Find results in...
NaZa

The DWIronman League dies to: Vigor!

Category 1

Dead on: Map 01

Kills: 36/51

Time: 4:05

dwi_pegleg_vigor_cat1.zip

The first half of the first map is manageable moving through carefully. In fact, there's a couple ambushes, but they're actually reasonable, with enough health and ammo to make it through. The second half of the map seems to have more teeth, particularly with the revenants. But then, revenants are generally my downfall in maps. Alas, this time that was not the case. This time, I was standing to close to a barrel. As it turns out, barrels are useful for both draining enemies health as well as your own.

That being said, if the rest of the mapset is like the opening map, it may be worthwhile looking into at a lower difficulty level. And given that I still have half a month, I may be able to go back and tackle a prepared run.

Category 1.

Died on MAP06 with 38/67 kills, after the ordeal of MAP05 I guess I just got tired, sloppy and stupid.

This WAD is... really stressful in a blind survival run, there are a lot of spicy ambushes and resources aren't exactly abundant, even in continuous play.

Unfortunately I won't have time to do a prepared run due to summer vacation, but I'll probably continue playing later, it looks fun with saves.

Spoiler

The only thing I knew about this mapset going in is that it has small, ambush-happy maps and that a lot of people died on MAP05. Overall, my instincts of bravely running away after doing just about anything served me pretty well.

MAP05 in particular is quite grueling, I can see why a lot of people died there. Cheated death on numerous occasions in that map, in particular I thought the cyberdemon was going to end my run for sure. Also, maybe I was doing it wrong, but I was heavily ammo starved for long stretches on that map, and while the maps leading up to it aren't as nasty, they're lacking in armor/soulspheres so you don't exactly arrive stacked.

Means of death in MAP06? Tried to get too cute with a pack of boney bois, planned to escape up an elevator to avoid being cornered but one of them jammed the elevator and I got ponched to death. Kind of hilarious to die like that after beating MAP05.

Video uploading here. I spend a loooong time on MAP05 trying to figure out where to go and how to not die.

Edited by ginc

cat 1, map10, 277/283
vigor.zip

On 7/1/2022 at 8:28 AM, Egg Boy said:

can't wait to watch people die on map10.

ah, i see
curse you, erik

I've been practicing the wad for a prepared run, but I've noticed something odd in map 5:

Spoiler

When I move to the location in the screenshot, the hell knight in the next room (red circle) can somehow see me and wakes up, and sometimes the one next to him as well. It's a big problem because the door to that room closes behind you, and if they block you off you're screwed.

This is in dsdadoom, with complevel 2. Anyone know why this is happening? Is it a bug in the map or a problem with my configuration? I guess I could avoid it by staying on the left side of the room, but there are valuable rocket pickups on the right.

DaRJbpL.png

2 hours ago, SCF said:

I've been practicing the wad for a prepared run, but I've noticed something odd in map 5:

Juza mentioned this in a Discord server recently, it's something that was caused during node building. Nothing wrong with your wad copy or settings, so don't worry about it.

Prepared run

Died on Map11 with 46 kills

DWIL_22-07_Vigor_Prep_SCF.zip

My goal was to beat the first 10 maps, so I'm satisfied. Everything went worse than in practice (as usual), but I ended up with a very reliable route so there was plenty of room for mistakes.

Not sure if I want to keep doing prepared runs, it's pretty stressful when you only get one shot at it. I ended up practicing until I did multiple successful runs, and even then I wasn't confident.

Props to all the mappers for making a set that was still fun to play after so many playthroughs.

Spoiler

I really don't like the plasma marines. Hated them in Scythe, still hate them here. After seeing more of them in map11, I decided to not even bother practicing the rest. The first 10 maps took me enough time anyway.

Almost choked at the end of map 10. Normally I lure the cyber away from the supercharge and then pick it up, but I had so much health left that I couldn't make up my mind whether to grab it or not, and a stray lost soul took advantge of the situation.

I don't think there's any way to get the BFG on map 10 other than by doing a linedef skip? Happened to me only once in practice, but it doesn't make that much of a difference anyway.

I found out you can skip the rest of map 8 after the red key by jumping straight through the window, but I gave up on that strategy because if you miss the jump you're now surrounded by three angry archviles. Normally I would kill the archviles and then go through the window, but the viles didn't cooperate so I had to waste a lot of rockets, and if you clear the path you can just grab the rocket pickups and leave.

Spoiler
5 hours ago, SCF said:
  Hide contents

I don't think there's any way to get the BFG on map 10 other than by doing a linedef skip? Happened to me only once in practice, but it doesn't make that much of a difference anyway.

I was working on finding a consistent SR50 setup, but it was too much of a pain. I'm fairly sure there is one, but I mostly gave up since Map10 is another death exit map anyway.

I also dislike the plasma marines mostly, I've never been a fan of the ones that are insanely fast and fire even faster.

^ reply to spoilered SCF post.

Small bump to remind that there's only about 4 more days to get your runs in! We're still missing some notable frontrunners, among others... but could even they can upset akolai's noteworthy return?

