Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
DΞLTΛ

SLADE needs a recovery feature.

So I closed down slade and as it was closing down, my computer bricked (which isn't the first time my computer has done this), and when I open up slade again and select the mod I was working on, the latest version of that mod got corrupted and wouldn't open sending me back about 2 months of development... You can expect my reaction to this and now I'm stuck wondering: "why does slade not have a recovery feature?", which would've helped out a lot in my case... @sirjuddington PLEASE make this a feature in the next update. I have a feeling that having a recovery feature for slade would greatly help out anyone who had their computer brick or anything like would have their mod preserved just like nothing ever happened...

18 minutes ago, skillsaw said:

Are there any .bak files in your folder?

This. Slade already makes .bak files to restore the previous version of a wad. Simply remove the .bak extension from it to restore the older version.

Any more than that, and you might want to start investigating offsite backups for your system such as dropbox, one drive or google drive, which all keep file histories. And frankly you should also fix your computer given your blatant data loss issues. Priorities.

1 hour ago, DELTA256 said:

I have a feeling that having a recovery feature for slade would greatly help out

I agree, but...

Copy latest file. Paste elsewhere. Rename and append today's date. That's your backup feature!

I tried repairing the file with winrar, and when I opened it in slade, there was nothing in it...

I tried everything...

8 hours ago, Edward850 said:

Simply remove the .bak extension

even that didn't work, and I tried it just now.

I instead chose to go back to an older version of the mod, at the cost of when I try to test it in gzdoom (forgive me for going off topic), the mod takes an upwards of 2-3 minutes to load...

8 hours ago, Nevander said:

Copy latest file. Paste elsewhere. Rename and append today's date. That's your backup feature!

Also, tried it just now, that didn't work either...

Honestly, I don't think anything would work, going back to an older version and going from there seemed to work for me.

Sorry guys, I don't think this can be solved in the traditional sense, but at least we tried... :/

13 hours ago, Edward850 said:

And frankly you should also fix your computer given your blatant data loss issues. Priorities.

I second this notion. Because sooner or later, you're going to have problems down the road..

On 8/7/2022 at 1:24 AM, HavoX said:

I second this notion. Because sooner or later, you're going to have problems down the road..

Actually, I managed to find a work-around, I transferred the mod to another computer and worked on it from there, and it works like a marvel, making and updating backups along the way.

EDIT: Not the version in question... It was an older version.

Edited by DELTA256

On 8/6/2022 at 12:05 PM, DELTA256 said:

even that didn't work, and I tried it just now.

You don't just delete the extension but rename it back to .wad.

You mentioned WinRAR, so I'm assuming you worked directly on a PK3 in SLADE.

I'd recommend extracting everything to a folder, and loading that folder directly into SLADE and GZDoom (yes, you can do this!) to do whatever work is needed, before zipping it up into a PK3 to distribute to the great unwashed masses.

This method also allows you to use version control stuff like GitHub for backing up and saving your work from disaster, but that's a whole other set of lessons.

The thing is, when I fixed the pk3 (I even took dragonfly's suggestion) and opened it up in slade, there was nothing in it... Nothing... Empty... It was empty.

If the backup was corrupted, which is just a simple renaming of the existing file before it gets replaced with the new file you are saving, then no amount of local recovery could have ever have saved you. You are straight up having critical disk failures.

Edit: Also, you shouldn't be working with pk3s for an on going project, instead work with it as folders and then turn it into a pk3 in the end. Aside from anything else, compressed archives are just plain inefficient to work with as partial data, they can't compress data properly as you're constantly performing partial updates which causes significant dictionary fragmentation. It's also good practice in general as you can avoid the trap of accidentally opening the same archive with two different programs at once, which is guaranteed to destroy data.

Edited by Edward850

Check the smart of your hdd. Seems like the disk starts to fail. And, please, do it for sure. Ithink that people told you to do so in other thread.

On 8/5/2022 at 7:18 PM, DELTA256 said:

So I closed down slade and as it was closing down, my computer bricked (which isn't the first time my computer has done this), and when I open up slade again and select the mod I was working on, the latest version of that mod got corrupted and wouldn't open sending me back about 2 months of development... You can expect my reaction to this and now I'm stuck wondering: "why does slade not have a recovery feature?", which would've helped out a lot in my case... @sirjuddington PLEASE make this a feature in the next update. I have a feeling that having a recovery feature for slade would greatly help out anyone who had their computer brick or anything like would have their mod preserved just like nothing ever happened...

I've started using GitHub and GitHub Desktop. You've got to get in the habit of committing updates pretty regularly, but you have the peace of mind knowing that your project is always there, and you can always revert changes if needed. Takes a few minutes to set up and a few days to build the habit of keeping it updated, but then it becomes pretty routine. 

22 minutes ago, BuffyTheDoomSlayer said:

I've started using GitHub and GitHub Desktop. You've got to get in the habit of committing updates pretty regularly, but you have the peace of mind knowing that your project is always there, and you can always revert changes if needed. Takes a few minutes to set up and a few days to build the habit of keeping it updated, but then it becomes pretty routine. 

Absolutely can second this. I use this a lot for some professional projects I do, and being able to just push updates and pull if need be is a very nice way to solve the issue.

On 8/21/2022 at 3:23 AM, BuffyTheDoomSlayer said:

Hmm... I'll keep this in mind for the long run, could come in handy... Thanks for the advice :)