Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
999cop

Anders Johnsen

It was somewhat depressing to read about how DooM has affected Johnsen's life so badly. For a while back there, DooM had a firm stranglehold on my throat too. But I never allowed it to completely obscure the bigger picture -- entertainment is an important part of one's life, but it is not the over-riding part. Especially if it gets in the way of achieving life's broader and longer-term goals.

ReX said:

It was somewhat depressing to read about how DooM has affected Johnsen's life so badly. For a while back there, DooM had a firm stranglehold on my throat too. But I never allowed it to completely obscure the bigger picture -- entertainment is an important part of one's life, but it is not the over-riding part. Especially if it gets in the way of achieving life's broader and longer-term goals.

Ya. I reamber those days. I still play alot of doom. But I like real life too.

nah, Anders is one of those people who consumes whatever interests him. He never goes halfway... once he finds a direction for himself, he'll grab it by the horns.
Must be cool to have all those Doomers so close! Fragging's just a short phone call away. ;)

This is rather sad in a few ways.

I recognize some of my own story in there - except for me the obsession was chess, and I have ended up being able to make a pretty good living out of it. That's mostly thanks to a few pieces of good fortune - otherwise the time would have been as wasted as Anders apparently considers his time spent Dooming.

Some people I know who have given up chess after many years of work and study (esp. grandmasters) seem to feel an almost immediate revulsion towards the game and its players. I hope Andy doesn't feel this way towards Doom.

An obsessive personality isn't a bad thing in itself: it can lead you (obviously) into achievements that "normal" people could not dream of. It just needs to be channeled well. I imagine/hope Andy will soon find something where he can work like a maniac 18 hours a day and make a lot of money from it.

A few years ago, someone like Andy would have had a good chance of getting a job in the computer gaming industry (on the strength of Alien Vendetta and his playing expertise) - think of his fellow Norwegian Kvernmo, and several others who started off as Doom pwad makers (Casali, Myscha, Mayberry, ...). Maybe it is still possible, or maybe Doom is now too far removed from the new games. A company that understands gameplay is king might be willing to overlook that fact though.

But it's certainly a great shame that it is possible to be among the very best in the world at something and get so little reward.

Moderation is the key. Anything can be taken to extremes, Doom is no different. My school experiences are JUST like what Anders described, hehehe. I still love the game and won't give it up, but I've grown up myself and am constantly doing new things.

Already said this to Anders.
I have been that long part of the community, but Anders is one of them there teached kinda how to play Doom DM, :).
And it is sad to see him go, I will miss his dooming alot. :(
Thank god, he still go on irc tho.

It don't make it any easier but here's a true artist who has suffered for his art as true artists must. It's the eternal story, walking the line between genius and maddness.
All respect to you Anders for your achievements and your most beautiful demos. You've brought sheer pleasure and awe to so many. It's just a shame society don't reward such achievements so easily.
As Grazza said,"I imagine/hope Andy will soon find something where he can work like a maniac 18 hours a day and make a lot of money from it."
I think many will feel the same...best of luck greatest Doomer ever.

his story sounds frighteningly similar to what i'm doing now O_O anyway, best of luck with whatever's next for you.

Doom and the community are a neat little corner of my life, but that's it, just a corner. All corners are equally important in the tapestry of my life.

pritch said:

Doom and the community are a neat little corner of my life, but that's it, just a corner. All corners are equally important in the tapestry of my life.

DOOM "COMMUNITY" IS A LIE. THERE IS NO "COMMUNITY", ONLY HUMAN CUBICS. REAL LIFE IS A FIVE DIMENSIONAL TAPESTRY WITH FOURTEEN CORNERS.

YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID.

fraggle said:

DOOM "COMMUNITY" IS A LIE. THERE IS NO "COMMUNITY", ONLY HUMAN CUBICS. REAL LIFE IS A FIVE DIMENSIONAL TAPESTRY WITH FOURTEEN CORNERS.

YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID.

Heh, I wasn't being literal.

Besides we all know it's really an inverse polymorphic nonegon with the tapestry weaved around it's 4.7 corners.

pritch said:

Besides we all know it's really an inverse polymorphic nonegon with the tapestry weaved around it's 4.7 corners.

Since when does a nonagon have 4.7 corners?

Fredrik said:

Since when does a nonagon have 4.7 corners?

Because it's inversely polymorphic.

ravage said:

Because it's inversely polymorphic.

Bing inversely polymorphic would still make it a nonagon.

pritch said:

i don't think you got his joke, man. timecube.com

Hmm...guess I missed it. I guess you can say apathy is taking over my life though.

Ultraviolet said:

Bread makes me poop!

Hey, change your sig back so I don't have to update your title.

Ralphis said:

I AM ALSO LEAVING THE DOOM WORLD. FOREVER!!

What, again?

Lüt said:

Hey, change your sig back so I don't have to update your title.

Hey you, give me my 3500 posts back or I'll kick you in the arse