Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
lunchlunch

DBP50: Emerald City [idgames]

"Follow the yellow brick road"

Oh, i thought it was going to be wizard of oz themed. No wicked viles from the west to melt with plasma then :(

It still looks great, pretty neat reclaimed by nature aesthethics and dig the skybox with the green tinted concrete decaying buildings in the background.

This month's theme has my interest! Only played through two maps so far, but I can say that aside from the visuals, I really like the use of ambient sounds.

Congratulations to LunchLunch and the other contributors, and thank you to the testers and consultants. It's been an honor to be a small part of this project with so many other talented people.

The atmosphere is amazing, and the first map was very, very impressive, even if it messed with my brain.

Both relieved and a bit sad that later maps scale down on vanilla effects, but what a show opener.

This is my favourite DBP and I can't believe that I played

Spoiler

a map by @lunchlunch that is easy ? I don't play with level stats and I kept expecting slaughter to happen, but I think the map doesn't even have archviles? (map03).

This isn't a criticism in any way, it's a compliment.

Seeing that name popup when I entered the map caused me dread and I had to prepare myself, especially once the map started lagging a bit because of all of the details. Then I finished it and I couldn't believe my eyes.

10/10 plot twist.

Pretty awesome. I really like the greenish color-set. And the ambient sounds adding to the amazing atmosphere.

I have been looking forward to this one! :) 
Cheers and congrats on this month's project. 

Edit: 5 minutes in... tf.. how- I'm in love.

Edited by kwc

This project was a lot of fun to work on, thanks for putting it together!

i got even emotional by the end playing map 16, reminding me why i love video games

Finished it some further random observations.

Total playtime (minus reloads) was 3 hours.

Horselessheadsman in regards being reminded about Lost Civ is pretty on point with the Doom Cute in the living spaces. 

My favourite map was Life After People, it really nailed a overgrown city to the point of being unrecognisable and entirely reclaimed by nature. The little extra details on key slight lines really impressed me. 

Texture work across the board was just fantastic. 

The first map with the crates and the vines I thought might be been tutorialising some elements to watch out for in most of the maps, only came up a few times.

Really vibed the maps that erred on the shorter side, I think the "Emerald City" brief might have a few contributors leaning into Sandy's City territory. 

Bit of a theme with Imp club dancers eh? :D

Oh and credits were super cute. 

Edited by Jovian

On 8/1/2022 at 11:52 AM, lunchlunch said:

■MAP07: Green Day At The Dump - joe-ilya

I liked this map, joe is finally maturing as a mapper. Can't wait to see where his future contributions to the series!

1 hour ago, dew said:

I liked this map, joe is finally maturing as a mapper. Can't wait to see where his future contributions to the series!

Br0tal.

I've actually always liked Joe's maps, though. They aren't amazing on a technical level, and sometimes they lack polish, but they feel like they were made with a lot of passion and fun. So I'm not real happy about his "departure".

Seems like a spiritual sequel to the great AUGER;ZENITH! I played a few maps, very promising.

Six levels in, and great textures and atmosphere, but I found the gameplay a little bland: most of the fights are shotgunning imps and other low-tier enemies in corridors and cramped rooms. I was hoping for more urban exploration and easter eggs, but the first six maps felt small and linear. Map 3 looked awesome but had very little to explore, just a few a handful of enemies on crates and whatnot. Pity, cause the visuals and theme are interesting.

Maybe I've been spoiled by Ashes 2063 & Afterglow. I was expecting more. 

EDIT: Judging from what I've seen, the later maps might be more what I was hoping for.  Can't wait to find out!

Anyway, here's the first video:

Edited by Pistoolkip

A lot's already been said that I agree with, reminds me of a more compact Auger Zenith.  Love the theme and you've done it well here.  Very dense with tasty visuals and detail.  Personally I like how it eases you in with the first couple levels, then finally opens up into the more urban areas.  The third level has lots of buildings that mesh well with the skybox and make you feel like you're in a huge, decayed city.  Combat is a lot of low tiers so far but the environments make the incidental combat fun for me.  Great work and looking forward to the rest (already played thru more and the cities get amazing!).

Found this in map 01 playing in GZDoom. Looking at Sector 716 in Doom Builder, there's nothing there, but movement is blocked in both GZDoom and dsda-doom.

Screenshot_Doom_20220807_122648.png.dd86493410d513f7b25025c0f12680a4.png

Continuing to enjoy this a lot.  First two maps were great, but City of Fallen Angels was really a sight to behold and I tried to actually explore as much as I could, which took me about an hour.  I picked up enough keys to probably beat the level several times over lol, but exploring everything was its own reward.  An interesting concept in allowing players to choose a path and end the level if they please.  Hilarious and interesting secrets too, especially as they affected the city and gameplay.  Great job!

Just beaten first 5 maps. Awesome wad.

Managed to softlock the game by getting trapped in the megasphere room on MAP05 without bullets. Laugh at me.

By the way, is it Ok if I borrow some of the textures from this wad? Most of them seem to be modified from other sets and credits are to other DBPs so it's not entirely clear.

@ViolentBeetle Knock yourself out, the resources came from various DBPs, Jumpwad, and I think a couple from OTEX, which are all fair game, tex-wise.

Edited by lunchlunch