)
03: Excalibur. (Just a boring theme, and it doesn't last long at all.)

i dont get it. windows 2000 can run anything in dos. no matter what. so why do you people still say that xp can run more dos programs than 2000?? i think its visa versa.

kain said:

i dont get it. windows 2000 can run anything in dos. no matter what. so why do you people still say that xp can run more dos programs than 2000?? i think its visa versa.

Wrong.

kain said:

Windows 2000 is more nasty to black programs than the Republican party.

AndrewB said:

Actually the older the dos game the better chance of it working. XP seems to have problems with some of the later sound code developed for the last sound cards developed in the DOS era. DOSBox doesn't solve all the problems. Yet.