Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
invictius

Does a gaming mouse have any real use outside of nu-doom games?

I'm guessing a source port could add enough complexity to gameplay to warrant using one?  Obviously vanilla wouldn't benefit from much other than dpi adjustment.

there's really 2 camps of "gaming" mice these days, at this point most of sensors are all accurate enough unless it's an alley x press special that somehow has sourced a different sensor:

• the rgb light-emmiting, on the fly "sniper mode" with lots of drivers and macros you can set for Every Button in the drivers (and the led Whatevers).
  • 5 buttons and a scroll wheel, driverless with dpi/polling rate adjustment on the bottom or through the mouse itself somehow.

i have a mouse in the second category and it stays on 400dpi unless i really want to trip my muscle memory

There are players who use side buttons on their mice for more comfortable SR50 binds (Right click as Strafe On + side buttons as Turn Left/Right).

There are also a handful of people who use MMO mice and hit all the weapon swap keys with their thumb.

DPI adjustment doesn't really matter in Doom, I doubt anyone actively changes their DPI mid-game, though if my mouse had one, I'd probably use it to mess up glides less.

1 hour ago, invictius said:

I'm guessing a source port could add enough complexity to gameplay to warrant using one?  Obviously vanilla wouldn't benefit from much other than dpi adjustment.

A source port mod could make the gameplay either complex or quick enough to warrant its features, like additional mouse buttons or somesuch.

As is, Doom can be quite comfortably played on a gamepad. A more modern one may give you gyro support, feels like you’re really “steering” the Doomguy.

I don't really use my G502 to it's fullest extent playing Doom, but it's nice because I can accommodate more bindings to the mouse buttons and free up the keyboard a little if I need to. I usually bind the Run key to G5 (the forward side button) so I don't have to take a finger off the WASD keys to do it. Though I always keep my DPI at a consistent point and free up the buttons that would be used for DPI changes by default.

It's useful if you play Heretic/Hexen or anything else in the Doom engine with an inventory, because it handles that aspect of the game a lot better than trying to reach for keyboard keys. I don't use it for anything particularly fancy, but the extra buttons are nice.

24 minutes ago, MemeMind said:

It is useful for Gzdoom mods that add alot of keybinds.

What mods adds the most keybinds?  Whatever it is, I'd like to check it out.

1 minute ago, invictius said:

What mods adds the most keybinds?  Whatever it is, I'd like to check it out.

Top of my head, Hideous Distructor.

The Roccat Kone I have has two extra side buttons, but I disable one and bind shift to the other one, mainly in order to open Powershell with one hand. That's really the extent of extra binds because I tend to use a configuration more akin to Pro Tools for games with lots of necessary bindings like Heretic and Hexen. As complicated as that is, having loads of buttons on a mouse tends to overwhelm me.

I have a 20 button mouse which is fantastic for custom doombuilder binds. (Shout-out to Dragonfly for the recommendation many moons ago).

1 hour ago, Bridgeburner56 said:

I have a 20 button mouse which is fantastic for custom doombuilder binds. (Shout-out to Dragonfly for the recommendation many moons ago).

A 20 button mouse for DoomBuilder? That's actually a really good idea. May have to look into this for myself!

1 hour ago, Bridgeburner56 said:

Funny you mention that as Dragonfly also recommended me a MMO mouse for Doom mapping a few years ago. (I think asked him how he's doing stuff so fast during his mapping stream). So I ended up getting this bad boy. It rocks for mapping. Nothing better than having mapping commands set up on one click. Ironically, I'm still a super - slow mapper. 

Logitech G600.jpg

4 minutes ago, PeterMoro said:

Funny you mention that as Dragonfly also recommended me a MMO mouse for Doom mapping a few years ago. (I think asked him how he's doing stuff so fast during his mapping stream). So I ended up getting this bad boy. It rocks for mapping. Nothing better than having mapping commands set up on one click. Ironically, I'm still a super - slow mapper. 

Logitech G600.jpg

Yep, that's the one I've got. Takes a bit of getting used to but it's fantastic. I've just slowly added more and more functions to the side buttons. Highly recommended to anyone who maps a lot or wants to speed up their workflow.

2 hours ago, Bridgeburner56 said:

Yep, that's the one I've got. Takes a bit of getting used to but it's fantastic. I've just slowly added more and more functions to the side buttons. Highly recommended to anyone who maps a lot or wants to speed up their workflow.

Noice

I have 4 mmo mice so I guess I should try using atleast one of them for mapping