Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sigvatr

Things about Doom you just found out

That people don't like it. Or rather, that some Doom fans don't like parts of the original Doom and Doom II. Heresy, I say! Where are these Heretics and Hexens?

I recently realized that hell knights have a chance to die with two direct rockets: As per the “less painful” Doomwiki, each rocket hit is 148-288 damage and hell knights have 500hp.

I don’t know how I never noticed this before, I’ve shot plenty of rockets at hell knights over plenty of years. It’s one of the first things I noticed when getting into Doom 64 - killing knights with two rockets - so I really don’t get me sometimes.

14 hours ago, BGrieber said:

I recently realized that hell knights have a chance to die with two direct rockets: As per the “less painful” Doomwiki, each rocket hit is 148-288 damage and hell knights have 500hp.

I don’t know how I never noticed this before, I’ve shot plenty of rockets at hell knights over plenty of years. It’s one of the first things I noticed when getting into Doom 64 - killing knights with two rockets - so I really don’t get me sometimes.

Yeah, I actually two-shotted a Hell Knight with a Rocket Launcher a while back and it was the first time I had seen it happen, I believe you need two near-max damage rolls at a minimum for it to happen without factoring in splash damage (an individual rocket before splash damage has a damage range of 20-160 in multiples of 20), so it's fairly uncommon to see a Hell Knight two-shotted with a Rocket Launcher.

If I remember it's pretty rare to get maximum splash damage of 128 (correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't a rocket have to hit the dead-center of the target to get maximum splash damage, or is that only an issue with the Arch-vile flame?), so I'm rounding down to 120 to make adding up damage easier:

-If one of your rockets deals the maximum of 160, assuming 120 splash damage, the second rocket can deal as low as 100 with 120 splash damage to two-shot a Hell Knight.

-If your strongest of the two rockets is 140, the second rocket can be as low as 120 (again, assuming both rockets deal at least 120 splash damage)

I recently realized that in the main menu of Doom, Doom II, Plutonia and TNT, out of the 4 buttons that have the word "game" on them (New game, load game, save game and quit game), only 2 of them have a capital G. I haven't been able to unsee this

I always thought until recently that map20's music was titled "Message from the Archvile". I don't know, the fact that the monster would have something to tell you sounded cool to me. What would have been this message though.

16 minutes ago, Pierrot said:

What would have been this message though.

"Hhhahhhahhha"

3 hours ago, Pierrot said:

I always thought until recently that map20's music was titled "Message from the Archvile". I don't know, the fact that the monster would have something to tell you sounded cool to me. What would have been this message though.

This crosses my mind a lot too, I like to think that maybe he's holding a marine hostage and he's threatening to nuke the marine if you keep on killing his fellow monsters.

3 hours ago, AdNauseam said:

What do you mean with "180"?

there's an input where your view rotates 180° degrees

3 hours ago, Drywtler said:

there's an input where your view rotates 180° degrees

Ooh, now that you say it, I have stumbled upon this option but never tried it out! 

that some people actually like the OG Doom enemy roster over 2's. no, i don't know why either.

I learned some more new (old) Doom 3DO FMV news! Contrary to what's been previously reported, it was confirmed by Rebecca Heineman that the 3DO FMVs were actually filmed and apparently at the point where they were ready to be put in the game. This was mentioned in the following interview (timestamped at 54:24):

Notable tidbits:

• Footage was filmed entirely against green screen, no sets.
  • Cast (excluding the demon?) included three people, one woman and two men in Marine costumes, and they had a Doomguy helmet too.
  • The only named person at the shoot is a guy named Tristan Anderson, identified as a producer and credited as Project Manager for the 3DO port. It's suggested he knows more.
  • An unnamed "Hollywood director" was hired for the filming. Not much to speculate on, but the Chess Wars FMVs mentioned in the above interview that were also helmed by Art Data Interactive have a credited director of Paul W. Cooper (and these credits also include Tristan).
  • The FMVs were supposedly not included in the final game in part due to ADI not paying the director and thus never providing the footage, although this conflicts with eyewitness reports (see below).

It's also confirmed that the famed horned demon costume is, indeed, specifically a Baron of Hell, although this was already noted on the old ADI website.

Note the revelation that the 3DO FMVs exist isn't strictly new news since, as brought up some time ago on this very forum, there was a Usenet post from early 1995 by someone who said he witnessed said FMVs on display at the Art Data Interactive booth at (presumably) that year's CES. However, the above interview with Heineman seems to rescind this previous declaration.

Ultimately, it looks like we've got ourselves a case of lost media for Doom on our hands. But if I have anything to say about it, the only thing that should be lost in the Doomiverse is a Lost Soul!

On 7/30/2022 at 10:53 AM, map11has2names said:

that some people actually like the OG Doom enemy roster over 2's. no, i don't know why either.

Limiting monster pool = people have to be more creative to use them, and at the same time, the artistic side takes the front seat, instead of combat. Some people like the art of the world, instead of the combat.

I found out today that chainsaw + infighting is a very potent combination.

Sawing cacos is reliable and ammo efficient. But aproaching cacos for melee is risky.

However, if the tomato monster is distracted - he is a free kill with the saw.

This even extends to revenants. Sawing revenants is very unreliable. Angry skeleton is very likely to fit a punch or two between painchance procs.

But if the rev is distracted - he is almost as good as dead. Saw stunlock on a rev is not complete, but iy is good enoung to keep the rev in place. And, being distracted, he won't retaliate against the player.

Note that for best result with that strategy, you should target enemies that have just become aggravated at another monster. Because there's a targeting cooldown so you can hope to kill them while they still focus on their fellow demon. Whereas if you attack and enemy that has been infighting for a while, the cooldown will have expired so it will go back to targeting you.

