Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
evil_scientist

NUKE SKUM DETH - short hell-base map for the summer vacation

A short and hopefully fun map... Nothing special, but I had a good time making and playing it. I listened to Napalm Death while working on it, hence the title and the MIDI.

IWAD: Doom 2

Format: Doom 2 (Doom format)

Type: single map

Tested in: GZDoom

Freelook/jump: Freelook ok, no jumping

Playtime: ~10 mins

Difficulty: there are some nasty stuff, but overall medium difficulty. HMP and UV implemented.

Music: "Scum" by Napalm Death

Download: NUKE SKUM DETH.zip

Screens:

Spoiler

Screenshot_Doom_20220818_154032.png.0d69c488f64cdc6790559414952b6528.pngScreenshot_Doom_20220818_154823.png.f57c27e8720d76d2b898af53699eea17.pngScreenshot_Doom_20220818_154938.png.828b78a5719d247369e91f4924c3bd20.png

Hell yea, I had fun playing this map. Played on UV got 100%. Stylistically it looks pretty good and varied. I really liked the look of the first area. It was pretty short but that's ok because it was still fun. The chaingunner in the beginning was really well placed and got me twice, and the first AV nearly made me shit myself. Other than that it felt kind of easy even for UV once you have the SSG and RL.

Overall nice map, good fun. Loved the MIDI.

38 minutes ago, Chud said:

Hell yea, I had fun playing this map. Played on UV got 100%. Stylistically it looks pretty good and varied. I really liked the look of the first area. It was pretty short but that's ok because it was still fun. The chaingunner in the beginning was really well placed and got me twice, and the first AV nearly made me shit myself. Other than that it felt kind of easy even for UV once you have the SSG and RL.

Overall nice map, good fun. Loved the MIDI.

Thanks for playing! That chaingunner gets me sometimes too, and I know it's there :D

This bass intro is legendary...

Doom II _"NUKE SKUM DETH.wad" - MAP01 : "NUKE SKUM DETH by evil_scientist" _ UVMax 100% Speedrun Pistol Start.

13 hours ago, Hitman said:

Doom II _"NUKE SKUM DETH.wad" - MAP01 : "NUKE SKUM DETH by evil_scientist" _ UVMax 100% Speedrun Pistol Start.

Thanks for checking out my map!

Maaaan, you play with some crazy mods! :D Fun sounds effects. Are all items replaced by higher tier ones?

Nice little map as always. My first run was last night with some visitors and I was hoping to record more videos but I had to mess with my computer all night and this morning. When I got things fixed I played again because it's only fair to play when things work right lol 

Good Times 

3 hours ago, Biodegradable said:

Solid work as always, Evil. Good to see a new map from you.

Thanks for the playthrough, Bio! Always appreciated. 

1 hour ago, Clippy said:

Nice little map as always. My first run was last night with some visitors and I was hoping to record more videos but I had to mess with my computer all night and this morning. When I got things fixed I played again because it's only fair to play when things work right lol 

Good Times  

Glad you sorted out the tech issues!

Thanks to you and the Crew for checking this out! I enjoyed the music banter :D :D

Hmmmm I will change that secret sector tag later, good point

58 minutes ago, Casketkrusher said:

Good choice of music dude!

Hell yeah!

Next map soundtrack: https://midisfree.com/download/napalm-death-you-suffer-mid/

Good track, used to play it with my band back in the day.

I also see you are a fellow SLIME enjoyer. Classy!

54 minutes ago, Thelokk said:

It was twenty years ago but I remember like it was yesterday....

But this was nice. Tough beginning and also surprising to see Arch-viles from you! The main issue seemed to be the narrowness of the chainsaw ledge. I had to go over the spot again to tag the secret.

I felt it was a pretty nice shorter map with a decent amount of challenge. The radsuits are sufficient for a brief map as long as you get down to business, and the slime isn't too bad of a damage source it just forces the player to keep moving a bit. Good techbase aesthetic and the areas are well designed for combat. Most of the rooms and monster placements were distinctly uncomfortable without just ripping your spine out which is the right kind of balance. 

Spoiler

The chainsaw secret got me a little bit but I have to admit it was a fair one after checking the editor. I missed it even though I explored that spot multiple times and looked right at it. The other one I found through wall humping and it was very helpful. A chainsaw would have been great earlier on but I felt once you make it to the lift you have plenty of ammo and it becomes more about pressing forward than preserving resources.

My one issue is that while the toxic floors are used well, it creates a classic problem for secret hunting after clearing the map. I can't really complain though, I just turned on god mode once I killed everything. If it were a longer map or had more secrets It'd be a bigger problem. I'd consider small ledges that raise up after you enter the final room, shortcuts, or a cache of radsuits at the end to be a godsend for this purpose. However it's a bit of a vanity thing so I don't consider it a flaw in the map at all.

Also I survived that first archie blind with 3% health and then died to a shotgunner trying to run for a medikit. Figured you'd be proud of that one.

15 hours ago, Thelokk said:

I also see you are a fellow SLIME enjoyer. Classy!

I occasionally play in a noisecore band, we cover "You Suffer"... :) SLIME for LIFE!

14 hours ago, LadyMistDragon said:

It was twenty years ago but I remember like it was yesterday....

But this was nice. Tough beginning and also surprising to see Arch-viles from you! The main issue seemed to be the narrowness of the chainsaw ledge. I had to go over the spot again to tag the secret.

Thanks a lot! 

Hehh, I am personally also satisfied with how the beginning turned out. I wanted to make it somewhat challenging (which is also a challenge to myself, as usually my maps tend towards lighter combat). I think I managed to have good "waves" of enemies... the Cacos floating in from outside once the door opens, etc.

Clippy also pointed out the secret tag problem, I'm definitely changing it in an updated version!

14 hours ago, azerty said:

Short but challenging my time was well spent :) 

Glad you had fun! Thanks for the video too.

4 hours ago, Lucius Wooding said:

I felt it was a pretty nice shorter map with a decent amount of challenge. The radsuits are sufficient for a brief map as long as you get down to business, and the slime isn't too bad of a damage source it just forces the player to keep moving a bit. Good techbase aesthetic and the areas are well designed for combat. Most of the rooms and monster placements were distinctly uncomfortable without just ripping your spine out which is the right kind of balance. 

Reveal hidden contents

The chainsaw secret got me a little bit but I have to admit it was a fair one after checking the editor. I missed it even though I explored that spot multiple times and looked right at it. The other one I found through wall humping and it was very helpful. A chainsaw would have been great earlier on but I felt once you make it to the lift you have plenty of ammo and it becomes more about pressing forward than preserving resources.

My one issue is that while the toxic floors are used well, it creates a classic problem for secret hunting after clearing the map. I can't really complain though, I just turned on god mode once I killed everything. If it were a longer map or had more secrets It'd be a bigger problem. I'd consider small ledges that raise up after you enter the final room, shortcuts, or a cache of radsuits at the end to be a godsend for this purpose. However it's a bit of a vanity thing so I don't consider it a flaw in the map at all.

Also I survived that first archie blind with 3% health and then died to a shotgunner trying to run for a medikit. Figured you'd be proud of that one.

Thank you, and the extra thoughtful comments are much appreciated! 

On 9/4/2022 at 6:22 PM, Custom Longplay said:

Nuke Skum Deth - [4K] - [100%]

Wow, nukeage looks and SOUNDS very nice in this mod!

Thanks for the playthrough!!!!!!