Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
myolden

Nostalgia - now on idgames! [32 Maps] [Doom 2 format]

You had me at “simpler geometry” and had me again at “Dragonaut”

I love maps that focus on architectural form and layout in favor of high detail and judging by the screenies you’ve pulled it off splendidly.

And a whole 32 maps! That is no small feat and you should be right proud of yourself for pulling it off. I can’t wait to actually start playing this.

I REALLY enjoyed getting to help test this set. I look forward to see it getting lots of plays! Congrats on the release!

Looks like a fun time, love the aesthetic, though, I will say, its reminding me more of CC2 than anything from the 90s. Thank you for posting.

I haven't been too eager to do a megaWAD lately, but the description of this sounds really interesting! The difficulty sounds nice and appealing. Will check this out later tonight! Congrats on the release!

Four maps in and I am really enjoying it so far! It reminds me a lot of Jimmy's still-unfinished Earthless mapset.

Speaking of Jimmy, I am a bit disappointed that "Sleeping Sergeant" is not an original track, but rather a remake of "The Healer Stalks".

This is great. I played the first map and realised it is a bit easier than your previous set, so I had a go at continuous play instead. Map it to map10, finding all secrets, before getting cornered by a revenant. I like the mix of old and new-school architecture combined with tighter, modern combat.

FDA: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1YxASEQXMBB9O6V5ded0L5-MzfiQYtnKw/view?usp=sharing

Really good stuff so far, not a surprise after Altars of Madness - despite being a completely different beast. Probably the highest amount of BFGs I've seen in a while!

Also, you can accidentally exit the secret building in map 15 by climbing on this desk and going through this window:

Spoiler

e7khzIU.png

And there's a typo in the intermission text before map 31:

Spoiler

"Egyption" instead of "Egyptian"

Took a break form Mouldy's new set to check this out because I'm honestly burnt out on on vacation/tropical maps (still enjoying it) which is funny since I never seem to get burnt out on more traditional aesthetics like this. Enjoyed it quite a bit so far. Very good use of space. Things are condensed to the point the action keeps going and maps don't overstay their welcome. A little lighter on difficulty so far but if things push close to Plutonia in that regard I'll be happy. Also maps named after Mr. Bungle songs is a win for me.

5 hours ago, myolden said:

Nostalgia is a 32 map megawad in Doom 2 format for limit removing sourceports. These maps take modern map design philosophy in my style and coat it with a layer of old-school paint, leaving behind the super detailed aesthetic in favor of simpler geometry. Each map is relatively short, with the difficulty falling somewhere between vanilla Doom 2 and Plutonia. This map set also follows the vanilla Doom 2 episode format, with each episode being seperated by a death exit. Aside from this, these maps can be completed either continuous or by pistol start.

This is cool, I'm sure you saw in some of my AoM Max txts that I'd love to see what you can do outside the lock-in fight -> lock-in fight repeating structure. Had a great time with E1 tonight. Here's some sleepy FDAs, they might help you judge how a half-awake person will try to navigate it :P
nostalgia_e1_fdas.zip

Player a few levels and this mapset is scratching my itch for mid-difficulty megawads with short, snappy levels– something I'm almost always on board with. I'm going to assume that Under the Surface is inspired by Underhalls from Doom 2. It feels like a remake for Doom veterans with monsters packed in every corner. It's surprisingly formidable compared to the levels before and after it.

Quite a solid mapset.  If not for the music choices, I would have fully believed this could have been released in the 90s or early 00s.  I do like the music choices as they are, though.  A vod is available but here's a few things I noticed:

Spoiler

map14 - on UV there were a group of imps stuck together towards the end of the map.
map31 text - a minor thing but I think egyption should be spelled egyptian
map21 text - another minor thing, in the second paragraph 'it's' should be 'its'
map21 - some of the monster closets meant for the red key area did not work so there were missed kills

36 minutes ago, Vile said:

Quite a solid mapset.  If not for the music choices, I would have fully believed this could have been released in the 90s or early 00s.  I do like the music choices as they are, though.  A vod is available but here's a few things I noticed:

Hide contents

map14 - on UV there were a group of imps stuck together towards the end of the map.
map31 text - a minor thing but I think egyption should be spelled egyptian
map21 text - another minor thing, in the second paragraph 'it's' should be 'its'
map21 - some of the monster closets meant for the red key area did not work so there were missed kills

Dang, sucks I missed the stream. I'll have to check out the vod. Glad you liked the set!

Map 13, there's a softlock behind one of the cisterns.

This is a fun little mapset! Very relaxing and enjoyable.

3 hours ago, Firedust said:

Map 13, there's a softlock behind one of the cisterns.

This is a fun little mapset! Very relaxing and enjoyable.

Is it the northern one, next to the crane and the secret plasma? If so, then: 

Spoiler

if you press the crate it lowers, which then raises back up and gets you access to the plasma gun.

