Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Vic

Doom 32X Resurrection

v2.2 is now available at RHDH. Changes in this update are:

• New exclusive port of the original map "Slough of Despair" (MAP18) by Wavy.
  • Ported the "skinface" intermission background from the original game.
  • Added support for playback of uncompressed 8-bit and IMA ADPCM-compressed 4-bit WAV files.
  • The ZGM music file format has been upgraded to support PCM samples (reserved for future use) and is now part of SGDK's XGM toolset.
  • Fixed bug in the sound mixer which resulted in stereo channels being swapped around occasionally.
  • Added CD/32X+ volume slider to the audio menu.
  • Tweaked MegaSD detection timeout - fixes compatibility issues with MD+ on the MegaEverdrive Pro.
  • The status bar now displays the "mowdown" face upon taking damage from environmental hazards.
  • The 252 pixels-wide screen mode has been widened to 256 pixels.
  • Fixed spectre's position being off on the finale screen.
  • The punch impact sound has been re-added to the game.
  • A different tile is now used for the final text briefing background.
  • Improved framerate in the menus.
  • Added 100% completion color indication to the kills/items/secret counters on the automap.

5 hours ago, Vic said:
  • New exclusive port of the original map "Slough of Despair" (MAP18) by Wavy.

Sounds like a good opportunity to make a bonus for my full game TAS walkthough:

Spoiler

5 minutes ago, Dimon12321 said:

Sounds like a good opportunity to make a bonus for my full game TAS walkthough:

Oh wow! I didn't expect to see this so soon, especially it being a map I ported. Awesome stuff!

@Wavy The map looks great! I feel like it was cut from Jaguar Doom because there were too many trees and flames blocking your path.
My only nitpick is that sector 13 tag 3 (for PC version) doesn't lower 6 platforms with shotgunners at the beginning of the "index finger" section.

8 minutes ago, Dimon12321 said:

My only nitpick is that sector 13 tag 3 (for PC version) doesn't lower 6 platforms with shotgunners at the beginning of the "index finger" section.

You can lower the platforms with the shotgunners. You first have to shoot the wall behind the shotgunners, which will then raise a stone pillar which has a red triangle that you can walk over, lowering the platforms.

1 minute ago, Wavy said:

You can lower the platforms with the shotgunners. You first have to shoot the wall behind the shotgunners, which will then raise a stone pillar which has a red triangle that you can walk over, lowering the platforms.

Oh, so looks like I didn't know the map enough well xD

Has anyone played version 2.2a besides me? Now the enemies are gone and it's raining rockets. This makes the game completely unplayable.

Sorry for my bad English I'm from Germany.

For those of you who've downloaded v2.2a, please head over to RHDN as I had to re-upload the patch - something went horribly wrong during the build process of the ROM which rendered the game unplayable :(

Sorry for the inconvenience guys!

First off, congrats on the project coming to fruition. This is how Doom should have been on the 32X, and playing through it after owning and playing the original 32X version for years was almost like playing an entirely new game.

From what I've seen, the Jaguar version seems to basically be all ported over. The bonus map is cool, but it begs the question, are any other maps being ported over, or is the mod basically done (save for bug fixes, etc.)?

If you check project github, you can see support for Sega Mapper is being worked on. That will allow creation of larger rom files (more than 4MB) with more maps and stuff.

The mapper also allows for the two biggies that were removed because of space limits: the Cyberdemon and the Spider Mastermind. Those two add almost 2MB to the size of the rom.

Sounds a little like the end goal has gone from basically turning the 32X port into the Jaguar port, to now turning the 32X port into a complete version of Doom for the 32X... which would be cool.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but regular Doom has 27 levels between the normal ones and the hidden ones, right? And the Jaguar version has a few original maps that weren't in the PC version (Hell Keep and Tower Of Babel were completely redone to be new maps, if I recall), while DIS on Jaguar was Fortress Of Mystery on PC. So that means there's what... 4 or 5 levels to be brought in yet, along with any tweaks to the levels already there, plus the two big bosses?

That's a lot of work.

Edited by The Coop : Clarification.

There's no intention to port the original PC maps except for maybe the boss maps.

Or you could put the Cyberdemon/Spider Mastermind in that tiny map that Tower Of Babel was turned into, to save some space. That'd be a fun battle.

