Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Captain Red

Metroid Metroid Metroid. Help.

Well, if somebody can ask how to beat Gonarch in HL, I guess I can ask about getting through a bit in Super Metroid... OK, there’s this room with three little critter things that seem to be dancing. They see me and sort of zig-zag jump up the wall, this is the first I’ve seen them in the game. To get here, I fell into a pit witch a can't escape from, and I had to cross a long spike pit with hopping frog with one blue eye, and fat bee whatsits

I know this is a little hard to follow, but if it sounds familiar...

You have to wall jump up the big chasm that you fell down. it's very hard to accomplish at first. you jump towards a wall, and as soon as you come in contact with the wall, hit a and the opposite direction. keep doing this like a million times and you'll be out of there.

Ct_red_pants said:

Well, if somebody can ask how to beat Gonarch in HL, I guess I can ask about getting through a bit in Super Metroid... OK, there’s this room with three little critter things that seem to be dancing. They see me and sort of zig-zag jump up the wall, this is the first I’ve seen them in the game. To get here, I fell into a pit witch a can't escape from, and I had to cross a long spike pit with hopping frog with one blue eye, and fat bee whatsits

I know this is a little hard to follow, but if it sounds familiar...

Well, do to the Metroid TC (tm...heh!) I've been playing Super Metroid a lot lately. Here's the trick to getting out of there. Assuming you don't want the secret rockets. You have to always make sure you do that jump where you're in a ball, so to speak. What you do is stand on the opposite side of the wall you intend to do the zig-zag jump from. Then, when you do that spin-ball-jump, you quickly press the exact opposite direction on the direction pad followed by the jump button by a fraction of a second. Wash, rinse and repeat and you should get to the first ledge. When you do so, there is a wall that will break away if you bomb it while in morphball mode. You use a second bomb to blow you up into the passage and then you can leave.

Dingus Khan said:

Afraid not. Shigeru Myamoto really fucks you with that one.

Miyamoto had nothing to do with Metroid until Metroid Fusion and Prime. He had some small creative oversight input on those projects, because the original designer and producer of the Metroid series, Gunpei Yokoi, died a few years ago, shortly after leaving Nintendo to found his own game system technology firm. Apparently Nintendo was going to abandon the series after his departure, but Miyamoto made a big deal out of it at a press conference and there was a lot of display of support for the series. Thus we have the new games, and thank goodness cuz they're awesome.

As for the pit, you do not HAVE to learn the wall jump to get out. You CAN, and if you do, you'll get a chance to collect a power bomb, which you can launch yourself over to in ball form with some well placed bombs (much easier if you have the spring ball, but you don't get than until later). If you cannot make the wall jump, there's a small platform jutting out fairly low on the left hand side of the shaft. If you bomb around on that platform a bit, you'll find a secret passage in the wall, which will drop you out in the shaft you entered this area of Brinstar from.

What Quasar said.

Scuba Steve said:
God I hate the walljump. So retarded.

o_O The walljump is the coolest move in the game. Like straferunning in Doom, sort of, extremely convenient and useful for getting around.

The first time I ended up in that pit, I didn't manage to walljump up either, I did it with bombs. A pain in the ass, and blindingly retarded in retrospect, now that I'm comfortable with walljumping.

The trick for managing the walljump is simple: press the arrow in the off-the-wall direction *before* you hit the jump button. You'll have to time it by a tenth of a second, it's not really hard (at least not for reaching the first exit platform).

Scuba Steve said:

God I hate the walljump. So retarded.

Heh. I used to hate it, until I mastered it :P

This gives me an excuse to play SM again. :D

Walljumping in a 2-D platformr is a cool move that can have some creative applications, from a game desinger's point of view.

Walljumping in a 3-D platformer is insane, especially if the camera is bad.

IMJack said:

Walljumping in a 2-D platformr is a cool move that can have some creative applications, from a game desinger's point of view.

Walljumping in a 3-D platformer is insane, especially if the camera is bad.

/Shudders at a few Mario 64 moments..

Lost Soul said:

Fortunately it got a lot better in Mario Sunshine...

I love wall jumping in Super Metroid. I've gotten quite good at it. As for the section with the little green dancing dudes, just do what they do. It might take some practice (and more than a little time) but it's worth it. Oh, and you time it just right, you can get some more Power Bombs near the top...

Lost Soul said:

Heh...thats like the only thing I could never figure out how to do in that game. Otherwise, I pwned that games ass.

heh, I had another go at it last night. Didn't get it for a while, and my family thought there was some wired animal in the back yard when they kept hearing swish-swish-swish-swish-swish at 1:30 in the morn.

