Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Pegleg

IronEagle Competition 45: Respawned: Back from Hell

Welcome back (or welcome for the first time) to a new month of the IronEagle competition, the ironman challenge that welcomes all comers, regardless of your skill or experience. Do you like Doom? Then come join our party!

This month, participants will challenge themselves against Respawned: Back from Hell, a 12-map vanilla-compatible mapset by the Cacoward-winning mapper, @Zalewa. Respawned: Back from Hell tells the story of Doomguy having to escape back to Earth from the clutches of Hell.

Participants must play these maps on complevel 2 or Doom(strict). The included DeHacked file only changes the map names and story text.

Respawned: Back from Hell starts at Map 01. Survival is finishing Map 12. There are no secret maps.

Download Respawned: Back from Hell.

Congratulations to this month's winners (further details are in the post below).

UV: @dt_ (Runner-up: @NaZa)

HMP: @LadyMistDragon (Runner-up: @SCF)

HNTR: @Andromeda (Runner-up: Pegleg)

Spoiler
  • Template for Chocolate Doom:
    • -iwad doom2.wad -file rspnhell.wad -deh rspnhell.deh -skill <x> -warp 01 -record <IErespawn>

• Template for PRBoom+:
    • -iwad doom2.wad -file respnhell.wad -complevel 2 -skill <x> -warp 01 -record <IErespawn>

• Template for ZDoom:
    • -iwad doom2.wad -file rspnhell.wad  +compatmode 2 -skill <x> +map 01 -record <IErespawn>
      • it is possible you may have to use +set skill <x> for GZDoom

• <x> must be replaced by the skill level. 2 = HNTR, 3 = HMP, 4 = UV
  • <IErespawn> would be replaced with whatever you decide to call your demo, if you're submitting a demo

Rules:

The rules are basically the same as they have been. Either demos or streams are permissible. If you are creating a demo, post the demo. If you are streaming, post a video of the stream. Even if streaming, you can still submit a demo, if you want to.

The basic rule is that you submit a demo/stream played at a particular difficulty level (HNTR, HMP, or UV) and you play without saving and reloading, ending your run when you die (or survive).

The following are allowed (but not required):

• Freelook (Zalewa recommends disabling freelook, but "it's up to you")
  • Crosshair
  • Mods that are COSMETIC ONLY

The following are NOT allowed:

• Crouching
  • Jumping
  • Mods that change ANY aspect of base gameplay, including (but not limited to) enemy behavior, enemy speed, player abilities, player speed, weapon damage, ammo, and enemy drops.

Further, more specific, rules are listed below:

Spoiler

• Submissions (except for streams, as described below) must include a demo.
    • You may practice a mapset if you want, but these practice runs should not be submitted as your official entry, and your run would be Category 2, unless there are exceptional circumstances (such as described below).
  • A run must be done in a singular sitting with no saves. (With room for breaks. This will be addressed below.)
  • Streams and video runs are accepted provided you post a video of the stream/run or a link to the video.
    • If you post a video of the stream, you may post a demo if you want, but it is not mandatory. You may also post a demo if you, for some reason, do not want to post the video or a link.
  • Secret levels, if present, do not have to be completed for a survival run. If they are completed, they are extra credit.

Any port is accepted provided it will actually run the mapset. There is no preference.

Spoiler

Of course, if you want to try a limit-removing/Boom map in Chocolate Doom, be my guest. However, be aware that your run may be over rather quickly. Don't say you weren't warned.

Category System:

• Category 1: Blind run.
    • This explains itself. You have no knowledge of the wad and have not played/seen it before. I'm willing to be somewhat lenient with this Category.
      • For example, if you die early in Map 01, and then decide to play again for your run, you can still call it Category 1.
  • Category 2: Non-blind.
    • If you have played the wad before and/or possess significant foreknowledge, your run is non-blind. Basically, anything that is not Category 1 is Category 2.

If you're unhappy with your blind run, feel free to record a new run, and submit that run instead. (Just don't submit your first run.) If you want to submit your first run, no matter how you perform, by all means, go ahead and do it. You shouldn't feel that you HAVE to submit a run you're dissatisfied with, just to preserve a "Category 1" status. If you want to go back and submit a second run, you're welcome to do so, but, at this time, it won't be counted.

