Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
SteveRock

RELEASED - Bledmir Valley - My first map!

Sep 22 UPDATE: RELEASED!

After 3 months of work, I'm ready to release my very first WAD! DOWNLOAD HERE. I've decided on a final name of "Bledmir Valley", which seems sufficiently cool and edgy >:D Please play it and let me know what you think. All feedback is welcome. I didn't do difficulty levels, so it's all the same for all levels, and probably pretty easy relative to most WADs these days.

Essential info:

- DOWNLOAD HERE

- Single player

- IWAD: DOOM2

- MAP01 only

- Tested in GZDoom

- Limit removing

- YES freelook

- NO jumping or crouching - would break progression

- All difficulty levels are same - sorry :(

More screenshots:

1637556551_ScreenShot2022-09-22at7_38.51AMcopy.png.bc6178c5b3eed35044f31e090950e454.png

637414797_ScreenShot2022-09-22at7_35_00AM.png.413de21144a4beb4fcad89b2ef6a729d.png 1410234481_ScreenShot2022-09-22at7_37_44AM.png.2f79c636627097973940e0b7a2a5a7ed.png 

Aug 2 UPDATE:

Draft version ready to play test! Download here. Far from final, only half-decorated and VERY rough monster placement, but the layout and progression is all in. I'd love to see if anyone gets lost or confused about what to do, so if any kind (lost) souls could post a blind playthrough with commentary, that would be gold to me.

Essential info:

- Single player

- IWAD: DOOM2

- MAP01 only

- Tested in GZDoom

- Limit removing

- YES freelook

- NO jumping or crouching - would break progression

And some updated screenies for fun:

Screenshot_Doom_20220726_091735.png.ff7a037e6fcda880b25cca44ecad4065.png

Screenshot_Doom_20220730_154115.png.97899632748514e6f81e7ffe4d1b3ead.png

ORIGINAL POST

i've always loved DOOM and recently decided to get into mapping for fun. this map started out as an exercise in making a cool fort/castle, but right now i'm having tons of fun detailing out the natural features, like caves and canyon walls.

No link yet, just screenshots!

Screenshot_Doom_20220707_082820.png

Screenshot_Doom_20220707_082841.png

Screenshot_Doom_20220707_082911.png

Edited by SteveRock

Looks neat! I'd recommend breaking up the SP_ROCK with something else once in a while, as it can get very repetitive. If this is Doom 1 then your options are very limited, but you can get away with using stuff like GRAYVINE as "natural" textures. Also try using the white pebbles flat (it has a stupid M_FLR name), it is the closest you can get to matching with SP_ROCK.

Also your avatar is frustratingly cute and makes me want to start an 8-bit doom game...

These look good for a first map.  I'll have to check it out.

Looks alright chief.

I second @magicsofa's points, it could be worth breaking the rock textures up a bit, one thing I like to do is make pillars with a texture like ASHWALL embedded in the walls of my rock surfaces which can be used to separate different textured rocks.

Another trick I use is to lower light levels as you go up a level to distinguish layers and I also use a different texture behind the front facing rocks to make forward formations stand out more.

Spoiler

Not the best example but it shows a rough idea of what I mean

Screenshot_Doom_20180717_183815.png.dc01283b5337ac0420bdd301854e89af.png

22 hours ago, magicsofa said:

Looks neat! I'd recommend breaking up the SP_ROCK with something else once in a while, as it can get very repetitive. If this is Doom 1 then your options are very limited, but you can get away with using stuff like GRAYVINE as "natural" textures. Also try using the white pebbles flat (it has a stupid M_FLR name), it is the closest you can get to matching with SP_ROCK.

Also your avatar is frustratingly cute and makes me want to start an 8-bit doom game...

20 hours ago, mrthejoshmon said:

Looks alright chief.

I second @magicsofa's points, it could be worth breaking the rock textures up a bit, one thing I like to do is make pillars with a texture like ASHWALL embedded in the walls of my rock surfaces which can be used to separate different textured rocks.

Another trick I use is to lower light levels as you go up a level to distinguish layers and I also use a different texture behind the front facing rocks to make forward formations stand out more.

Reveal hidden contents

Not the best example but it shows a rough idea of what I mean

Screenshot_Doom_20180717_183815.png.dc01283b5337ac0420bdd301854e89af.png

thank you both for the kind words! yeah, the past week i have been obsessing over this breakup-rock issue. one method that definitely works well, similar to @mrthejoshmon's light levels, is to use overhangs. then you can lower the light level on the sector below (because the overhang is blocking the sunlight) and that breaks it up vertically. so i'll be adding even more of those everywhere - it looks cool in the sky, and the additional overhead detail doesn't clutter the gameplay space. for the bottom half of the screen, terracing is great, but only if the player is high enough to see it. it would be great to have rock textures with a trim, like a layer of snow or sand, so cliff ledges stand out, but at least for now i'll avoid custom textures (not in my skillset anyway).

i had less success using other textures for different vertical/depth layers, even allowing myself DOOM2. it just never looked great to me. but i'll give it another shot. embedding pillars is a neat idea i haven't tried yet. could work well with ASHWALL and GRAYVINE...also, the waterfalls in that screenshot are a great idea! gonna borrow it :D

i tried the white pebbles for floors, but it's a bit too bright for me. and i think having the floor not match SPROCK too well is actually a benefit, cuz it adds more contrast and helps break things up. thanks for the suggestion tho!

@magicsofa thanks re: the avatar! made it myself a while ago..i guess i love constrained art forms :) i have a cacodemon, doom guy, and imp as well.

I really like the layout and the idea. My problem is that it feels empty. The monsters were few and very sparse.
Here's my playthrough

This is a good layout that can definitely be filled with another 50-100 monsters, depending on how intense you want the combat to be.

wow thanks everyone for the vids! it's always great to see how ppl play the map. i was pleasantly surprised seeing everyone being very cautious about the small tunnel part haha.

- the monsters/items aren't done, so that's coming up

- maybe make it more obvious that going west of the fort isn't the way to go? altho leaving it there doesn't hurt...you still end up in the north-east of the fort, where you need to be. maybe having two paths is cool, and i can put items on the other path for harder difficulties.

- i should add secret triggers

thanks again - the DOOM community is clearly welcoming and thriving.

This doesn't seem to work on DSDA Doom for some reason.

Otherwise, quite good for a linear map. The shrine with the yk was pretty cool, even if the key itself felt stupidly arbitrary.

@LadyMistDragon  @StodgyAyatollah

thanks for the great feedback! i've decided to do another pass on textures. i wanted to stick to IWAD textures mostly, but having done that exercise already, i realized SP_ROCK1 just kinda sucks for what i'm doing. time to use good ol' CC4 rock textures. a preview:

1200336794_ScreenShot2022-09-25at12_08_08PM.png.764f7a37f0142fc75955201549d8d052.png