I just realised how E1 in DOOM is even more brilliant than it already was. Simply put, I only now realised how many new conceptS it introduce as you progress throughout the levels. That's only taking account of if you're just taking the most straightforward route without any of the secrets. If we include the secret areas there's dozens more concepts. It's a very "duh" moment but I honestly never paid much attention to it until this moment. I'm still considering it in-line with the topic in question.

E1M1: I mean it's M1, so everything is a new concept but the important ones are, damaging sectors and action triggered by walking across a specific place as is the case with the platform with the imps.

E1M2: A single keycard, the introduction of elevators and switch that can open doors in the walls.

E1M3: Pinky demons, inescapable pit but also an escapable one with the floor permanently raising to avoid the same mistake. Your first ambush, lighting change and  I guess,i'll cheat here, with the bolded part of my post, but one of two new keycards, one being entirely optional. Secret exit!

E1M4: Now it's TWO keycards required to exit the map. Chaingun and the Blue armor for a whooping 200% armor! That one can be argued but an open ended way of tackling the map thanks to 3 separate paths.

E1M5: Spectres! More than one ambush at once and obnoxious lighting effect at the end of the map (light goggle too but thats a secret)

E1M6: Three keycards, more dangerous ambushes and some non-linearity beyond the red door. (even more if we include secrets) A higher density of monsters, the most up till now, while it's not a "new" concept I could see a player being on their guard more if there can be this many monsters at once.

I think after this from E1M7 and onward there isn't as many new concepts per say. E1M9 introduce enemies that can teleport in, E2/E3 has new monsters, berserk and new guns too and E1M8 has the computer map, the barons, the rocket launcher and of course the tag that lowers everything around you once the barons are dead. Naturally, the chance of players not going off to the side paths or not-finding secrets is non-existent but I figured i'd stick to just "Point A to B" and I probably missed stuff.

To reiterate it's a huge "duh, that's normal" moment but it makes me appreciate E1 that much more.

Edited by Shanoa

Doom II Map 11:

There is a walkover line on the bridge that is raised to access the Red Key in the center of the O. Walking over this line opens up a teleporter in the southwest slime (just to the left of the Blue Door) that you can use to teleport up to that high platform within the O that has the Energy Cell Packs. You can use this teleporter instead of the one in the secret area in the northeast slime area that has the Boxes of Rockets. There's also a Radiation Suit next to this teleporter that I did not know about.

image.png.dff28da543b28187d2a26ca36471fe8f.png

EDIT: While on the subject of Doom II Map11, I also just discovered an Energy Cell Pack tucked away in a corner in the southeast part of the slime (if you're facing the entrance to the area where the Blue Key/Arch-vile are, jump into the slime to you right and you'll find it there). Since it's pretty hard to fall into the slime in this level (and you don't have too many reasons to be down there), I'd imagine this Energy Cell Pack is incredibly easy to miss.

Screenshot_Doom_20220806_050302.png.24cc9411320c5f430abb29e9d44d62ed.png

Edited by peach freak

On 5/17/2022 at 9:08 AM, Rampy470 said:

I was yesterday years old when I found out that it's "degreelessness" mode and not "degresslessness".

Don't ask me what a degresslessness is I have no fucking clue.

The cheat name and the text is a reference to a fake fraternity that Dave Taylor (the guy who coded in all the cheat codes) came up with during his college years. It was called Delta-Q-Delta. The "Q" stands for Quit, as in the grade, as that was the grade that the members should strive to achieve. Degreelessness in this case refers to not having a college degree.

17 hours ago, RileyXY1 said:

The cheat name and the text is a reference to a fake fraternity that Dave Taylor (the guy who coded in all the cheat codes) came up with during his college years. It was called Delta-Q-Delta. The "Q" stands for Quit, as in the grade, as that was the grade that the members should strive to achieve. Degreelessness in this case refers to not having a college degree.

yes i am aware of that i said that i misread degreelessness as *degresslessness* and to not ask me what i thought *degresslessness* meant because i have no clue.

Memento Mori's BRICK texture lump was recycled and used as a base for the following Plutonia textures, these are MOSSBRIK, BRICK, BRICK1 & BRICK2. Also in Plutonia, Memento Mori's WOOD texture lump was reused as MYWOOD, and the following Doom 1 textures were reused, these are HELL6_1, HELL8_3, W109_1, 109_2 & W110_1, while the RAILING texture lump is an extra texture similar to RW43_1 & RW45_1, and the WOOD texture lump is simply an extra Wood texture similar to RW9_1, RW9_2,  RW9_3 &  RW9_4.

So yeah, two textures from a project made by The Innocent Crew were used as a base for textures in Plutonia.

On 7/28/2022 at 12:32 PM, Drywtler said:

BRNSMALL has one missing black pixel

Literally unplayable.

Nuts 1
The sector where player starts is actually a lift that can be lowered by just using it

Today I learned about the soulsphere hidden behind a fake wall in Doom II MAP11, from watching decino's video on Doom 2: The Way We Remember It.

It's funny how in almost every doom stream I seem to find out something new about the game.  I recently learned the super shotgun alone doesn't light up the 3 on the status bar, because gzdoom makes it light up and I was using that port until recently.  Also I seriously thought the cyberdemon nostrils were its eyes until recently.

12 hours ago, Sonikkumania said:

Not recently, but some time ago I found out that IDKFA stands for "Id's keys, firearms, ammo". Is this legit?

Depends on who you ask:

When I first played Doom I always assumed that the word "degreelessness" meant being unmeasurable - it's a god mode, the player is now "degreeless" because they can't be harmed and they have unlimited health and power! Therefore I never questioned it, and I still can't quite accept that this meaning of the word doesn't really exist.