Difficulty System:

You may submit a demo/stream for only one of HNTR, HMP, or UV. Choose only one, because subsequent submissions will be rejected (i.e., if you submit a HMP demo, the HNTR demo you then submit will be rejected). We're not using the 1CC rule set here. Your first submission is what counts.

Only runs from the same difficulty will be pitted against each other. Each difficulty will be graded separately.

Submission:

When you submit your run, please the include the following information:

• The category (1 or 2)
  • The difficulty
  • Whether you survived and the time of your survival
  • If you didn't survive, which map you died on
  • If you didn't survive, the time when you reached that map
  • The port you used (if you included a demo)
  • A link to the stream/video (if you did a stream)

You may include a commentary about the maps or details about them, if you want to. If you do include specific information about the map (e.g. "The demon trap in Map 08 is rough"), please put it in a spoiler, so that people that want a completely blind experience won't be tipped off. In you're just putting in a general comment (e.g., "Pro tip: don't get hit"), then no need for a spoiler.

Attempting to max the maps is not necessary to win.

Ranking for this mapset will be determined by:

• Survival
  • Total time for survival
  • Map where you died
  • Time upon entering the map where you died
  • Total kill count in the map where you died

If you die, please wait a few seconds before quitting.

Breaks:

Everyone gets tired. Sometimes people survive longer than they expected. Nature calls. Every now and then, there are family emergencies. Needing to take a break shouldn't necessarily end a promising run. While you should try to complete the run in a single setting, this isn't always possible. If you have to take a break, try to make it quick.

Happy Dooming!

Previous IronEagle Competitions

Spoiler

• 1 (Oct.): Scientist 2 (Winners -- UV: leodoom85   HMP: n/a   HNTR: Liberation)
  • 2 (Nov.): Vanguard (Winners -- UV: Bdubzzz   HMP: n/a   HNTR: Liberation)
  • 3 (Dec.): Crumpets (Winners -- UV: NoisyVelvet   HMP: n/a   HNTR: Pegleg)

• 4 (Feb.): Dark Covenant (Winners -- UV: kmc   HMP: n/a   HNTR: Pegleg)
  • 5 (Mar.): Brood of Hatred (Winners -- UV: Bdubzzz   HMP: Crusader No Regret   HNTR: Pegleg)
  • 6 (Apr.): Riot Control (Winners -- UV: Bdubzzz   HMP: Walter Confetti   HNTR: Pegleg)
  • 7 (May): Scimitar (Winners -- UV: Bdubzzz   HMP: Crusader No Regret   HNTR: Pegleg)
  • 8 (Jun.): Bauhaus (Winners -- UV: vdgg   HMP: Crusader No Regret   HNTR: Pegleg)
  • 9 (Jul.): Bloody Steel (Winners -- UV: Bdubzzz   HMP: n/a   HNTR: Pegleg)
  • 10 (Aug.): The Brotherhood of Ruin (Winners -- UV: leodoom85   HMP: n/a   HNTR: Pegleg)
  • 11 (Sept.): Flashback to Hell (Winners -- UV: kmc/Bdubzzz   HMP: n/a   HNTR: Pegleg)
  • 12 (Oct.): A Taste for Blood (Winners -- UV: Bdubzzz   HMP: n/a   HNTR: Pegleg)
  • 13 (Nov.): Back to Basics (Winners -- UV: Bdubzzz   HMP: Horus   HNTR: Pegleg)
  • 14 (Dec.): Whitemare (Winners -- UV: Bdubzzz & NaZa   HMP: Crusader No Regret   HNTR: Pegleg)

• 39 (Jan.): The Talosian Incident (Winners -- UV: mhrz   HMP: PsychEyeball   HNTR: Major Arlene)
  • 40 (Feb.): Apokalypsis (Winners -- UV: Maribo   HMP: Goofy_1966   HNTR: Andromeda)
  • 41 (Mar.): Breach and Brigandine (Winners -- UV: SCF   HMP: head_cannon   HNTR: Major Arlene)
  • 42 (Apr.): Nex Credo (Winners -- UV: mhrz   HMP: Crusader No Regret   HNTR: Andromeda)
  • 43 (May): Ezekiel (Winners -- UV: dt_   HMP: LadyMistDragon   HNTR: Pegleg)
  • 44 (Jun.): Elegy (Winners -- UV: mhrz   HMP:    HNTR: Andromeda
Edited by Pegleg : EDIT: Add monthly winners and runners up.