Cat 1, dead on map05 with 115/210 at 26:10, just like everyone else apparently. Probably a very rough looking demo, I didn't really play Doom this month and this is also the first time in a long while that I played without mouse accel so everything felt a bit weird.

dwim-bx-vigor.zip

Here's my effort, category 1 and dead on map10 with 191 kills. I've played very little doom all year so surprised to get even this far. Fatigue and stupidity killed me in the end, which was to be expected. Seems like a fun mapset though, one of the many I'm sure that I have missed in my inactivity.

DWIronman_Vigor_Veinen.zip

I played this WAD fully in like a single session back when it came out, so I guess that means prepared?. Granted, I remember shit. Only thing I remember is that it has some nasty traps, but didn't matter because I died on MAP01 lol

EndlessIronmanVigor.zip

Off-topic: Every time I try to record a demo with DSDA it has the worst mouse sens. It stutters a lot, especially when moving it slowly. Anyone has any idea what this might be? Perhaps some in game option? I pretty much have everything to default with vsync off. This only happens when recording demos.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/jgwce3yc2czdye2/dtvigor.lmp?dl=1

Now, I think I remember some of this set from a relatively recent TNS session, I definitely remembered map3 and some parts of map5, so it's a cat 2 for me.

Spoiler

With me having played the coop version, I was expecting a couple of cybers kicking about but was relieved to find there was none (up til my death on map5)

Died about half way through map5, I think to the same trap that a couple of others have been fried in

1 hour ago, Endless said:

Off-topic: Every time I try to record a demo with DSDA it has the worst mouse sens. It stutters a lot, especially when moving it slowly. Anyone has any idea what this might be? Perhaps some in game option? I pretty much have everything to default with vsync off. This only happens when recording demos.

This is almost certainly due to demos defaulting to recording with -shorttics, which restricts the possible viewing angles to 256 total. You can launch with -longtics to retain the movement you're probably used to. If this somehow isn't shorttics movement, then you can try the mouse stutter fix option, it's on one of the first couple of pages of General Settings in v0.24.3.

2 hours ago, Endless said:

Could it be that what you are experiencing is not stuttering but the so-called "short tics" phenomenon?

Which means that during demo recording your possible turn angles are reduced which is used to keep the demo file smaller, something that was very important in the early days when the demo format was developed. That of course means that the mouse turning feels kind of stuttery if you're used to a totally smooth mouse turning which is fine grained to a point where all kinds of angles are possible. I do not have any deeper knowledge on that, so maybe someoneelse who is more knowledgeable might expand on that.

Edit: Oh, Maribo answered while I was typing.

Small disclaimer - don't expect OP updates that soon, turns out bruising your index finger does not equal writing better... or faster, for that matter. Hopefully in 24 hours from now it'll be updated with the new runs... including the balls of steel in @Endless's submission. Takes a brave one to do what you did in your final 10 seconds. Seeing all that hope of a safe spot disappear with some transparent fuzz was saddening. :^)

EDIT: Leaderboard updated. Turns out it took a bit quicker than expected.

Edited by NaZa

Ironman_Vigor_hc.zip

Category 1, Dead in MAP04 with 24 kills.

Spoiler

I almost made it out of the red key battle with 1 HP remaining, but the turret Mancubus got me before I could get him.

I didn't expect to take a left turn and end up back in Spain again. That was an entertaining surprise.

The opening chapter of this WAD has lean, mean maps that make a lot of use out of a relatively small amount of space. They rode the razor's edge of being vicious but never hopeless - it always felt like I was just barely scraping through, and that nonstop pressure even across maps reminded me of Resurgence.

Thanks for coming back, y'all. Good luck this month, the challenge is organized by Pegleg! The thread is posted in the subforum.

In the meantime, as a thank you, here's a small something. It's just funsies. Organized from bottom to top in the leaderboard to simulate progression.

41 minutes ago, NaZa said:

In the meantime, as a thank you, here's a small something. It's just funsies. Organized from bottom to top in the leaderboard to simulate progression.

Cool stuff. Would be nice to see player names and map number/name (and maybe run category) for each entry of the collage.

Good idea - I toyed around with it, but decided against it because, frankly, I thought of this a bit too late so I had no time to try to make it look nice :P I just gotta get more acquainted with the tools, I guess. That's why the rips from streams/videos (Suite, Lazorical, ginc) have iffy resolution. At least I managed to learn how to make that damned cursor disappear. Next month though I'll attempt to get those sorted out. Maybe it'll even allow me to order them by progression and not strictly leaderboard. 

That death collage video is so fun, would love to see it become a regular part of each month's wrap-up.

That death montage is a brilliant idea.

When you're hosting one of these events, there's already a lot of work to do verifying demos, writing obituaries, and updating the rankings on the frontpage. I've no right to demand that additional time be spent on video editing, but whenever you feel like putting one of these highlight reels together, I think it'll make for a fantastic "closing ceremonies" at the end of the month.

(And, like Ravendesk said, if you make more of these I think it would be even better if there was an overlay displaying the player name & map number in the corner of the screen.)

That death montage is awesome, I love how the deaths on MAP05 make it look so oppressive, and then you have my careless death on MAP06 lol.

For the next one I'll see if I can upload a clipped video file of my death so that you don't have to run it through YouTube's compression twice.