Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
DeathWolf1982

90's Doom wads

Well back in the 1990's many people were doing mods based off tv shows like "Beavis and Butt-head" and "The Simpsons",

many of those wads had poorly drawn sprites, loud sounds.

do we like 90's wads?

I hope they get remakes like Ultimate Simpsons Doom.

9 hours ago, ElmStreetSlasher1984 said:

do we like 90's wads?

No

I hope they get remakes like Ultimate Simpsons Doom.

If there are actually people who are willing to draw hundreds of sprites, then probably

and holiday wads such as Christmas or Halloween.

https://www.doomworld.com/forum/topic/103116-fruit-salad-6-small-maps-including-a-christmas-theme-and-some-neat-colour-trickery/?tab=comments#comment-1936353

Batman Doom, Aliens TC, and such are quite well-regarded, although you'd probably have to ask someone who's actually played them if they've actually aged ok. There's also army of darkness TC, but that one doesn't quite have the same reputation.

On 8/17/2022 at 2:41 PM, ElmStreetSlasher1984 said:

do we like 90's wads?

Yes we do! 90's wads is my jam. Some of my favourite maps are from those shovelware discs. I have many fond memories of 90's Dooming, those were the best. I kind of actually prefer them over todays stuff.

47 minutes ago, LadyMistDragon said:

Batman Doom, Aliens TC, and such are quite well-regarded, although you'd probably have to ask someone who's actually played them if they've actually aged ok. There's also army of darkness TC, but that one doesn't quite have the same reputation.

I recently played through Aliens TC. I think it is more interesting for what it tried to do, than by what it actually does.

The conversion has kind of a Survival Horror Feel, focusing on ammo starvation, ambushes and some minor scripted sequences. One thing that i found cool was tha use of radio clips from the movies on certain areas, it is not something seen very often and would probably be mind blowing for 1994. The bad thing is that the map layouts are very confusing, and that it feels boring as i was constantly getting lost inside air vents.

I think it is worth playing due to the historical relevance, but it is not "fun" per se. I had some problems getting it to run on source ports, instead of that i had to use engine version 1.2 on dosbox, which i got from here

I definitely like 90's wads, there's something about the more simplistic level design and the more fundamental themes explored that naturally don't stray too far from the original IWADs(Hell, Ruined Tech Base, Satanic Rooms etc) that retain their charm compared to the more complex, adventurous and far-out modern wads(don't get me wrong, some of them are phenomenal aswell!).

And yeah I grew up with the original IWADS so I'm going to be a tad biased.

There's a pretty cool DOOM TC called "Zombies" from around 96 or 97... it didn't age well but it's definitely a product of its time and a cool piece of modding to look at considering the time of its release.

14 hours ago, Garlichead said:

I had some problems getting it to run on source ports, instead of that i had to use engine version 1.2 on dosbox,

To play Aliens TC on source ports you can try this revised and fixed version by @Quasar.  

The original version was updated by Justin Fisher to work with Ultimate Doom: part 1 and part2

Theirs a charm to alot of them even the bad ones one of my First wads i played i think was a 90s one it was an open map with alot of lava pits it was a doom 1 Pwad i cannot recall the name though as it was over 15 years ago i played it.