Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
mouldy

Overboard - 6 map island hopping adventure (now on idgames!)

Absolutely adore the submarine map, particularly the sandwich fight with the arachnotrons and the hell knight/baron horde, with the rocket conveyor.

Welcome back, and thanks for sharing these. I hope you make more. :)

22 minutes ago, big smoke said:

just played the whole mod and i really enjoyed it, the combat was fun and fast paced, always making the player to think and move fast 
and i really loved the little details and doomcutes that were everywhere, also the idea of you having to find a fuel can for your boat to go to the next level was really sweet
the tranisition to the new game plus in the "end" was also surprising and really good, playing the same levels but with more challenge was more fun that i expected
the actual end part was also great too, the city looks so good for a boom format map (infact this whole mod being in the boom format is very impressive)

overall i quite enjoyed this mod, im looking forward to see what you make in the future
(also from seeing the comments looks like you came back to doom modding after a long break so, welcome back!)

If you don't know his work you should check out his 2014 megawad Going Down.

You might also know him under a different name.

Born too late to explore Earth, born too early explore the stars, born just in time to watch an imp surf. Thank you

Hey welcome back mouldy!  Glad to see you're still interested in mapping.  I'll be sure to check this out :)

Ooh, I'm just playing GD for the first time at the moment and I'm enjoying it immensely, it's shaping up to be one of my favourite ever mapsets. I love how clearly the maps are shaped around particular ideas and do so much with often quite conservative enemy counts (and absolute bastard devious geometry changes to really bring things to a boil). This'll be next on my playlist. Welcome back!

Hey Cyriak, I've just finished Overboard and I'm looking forward to seeing what surprises you prepared for us in new game+.

That was an incredible, atypical, refreshing Doom experience to play at summer time. I expected no less from the creator of Going Down. It has similar feelings as Going Down: crazy atmosphere, genius design, compact maps plentyful of action. Only regret, it's a bit short, I would have loved to play longer :) Though I can only imagine how much time you spent on creating this.

Thanks and congrats Cyriak!

Whoa, new Mouldy maps? This was a nice thing to wake up to! Gonna try to carve out a little bit of time in the next few days to play this. Really interested in how there's a new game plus to this.

Welcome back!

First of all, welcome back!

Now, after I saw that the master of chaotic-evil was back with new maps, I had to play this wad. Needless to say, this is an excellent release that deserves to be played by absolutely anyone who enjoyed Going Down. Like some others said, it feels just like that megawad and that's an excellent thing given how good it is. Overboard is some excellent work! 

small map 6 spoiler: 

Spoiler

btw, the toilet teleporter is the best thing I have ever seen.

Don't sleep on the NG+ maps either folks, they're exceptionally chaotic and lots of fun—provided you're okay with a cyber shooting you point blank :P

(The early revs in MAP02 NG+ work a lot better, stops the player from chipping through the map at a leisurely pace. Also this is the most minor shit ever, but Sector 345 in MAP04 NG+ is missing damaging floor Effect 7)

Spoiler

cute epilogue+ map! The use of door textures on the construction crane is great

thanks for the nice words folks.

14 minutes ago, unraveler said:

I'm getting this when reacing map 5

image_2022-08-04_232124424.png

I've been testing in dsda doom and never seen that message. No idea what it even means.

20 minutes ago, dobu gabu maru said:

Sector 345 in MAP04 NG+ is missing damaging floor Effect 7)

Man, that sector has been no end of trouble, cheers mate

Just finished all 6 maps on HMP.  Fun!

Didn't play the "new game" that begins afterward.  Maybe later.

One issue:

Spoiler

Not sure if I'll explain this well, but on map06 there's a platform/turret thing that has a secret w/ a teleporter on top.  There's 3 wooden crates on the beach in front of this turret.  If you jump from a higher level across the crates but not onto the secret turret, you get stuck on the beach between the crates and the turret with no way out (that I could find).  Had to IDCLIP out of that one.  Hope this makes sense.

13 minutes ago, CrueCut said:

Just finished all 6 maps on HMP.  Fun!

Didn't play the "new game" that begins afterward.  Maybe later.

One issue:

Hide contents

Not sure if I'll explain this well, but on map06 there's a platform/turret thing that has a secret w/ a teleporter on top.  There's 3 wooden crates on the beach in front of this turret.  If you jump from a higher level across the crates but not onto the secret turret, you get stuck on the beach between the crates and the turret with no way out (that I could find).  Had to IDCLIP out of that one.  Hope this makes sense.

Thanks for the bug report, looks like someone else got stuck there as well.

Glad you enjoyed HMP. New game plus is a bonus hard mode, so its basically playing the same maps again but harder than UV, so not sure if you will enjoy that so much. I meant to make those maps inaccessible on lower difficulty settings, not sure how people would feel about that though.

2 hours ago, mouldy said:

thanks for the nice words folks.

I've been testing in dsda doom and never seen that message. No idea what it even means.