Good job, I just gave it a go and it's a lot of fun and you can tell thought went into this. Hopefully it will become an official addon.

Random question but I saw you making a train level on YouTube, what project was that part of?

Edited by Anarkzie

1 hour ago, myolden said:

Is it the northern one, next to the crane and the secret plasma? If so, then: 

Hide contents

if you press the crate it lowers, which then raises back up and gets you access to the plasma gun.

It's the one to the east of the door. If that's the one you're talking about, then sorry, I am very dumb xD

47 minutes ago, Anarkzie said:

Good job, I just gave it a go and it's a lot of fun and you can tell thought went into this. Hopefully it will become an official addon.

Random question but I saw you making a train level on YouTube, what project was that part of?

That was going to be it's own thing, a wad in the style of Going Down but on a moving train. Unfortunately it fizzled out a bit. Turns out the geometry of the train limited the possible gameplay areas too much, and the maps were painfully linear with repetitive combat encounters. Who knows, perhaps I'll revisit it someday?

36 minutes ago, Firedust said:

It's the one to the east of the door. If that's the one you're talking about, then sorry, I am very dumb xD

No worries, just wanted to make sure I didn't miss something. Is this the spot you're referring to?

Spoiler

1893646550_possiblesoftlock.png.c8c33e5cc0b22697d761f14c373ca00f.png

4 minutes ago, myolden said:

No worries, just wanted to make sure I didn't miss something. Is this the spot you're referring to?

Hide contents

1893646550_possiblesoftlock.png.c8c33e5cc0b22697d761f14c373ca00f.png

Yep. I like how every map has its own identity. Sorta reminds me of Going Down in that regard - but obviously much easier :)

10 hours ago, myolden said:

That was going to be it's own thing, a wad in the style of Going Down but on a moving train. Unfortunately it fizzled out a bit. Turns out the geometry of the train limited the possible gameplay areas too much, and the maps were painfully linear with repetitive combat encounters. Who knows, perhaps I'll revisit it someday?

Yeah, it looked really good but I imagine that the shape of a train would really limit your options when mapping with the doom engine. Maybe you could releases it as a single level of another wad, at least that way it won't get repetitive.

I've played up to map08 and I like what I've seen so far.  While I'm okay with challenges in maps, I find how difficult mapsets can get these days to be rather annoying.

Played a little more and I'm up to Map 16. As episode I progressed, I liked how these techbases were infested with hellish landscapes. The city episode has been a lot of fun as well. Map 12 has been my favourite level so far with its detailed and snappy level design.

I think I might finish this megawad before long. It's infectious!

Just played through this and enjoyed it a lot. Lovely Scythe-like medium sized levels with good action, neat aesthetics and definite old school vibes. Not very tough overall but the third episode does start turning the heat a little bit with Rev, AV and Cyber density increasing noticeably. Also liked your style with secrets and how accessible they all were, quite easy to find most of them if you just pay a little bit of attention and use the automap for clues. Great work!

I recorded FDA demos for each map (attached), if such are of interest. Played on UV with glboom+ 2.5.1.3.

FDA_nostalgia_01-32.zip

Alright. I finished Nostalgia and this turned out how I expected: 30+ snappy levels that give the feeling of an epic campaign without taking 20 hours. I think I could revisit this megawad and maybe try it without mid-level saving for an extra special challenge.

A small error report: 

Spoiler

In Map 30, one of the two cyberdemons that spawn before the red skull key got telefragged. I don't know how but there was no other monster there but the other cybie.

48 minutes ago, DoubleCakes said:

Alright. I finished Nostalgia and this turned out how I expected: 30+ snappy levels that give the feeling of an epic campaign without taking 20 hours. I think I could revisit this megawad and maybe try it without mid-level saving for an extra special challenge.

A small error report: 

Hide contents

In Map 30, one of the two cyberdemons that spawn before the red skull key got telefragged. I don't know how but there was no other monster there but the other cybie.

Hmm, presumably telefragged by the other cyberdemon. This might be an uncommon issue (never came up during testing) but I think I may have a solution. Thanks for reporting!

Those screenshots looks fantastic and I was sold as soon as I read "simpler geometry". I played MAP01-MAP03 and the gameplay's tight. Your usage of METAL3 is interesting to say the least and I mean that in a good way. Visually, despite going for a less detailed approach, it still remain nicely detailed. I look forward to play it to completion. 

On a personal note, looking at the screenshots and having played a bit it makes me ponder how I approach mapping. Although anyone can create a Doom map I feel very intimidated when I see all the extremely detailed maps. I know the first rule is to not compare your work to others for a bevy of reasons but maybe I should consider making stuff in the vein of your map, @myolden . As long as it's fun to play, flow well I think people would be pleased. Anyway, sorry for the tangent.

Congratulations on the release and thank you for the maps and inspiration. I have some reflecting to-do.

Edited by Shanoa