Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Mamalyth

Megalyth Brendt Pantley R.I.P

mega was a cool dude. i missed him when he moved on from doom and i'm missing him even more now

sorry for your loss.

Oh no! :(

I admit, I actually did not know (or at least remember) who Megalyth was, so I had to look him up and I saw that he contributed to projects that I very much liked, such as the The Way Id Did (including that awesome Commander Keen-themed secret level alongside Xaser Acheron!) and the Switcheroom mapsets. I will forever be grateful to him for all the entertainment he provided us with his expertly-designed Doom levels.

If there is an afterlife, I hope it is treating him well. I hope you will be fine too, Sam.

Edited by Rudolph

I am not going to start this with the expected responses: Sorry for your loss and my condolences.

Every user expresses themself in their own way, so instead, i want to focus on the kind of designer Megalyth were.

The DoomWiki on Megalyth lists the following:

Spoiler

Body of work

Pot City (Doomworld/idgames)

Master (Doomworld/idgames) (with Stephen McGranahan (SoM))

Toke It Up! (Official site)

MAP02, MAP04 & MAP06 (with Toke)

Doom the Way id Did (Doomworld/idgames)

E2M7: Ore Processing

Esselfortium's Birthday Cave (Doomworld/idgames)

Lakeside (Doomworld/idgames)

TTVZone! Collection 1 (Doomworld forums thread)

MAP27: Nukage Hanger Processing Command Base

MAP35: Oh God, Spiders

Doom 2 the Way id Did (Doomworld/idgames)

MAP21: Passage to Exile

MAP31: Vorticon (with Xaser Acheron)

Doomworld Mega Project 2013 (Doomworld/idgames)

MAP20: Have a Soup and a Sandwich

Switcheroom (Doomworld/idgames)

E4M1: They That Dwell Within

Plutonia 1024: The Plutinya Experiment (Doomworld/idgames)

MAP13: Burgalveist

Joe-Ilya's Birthday night (Doomworld/idgames)

MAP10: Donal Logue

Countergoat Initiative (Doomworld/idgames)

MAP25: Pot City

50 Shades of Graytall (Doomworld/idgames)

MAP03: The Gray, the Blu, and the Trakly

Rayzik's Birthday Gauntlet (Doomworld/idgames)

megalyth-town-wip (Doomworld forums thread)

Switcheroom: The Forgotten Maps (Doomworld/idgames)

E1M3: Hell Plant (with Micah Petersen (Jaws in Space))

Doom 64 for Doom II (Doomworld/idgames)

MAP18: Dark Entries

The Garden of Guns (Doomworld forums thread)

Switcheroom 2 (Doomworld/idgames)

MAP09: Starport

MAP21: Dark Descent

MAP31: Wolfenstein's Monster

Megalyth was a designer who took part into some of the more memorable mapsets of the nu-Doom era - The most obvious one being Doom 1 and 2 the way id Did, but also Switcheroom, Doom 64 for Doom II, 50 Shades of Graytail.

To me they demonstrate a desire and passion for re-envigorating the classics to a newer standard, whilst breathing in the oxygen of those very same classics. To me it demonstrates a knack for endearing and intricate level design, playing a part in the minds of many mappers. Megalyth's maps influence others.

So this isn't a final goodbye in my book. Throughout his levels, Megalyth's influence will shine on, having now become part of Doom's legacy.

You will be missed, Megalyth.

@Mamalyth please share your gofundme and everything else that may help you and your relatives in these difficult times.

I wasn't that familiar with Megalyth, but I looked on Doomwiki and found the contributions to some great levels and mapsets.

Either way, I give my condolences to his family. RIP Megalyth

These are really awful news, it's really sad to see a long time community member pass away. My condolences to all of his family and loved ones, and may he rest in peace.

Megalyth was an inspiration - an omnipresent fixture in the Doom Community who always spoke through his work. His absence will be felt.

My condolences to you and your family.

Sam, I'm so sorry to hear about this. I can't imagine what you and your son are, and will be, going through. Megalyth came into the community around the same time as me in the late 90s and I'm really at a loss for words here. He was a thoughtful dude that contributed to this community in a lot of ways.

His legacy here will live on through his work and the relationships he made. My thoughts are with your family.

Heart-breaking news, he was a really talented mapper and I always enjoyed reading his posts around here.

May he rest in peace.

That is very awful news. I am sorry for your and your son's loss. He will be missed.

I'm so sorry for you and your son's loss, Sam, this is really heartbreaking and unexpected for me, even though I have never talked to Megalyth.

Love and blessings to you and family during this time. Megalyth was unique. My deepest condolences. R.I.P.

Megalyth always came across as a decent person on here, and he produced some of the highlights from the only Wad we both partook in (Switcheroom 2). He certainly left his impression on the community with the broad spectrum of wads he worked on

He will be sorely missed from this community and I can only hope that you and your son are getting all the support you need at this time.

Oh shit, this is most unexpected. You have my condolences, though I did not know him that well but he has been a longtime member of the Doom community.

RIP.

My sincerest condolences. Losing a parent at only 7 is a horrible thing :( I hope and pray you and your son have a caring family around to help you somehow get through this. "Megalyth" has always been a positive presence on these boards for the 20+ years I have been here. Love

Megalyth struck me as a good and fun dude, his commentary was pithy and forthright and he was one of my favorite folks to see around in any thread.  And what a prolific contribution of cool maps he gave us.  I'm stunned that he's gone now, I can't imagine what you and the rest of the family are feeling.  It's hard to take in always, I wish you the best through this and know that he was well-loved here.