Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
ViolentBeetle

[MBF21 CP] DIY - Getting imaginative with simple colors. [Now on IDGAMES]

1 hour ago, kraflab said:

I'm looking into the crash in dsda-doom right now. It's caused by the face replacements but I'm not sure exactly why yet. Deleting all of them (STFST* etc) prevents the crashing. Is there anything special about these replacements? Are they all the typical size?

I didn't see anything odd, seem like simple recolors.

22 hours ago, NoisyVelvet said:

7Soul (changed name to @rouge_means_red, not sure what they want creditted as)

@ViolentBeetle You can leave it as 7Soul in the text file, changing my name turned out to be more trouble than I thought so I'll change it back when possible

My midi is "Carrotus" from Jazz Jackrabbit 2 by MaliceX

On 7/18/2022 at 1:41 PM, ViolentBeetle said:

In January @xvertigox has proposed this project - making maps out of simple flat color textures. Unfortunately, he was unable to finish the project due to health issues. But we got 32 maps and now I am taking over the project management in hope of making to completion. So the compilation is ready for public reveal.

>>>GET THE COMPILATION HERE<<<

Wonderful; thanks for resurrecting this!  I'm always so happy when I see another Violentbeetle community project; I still get warm fuzzes just thinking about Hellevator.

Map 2 (RC0): One of the two secrets has a very strange hall-of-mirrors (visible from inside and outside).  Tested with software rendering, recent-ish dsda-doom (0.24.2 I think).

18 hours ago, GoneAway said:

I'm looking into the crash in dsda-doom right now. It's caused by the face replacements but I'm not sure exactly why yet. Deleting all of them (STFST* etc) prevents the crashing. Is there anything special about these replacements? Are they all the typical size?

Thanks for looking into this!

Really like the aesthetic of this wad. The chaingunner in particular is a great sprite replacement

7 hours ago, siege cunt said:

Wonderful; thanks for resurrecting this!  I'm always so happy when I see another Violentbeetle community project; I still get warm fuzzes just thinking about Hellevator.

Map 2 (RC0): One of the two secrets has a very strange hall-of-mirrors (visible from inside and outside).  Tested with software rendering, recent-ish dsda-doom (0.24.2 I think).

This CP is started by xvertigox, ViolentBeetle took over the project after majority of submissions are finished. ;)

Gotta say, these less textured visuals are interesting to look at, particularly in software mode. I gotta check this out sometime.

47 minutes ago, Pistoolkip said:

the sprites still look weird, but the levels are very creative and fun, so I decided to make a few videos on these. Here's the first!
@RastaManGames

Thank you kindly!

Hm... Seems like the music was messed up on my MAP03?

I mean, I've attached wanted music in archive and even included it in the *.wad along with proper UMAPINFO...

P.S.: Yeah, GZDoom said that there is none of "CONSSITE" music is found... I am attaching it here for purpose.

P.P.S.: Is our project suggests a freelook or none of it?

Edited by RastaManGames

20 minutes ago, RastaManGames said:

Thank you kindly!

Hm... Seems like the music was messed up on my MAP03?

I mean, I've attached wanted music in archive and even included it in the *.wad along with proper UMAPINFO...

P.S.: Yeah, GZDoom said that there is none of "CONSSITE" music is found... I am attaching it here for purpose.

P.P.S.: Is our project suggests a freelook or none of it?

Thanks

Yeah I got an error message about the missing music.

There was no read me and the DW topic said nothing about freelook, but most mappers say it's optional. I usually play without unless a map specifically needs it, or is GZDoom only or something. 

On 7/20/2022 at 11:07 PM, Pistoolkip said:

There was no read me and the DW topic said nothing about freelook, but most mappers say it's optional. I usually play without unless a map specifically needs it, or is GZDoom only or something. 

Okay, then please wait for V3 of my entry.
You got it right in toilet stalls. There was shootable buttons, but seems like they are too high for player w/o freelook enabled.

Gonna lower them down for a bit, so they can be accessible even for vanilla players.

P.S.: Here is the V3 of my MAP03. Only lowered secret buttons, so every player can activate them via shooting.

(File was removed to resolve some space on my DW account...)

Edited by RastaManGames

6 hours ago, Nefelibeta said:

This CP is started by xvertigox, ViolentBeetle took over the project after majority of submissions are finished. ;)

Indeed I'm sorry I did not give proper credit, thanks for correcting me.

Still, I'm always grateful for all the great stuff ViolentBeetle does.

Speaking of great stuff, I played and loved your map 30, but was not sure about one thing:

Spoiler

In the dmn03 basement style fight, the side door to escape opens very early, and I just immediately exited and looped around and waited for the cyber to kill everything.  Was this intended?  It seemed to completely remove the difficulty.

Separately, just a suggestion: would you consider crushers for some of the hell knight and revenant turrets?

Anyway, this map is amazing, the combat was really interesting, and of course I feel you used the assets wonderfully.  The ending certainly means I won't do a d2all lol, though it was an interesting twist to allow the wallrun, which was more helpful than I expected.

