Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
NaliSeed

Pickup messages like Doom 64 on GZDoom

So long story short, I would like to have the messages for picking up items displayed in the same way as Doom 64, as in this screenshot:

11218.jpg

You will need to replace the default Doom font in your WAD if you want it to use the same style of letters.

If you mean the placement of the message, i.e. not all the way in the upper left corner, there is probably some way to accomplish it with a HUD message.

If all you mean is the color of the message, like making it white instead of red, all you have to do is append \cc to each inventory message in the DECORATE/ZSCRIPT code. Example:

Inventory.PickupMessage "\ccYou got the Shotgun!"

will yield:

unknown.png

It's the placement of the message, actually. I'm currently playing Doom64 CE and tweaking some things to my own preference. The way the messages are aligned by ZDoom is unlike the original D64, or Nightdive's version for that matter. Would like to change that.

So in order to do this without ZScript or anything like that, it will take quite a bit of doing. I thought about doing it for Retribution but the required work outweighed the usefulness.

Basically you would need to remove all pickup messages from every item and weapon first of all, via DECORATE properties, so the engine won't display one. Then, write an ACS script which does SetHudSize and HudMessage. Use an id number so picking up a lot of items will replace the message instead of displaying a bunch. You can probably make it a function and pass the pickup message string as an arg somehow, to reduce code duplication. Then call this function or script by modifying every item's pickup state in DECORATE and adding the state to execute the script.

3 hours ago, Nevander said:

So in order to do this without ZScript or anything like that, it will take quite a bit of doing. I thought about doing it for Retribution but the required work outweighed the usefulness.

Basically you would need to remove all pickup messages from every item and weapon first of all, via DECORATE properties, so the engine won't display one. Then, write an ACS script which does SetHudSize and HudMessage. Use an id number so picking up a lot of items will replace the message instead of displaying a bunch. You can probably make it a function and pass the pickup message string as an arg somehow, to reduce code duplication. Then call this function or script by modifying every item's pickup state in DECORATE and adding the state to execute the script.

There's really no need to go to such lengths. The HUD message system has an override (ProcessNotify) in the status bar class where you can intercept these messages and handle them as you like.

ConsolUX has a Doom 64 "skin" if you are interested. ConsolUX, however, is sadly unlikely compatible with the latest and greatest GZ, as at least Saturn TC that is based on it is no longer launching for me. :(

EDIT: The screengrabs in release thread don't have that, so I made one quickly

Spoiler

image.png.adaf4df85a0f1b7573cf1a8a7b3b58e2.png

Edited by ludicrous_peridot : screenie