Quasar said:

Miyamoto had nothing to do with Metroid until Metroid Fusion and Prime. He had some small creative oversight input on those projects, because the original designer and producer of the Metroid series, Gunpei Yokoi, died a few years ago, shortly after leaving Nintendo to found his own game system technology firm. Apparently Nintendo was going to abandon the series after his departure, but Miyamoto made a big deal out of it at a press conference and there was a lot of display of support for the series. Thus we have the new games, and thank goodness cuz they're awesome.

As for the pit, you do not HAVE to learn the wall jump to get out. You CAN, and if you do, you'll get a chance to collect a power bomb, which you can launch yourself over to in ball form with some well placed bombs (much easier if you have the spring ball, but you don't get than until later). If you cannot make the wall jump, there's a small platform jutting out fairly low on the left hand side of the shaft. If you bomb around on that platform a bit, you'll find a secret passage in the wall, which will drop you out in the shaft you entered this area of Brinstar from.

No shit? I thought it was the other way around. I thought that Shigeru had involvement in all but the recently released Metroid games.

I apologize for my earlier statement. I feel stupid now.

Fredrik said:

Fortunately it got a lot better in Mario Sunshine...

Not in the carnival map under the ferris wheel it didn't.

Ct_red_pants said:

heh, I had another go at it last night. Didn't get it for a while, and my family thought there was some wired animal in the back yard when they kept hearing swish-swish-swish-swish-swish at 1:30 in the morn.

Heheh, keep at it and you'll get the hang of it. And that swish-swish-swish sound of Samus turning flips in the air does get a tad annoying after a while :)
Oh, and to actually do a walljump, just do somersault jump towards a wall. At the height of your jump, hit over+jump and you'll walljump off the wall.

Fredrik said:

The first time I ended up in that pit, I didn't manage to walljump up either, I did it with bombs. A pain in the ass, and blindingly retarded in retrospect, now that I'm comfortable with walljumping.

How long did it take you to get out?

That reminds me, there's another place where you've got to walljump to get anywhere in Maridia. It's pretty hard. Took me like 3 or so hours to do it the first time. I nearly threw my Super NES through the wall in frustration.

I finally got 100% items in Super Metroid a few months back :D Now I just need to work on Metroid Fusion...

(BTW, the missile pod in the long vertical platform shaft in Maridia is probably the hardest one to actually get, as you have to run through a neighboring hallway, open the door JUST in time to keep it from blowing your speedrun, and stop charged-up and do a charge jump on ONE square of space.)

Ubik said:

(BTW, the missile pod in the long vertical platform shaft in Maridia is probably the hardest one to actually get, as you have to run through a neighboring hallway, open the door JUST in time to keep it from blowing your speedrun, and stop charged-up and do a charge jump on ONE square of space.)

That's not nearly the hardest thing in Super Metroid, at least not if you count speedrunning and itemskipping tricks.

And if you thought that one was hard, just wait until you find out what you have to do to get some of the items in Metroid Fusion.

Ubik said:

pifft, that one is easy. it helps to open the door before you start running. they stay open unlike in metroid.

you want hard? try beating the game without the grapple beam.

Actually, that missile pod Ubik mentioned is easy to get if you just use the "runway" above the bottom right door that has a gate raised by a super missile. If you do the short speed trick you can get the missiles pretty easily. But I'd say that getting the super missiles in that area is pretty damn hard.

If I remember right, when you're glowing after charging up the speed, you should be able to walk around a bit and then jump before the glow disappears. The hard part isn't so much that you only have one square of space, but trying to find out which square to jump from and lining it up perfectly before the charge wears off.

Isle said:

pifft, that one is easy. it helps to open the door before you start running. they stay open unlike in metroid.

you want hard? try beating the game without the grapple beam.

I think I did that once. And yes, it's very hard. I know I've went through SM without the X-Ray scope before, but then the X-Ray scope isn't nearly as vital as the Grappling Beam.

Leaving out the grappling beam is not very hard. You don't even have to use the bomb jump (unless, of course, you go for leaving the hi-jump boots too) and it's actually possible to avoid most wall jumping, though that takes some serious platform-jumpage timing and ice beam creativity.

For a harder challenge, try beating the game with 25% items or less, beating it without battling Spore Spawn, beating it in under one hour or beating it in under 1:30 with 100% items. I haven't managed any of those (yet).

Another challenge is Metroid Fusion under two hours with 100% items. I did it in 1:43 with an emulator, and I know there are some wickedly difficult passages that you have to pass when getting the last few items. Not to mention the headache you get from trying to figure out which route to take through the game.

Harder yet? Try going for the secret navigation room event in Fusion. Seriously, I can't even do that if I get to play in slow-motion.