Man, that sector has been no end of trouble, cheers mate

I am playing in DSDA Doom and got that error message when starting map05. I must admit that I have never seen that error message either. To add to this there is a visual issue in map02 with the skeleton boat, strangely the New game version looks fine.

P2xSCi6.png

You really haven't lost your touch, these maps are a tonne of fun. Full of chaos and whimsy in equal measure. 

Just finished, great stuff, particularly liked Map01 and Map03, maybe I just have a thing for sea vessels.

Just finished this set. Haven't played NG+ and I honestly have no intention of doing so but you still have the touch! I loved how you utilized boom's features to make some really cool and funny scenarios. Maps 2, 3 and 6 are my favorites in the set. 

48 minutes ago, cannonball said:

I am playing in DSDA Doom and got that error message when starting map05. I must admit that I have never seen that error message either. To add to this there is a visual issue in map02 with the skeleton boat, strangely the New game version looks fine.

P2xSCi6.png

You really haven't lost your touch, these maps are a tonne of fun. Full of chaos and whimsy in equal measure. 

Is the beach here supposed to have STARTAN1 around the edges? I noticed it when I got killed by a revenant in the water.

Hey @mouldy! I played through these maps and I absolutely loved them. I was just thinking what a shame that it was over when I got to map08. NG+ is a great idea and I can't believe this was not a thing before. I guarantee a lot of players will appreciate the extra hard versions of the levels.

Anyway I haven't experienced any bugs myself so I just want to say that these levels are great, really funny and kick ass. Thanks!

Lovely stuff! Your style for comedic storytelling, ultra cute sectors, and imp usage, is of the most exquisite. I laughed and giggled quite more often than I ever do playing this game and that's a rarity for me, so many joyful events, wholesome details, obviously great punchy action, so really thank you for all of that. 

One minor thing: for convenience, in map 05 I'd widen the single secret sector around the teleport, since it's kinda easy to miss on the fly like I did the first time. 

Might check the NG+ part another time, although I did skip to the "real end", which brought back memories along with a cold feel in my back, but it was momentary (:

mouldy's back?!?! o_O
Oh, hell yeah - what an unexpected but welcome surprise!

The Eye and Going Down are certified Doom classics, so I'm very much looking forward to giving this a go after work! :)

- - - - - -

EDIT: Right - so blasted thru the whole set on HMP and had a ton of fun! Gave me some major Duke: Caribbean vibes. The whole set is awesome but I liked Map01 and Map03 the best - something about boat / sub maps just hits right, hahaha! The map name puns are fantastic!

Absolutely loved the trademark mouldy Chaotic Evil style gameplay, tasteful Boom-feature usage, and of course, ample use of Doomcute - the sinking ship / man overboard at the start of Map02 gave me a good chuckle, haha! Also loved the way you can look thru the submerged control room windows and the rocket conveyor belt on Map03, as well as the inverted ground sky in the demonic sigil realm on Map06. Shoutouts to the surfing imp as well! \m/

Spoiler

The callback to Going Down in the "true" ending map was absolutely incredible - who woulda thought that Doom PWADs could invoke such a fond sense of nostalgia, hahaha!

Thanks so much for this out-of-the-blue mapset and all of the fun!
Fingers crossed this means we can expect more minisodes / maps from you again in the future. :) 

Gonna have to go thru again on UV sometime and give the NG+ remixes a go too!

Edited by Fabricator : Added some thoughts after playing :)

4 hours ago, cannonball said:

To add to this there is a visual issue in map02 with the skeleton boat, strangely the New game version looks fine.

I saw that when using dsda-doom's OpenGL renderer but not when using the software renderer.

I've played the first five maps so far and am loving it. It's everything I expected from the creator of my favorite megawad, and then some.

Mother of God, welcome back Cyriak/Mouldy! This is an incredible surprise and I'm excited to check this out. :^)

Edited by Biodegradable

Your comeback is the best event of whole year!

Btw, I have the same problem as unraveler - dsda-doom crashes at map 05.

Spoiler

also at maps 12-14

p.s. this is the first wad, where I smile like a madman while playing

9 hours ago, cannonball said:

P2xSCi6.png

This appears to be a problem with open gl. If you change to video mode to software it works.

A quick google search tells me that people were seeing the same error message in prboom + for one of sunders maps. It looks like it was a problem with the software that has since been fixed, so could be that dsda doom needs some kind of update.. Meanwhile I'll see if I can narrow down whats causing it.

Edited by mouldy

17 minutes ago, mouldy said:

This appears to be a problem with open gl. If you change to video mode to software it works. I'll have to see if I can figure out whats going on, but if anyone can explain what that error message means that would be helpful.

I suspected that would be the case, I just found it odd that this glitch happens in map02, but works fine in map10 (The NG+ version). I suspect a little trial and error on the sector blocking access to the boat would fix this. Those type of sectors have a habit of misbehaving and can break in certain ports if you are working with sectors that share a linedef with the sector in question.