42 minutes ago, siege cunt said:

stuff2

If you really want to release the archies early and make the fight easier for yourself, go for it I guess. Wouldn't hurt if a fight can be made easier.

Hmm, why do you want to crush HKs and revs? Seems to be totally fine. Mancubuses take a while to teleport though, I might take a look at it later.

About the finale, heh since this was meant to be map32 instead of map30. I went wild with the placement here, however if you're fast enough you can skip the entire fight. So Speed isn't exactly screwed. ;)

On 7/19/2022 at 1:48 PM, CblBOPOTKA said:

Seems like these damaging sectors are not intended @Colossus :

Hide contents

damaging_map20.png.6389b14a9d27709a244e605814ba594f.png

Yeah, the damaging sector wasn't intended. if whoever is compiling the wad would be down to change that, would be awesome.

On 7/20/2022 at 1:53 PM, Nefelibeta said:

If you really want to release the archies early and make the fight easier for yourself, go for it I guess. Wouldn't hurt if a fight can be made easier.

Hmm, why do you want to crush HKs and revs? Seems to be totally fine. Mancubuses take a while to teleport though, I might take a look at it later.

About the finale, heh since this was meant to be map32 instead of map30. I went wild with the placement here, however if you're fast enough you can skip the entire fight. So Speed isn't exactly screwed. ;)

I did a quick max attempt (dying just after the 3 keys door like an idiot) where you can see the major cheese i do in the basement.  basically i completely de-fang the fight.  you can also see the slow cleanup of the hk/revs, but it's fine as you say.  this demo is against rc0, recorded with the current dsda 0.25 beta, shouldn't desync i hope. 

diy30m-cheese.zip

this really should have been a max, oh well.

Just noticed that my handle is listed incorrectly as "ryiro" instead of "ryiron" in the MAPINFO. It displays incorrectly at the end of the map.

A bunch of the maps still have version numbers in their names, which should be removed.

Just wanted to say that I am still with you, even though I went silent, I will be back at it in a couple of days, pull in all the updates, fix the mapinfo and start diversifying skies.

I'll note who explicitly said they want to have starry skies. If the map is brightly lit, probably day sky would be better. I also cooked up a Thy Flesh Consumed kind of sky.

CLOUDS_S.png

There's also an option for overcast sky that can be made in different colors.

One thing I can easily do is to add moon to the starry sky. Anyone wants a moon on their night sky?

By the way, check out this VOD. Vile was a great help for my projects in the past, as of writing it I haven't seen it but you'll probably glean some insight from it.

Part 1

Part 2

22 hours ago, ViolentBeetle said:

One thing I can easily do is to add moon to the starry sky. Anyone wants a moon on their night sky?

Explicitly saying that my map requires starry sky. And also it already contains the moon)

I've had been watching this project for a while and being a fan of Spendos 1 bad wad, I was looking forward to playing it.  In the end, I feel it exceeded my expectations.  There's so many cool and varied ideas in this wad and it carries that undefinable (for me) charm from 1badwad.  I likened it to Poogers as beyond the basic mission of the wad, everyone seemed free to come up with their own relatively unrestricted ideas.  Good job and thanks for bringing this all together!  I noticed a few things in my playthrough (skill 4):

Spoiler

map23 - I think the monster teleporters can be redesigned to make them faster since the lingering monsters tend to take quite a while to appear after everything else is dead.

map29 - there were some monsters stuck together in one of the monster closets meant for the pyramid area.

Maybe a minor thing but I missed the gibbing sound effect from Spendo's wad (originally from Strife, I believe), not sure if that was something considered but it'd be cool for it to return here.

On 7/24/2022 at 2:47 AM, ViolentBeetle said:

By the way, check out this VOD. Vile was a great help for my projects in the past, as of writing it I haven't seen it but you'll probably glean some insight from it.

LOL, on MAP03 there is not only not my chosen music, but also old MAPINFO with wrong map name & author.

I have replaced the archive link in the main post. It should contain all the updates and fixes posted here and attached CREDITS.txt file should also track all the reported midis.

Most of the maps seem to be designed for night, I have altered sky on the few that seem to assume bright ambient light or used monochrome texture (Which I didn't think looked good). This can be easily undone if I misunderstood the intentions.

I was not able to replicate the crash so I'm not sure what can be done about it. Is it really the mugshot?

Since I didn't see it in the credits.txt, the music for my map is "Lab 16's Ruins" from Chrono Trigger.

By the way, I think we could still use a secret exit. Thanks to UMAPINFO it doesn't need to be map15, but I think it's best to put it in mid-section. Any volunteers?

I think not being overcomplicated secret exit isn't a good idea, just maybe stick a button in a couple of existing secrets and have them open alternate exit near the normal.

One more thing for today. I tried my own take on altering the sprites, not sure if it was a success. I basically turned every group of 8 colors into one.

The only one who doesn't follow those rules is a zombieman, whom I had to recolor a bit to not look identical to shotgunner.

Wad included contains altered set of sprites, to load on top of DIY wad.

altsprite.zip

So those are replacement sprites I ran with for a while. I decided to show them off.

sheet.png

I think I might have overdarkened the brown, I should check that. Still, visibility improved significantly.