HMP, Category 1

Died on Map 05 with 155 kills

Exited Map 04 at 38:31

DWIE-22-07_Rspnhell_SCF.zip

What an incredibly stupid death after playing it safe the whole time.

Spoiler

Wanted to BFG the spider demon and then finish her off with the shotgun from safety, but I waited juuuust long enough that the door closed behind me right as I entered, so I got trapped and died.

Also, strange wad. Why is there a BFG on map 2?

UV, Category 1
Dead on Map04 @ ~36:40

47/223 Kills

ie45_rspnhell_maribo.zip

Spoiler

Was probably going to bail in a map or two anyway because this is just hitscan hell over and over on UV.

"Yeah, I can handle the BFG well. Why dodge?"

UV cat 2 MAP04, 214/223 kills

Honestly bitter, was doing great and had the map in my pocket. Oh well

ironeagle_jul22_naza.zip

Category: 1

Difficulty: HMP

Dead at 1:15:34 in Map 07 with 11/18 killed

Did I tell you how revolting I find Dead Simple clones? Did I tell you how annoyed I get when any part of any map is a literal infighting parade? Well, I did last through the first section, but not through the second as it turns out.

Notes:

I think this might have gone ok on UV but I kind of wanted to see more of it. Turns out that's quite viable

Map 02's title makes me think the author watched Kikoskia

I liked the placement of the Hell Knight at the bottom of a lift in the same map because it keeps you on your toes.

Was Map 05 a deliberate troll? That almost sounds like a "Waltz of the Demons" remix.

There was a shotgunner in a hallway on Map 03 just after the brick hall with slime visible on the sides that quite amused me here. Maybe you can figure out why. I've kind of forgotten.

lmd_eagle_rspwn.zip

Category: 2

Difficulty: HNTR

Dead on Map 02

Kills: 29/165

Time: 7:58 (entered Map 02 at 6:07)

ie_pegleg_respawned.zip

Honestly, I figured I wouldn't start having trouble until Map 03, and probably would be able to make it to Map 05 without too much trouble. Oh well. These are the joys and sorrows of ironmanning.

Cat 1, UV, Dead on MAP04

Spoiler

holy shit I love hiding behind corners for 30 minutes, 0 hp and full of hitscanners, terrible gameplay.

"oh good there's only a spider on this side" amazing teleporter, my bad for not hearing the 2nd one I guess :)

IErspn_mhrz.zip

IErespnhellHMPhc.zip

Category 1, HMP, PrBoom+

Dead in MAP04 with 172 kills.

Spoiler

A real heartbreaker. I nearly made it out of the big Revenant battle, there was only one left, but then I botched a dodge while fighting on a staircase and a max damage rocket ended my run.

The lighting was a bit flat, but the texturing was solid. Those were some really entertaining dungeon crawls; I'll definitely be revisiting this one with saves to see a bit more of it and redeem myself for falling just short of getting to see MAP05.

A thank you to everyone who came out and challenged themselves against Respawned: Back from Hell. We'll be back in August for another month of Doom, and I hope to see everyone back, and with a few friends in tow.

Without further ado, here are the standings for this month's IronEagle.

UV

1. dt_ (Map 05)
  2. NaZa (Map 04)
  3. mhrz (Map 04)
  4. BoxY (Map 04)
  5. Maribo (Map 04)
  6. Suitepee (Map 03)
  7. NoisyVelvet (Map 01)

HMP

1. LadyMistDragon (Map 07)
  2. SCF (Map 05)
  3. head_cannon (Map 04)