Or put them both in there, just to be sadistic.

It doesn't surprise me any that someone is making carts for D32XR. I rather doubt they've got a license from id for the game data, so it's almost certainly not legit. But if you DID get a license from id, it would be completely legit. There's nothing in the various licenses used for the D32XR code that says you can't use it in commercial products, so getting id to license the data and their part of the original code is all you'd need for a legit cart/digital rom sale.

This has to be my favourite way of experiencing Doom on a 16-bit system. Just curious, though: How does one get the JagDoom assets, or would it be possible to even use custom assets, like resprites of Doomguy's head or the Statusbar, for example

12 hours ago, Greenknight9000 said:

This has to be my favourite way of experiencing Doom on a 16-bit system. Just curious, though: How does one get the JagDoom assets, or would it be possible to even use custom assets, like resprites of Doomguy's head or the Statusbar, for example

You can extract the D32XR WAD from the ROM using the following command:

dd if=D32XR.32x of=D32XR.wad skip=172 bs=1024 conv=notrunc

Now you can open that file in SLADE but it won't be able to update the file without breaking stuff. The currently recommended way to manage WAD resource for D32XR is by using the "wacode" python script from https://github.com/viciious/wadcode:

python wadcode decompile --big-endian D32XR.wad D32XR

This will produce a directory D32XR with individual lumps and files, which you can modify and compile back using the reverse process:

python wadcode compile --big-endian D32XR D32XR.wad

There's also a whole bunch of other tools that facilitate working with D32XR-compatible assets in that repository:

- img2jagobj that converts an image file to JagDoom graphical asset

- patch2jagobj that converts a Doom patch to JagDoom graphical asset

- raw2jagsnd - converts raw PCM samples to JagDoom sound

- texture1 - converts the TEXTURE1 lump from/to a JSON file

You can the import the modified WAD back into the ROM using dd:

dd if=D32XR.32x of=D32XR_.temp count=172 bs=1024 conv=notrunc
cat D32XR.wad >>D32XR_.temp
dd if=D32XR_.temp of=D32XR_.32x bs=512K conv=sync
rm D32XR_.temp

Now adding new maps is a more complicated process, I'm sure Wavy can elaborate on that :)

This is my first time ever playing a Doom game. Thank you for all your work, this rom is amazing. 

Also, I'm not sure if this is considered a glitch but I can get stuck in a wall at the end of Mt. Erebus. Straight across from the exit door. You don't get stuck permanently, you can get out of it.

mterebusglitch.jpg

9 hours ago, BiggusDickus said:

This is my first time ever playing a Doom game. Thank you for all your work, this rom is amazing. 

Also, I'm not sure if this is considered a glitch but I can get stuck in a wall at the end of Mt. Erebus. Straight across from the exit door. You don't get stuck permanently, you can get out of it.

mterebusglitch.jpg

Thanks!

The glitchy Mt. Erebus wall is a known issue. Hopefully Wavy or someone will get around to fixing it at some point...

P.S.

Say hello to your wife Incontinentia for me.

On 10/18/2022 at 9:47 AM, Vic said:

You can extract the D32XR WAD from the ROM using the following command:

dd if=D32XR.32x of=D32XR.wad skip=172 bs=1024 conv=notrunc

Now you can open that file in SLADE but it won't be able to update the file without breaking stuff. The currently recommended way to manage WAD resource for D32XR is by using the "wacode" python script from https://github.com/viciious/wadcode:

python wadcode decompile --big-endian D32XR.wad D32XR

This will produce a directory D32XR with individual lumps and files, which you can modify and compile back using the reverse process:

python wadcode compile --big-endian D32XR D32XR.wad

There's also a whole bunch of other tools that facilitate working with D32XR-compatible assets in that repository:

- img2jagobj that converts an image file to JagDoom graphical asset

- patch2jagobj that converts a Doom patch to JagDoom graphical asset

- raw2jagsnd - converts raw PCM samples to JagDoom sound

- texture1 - converts the TEXTURE1 lump from/to a JSON file

You can the import the modified WAD back into the ROM using dd:

dd if=D32XR.32x of=D32XR_.temp count=172 bs=1024 conv=notrunc
cat D32XR.wad >>D32XR_.temp
dd if=D32XR_.temp of=D32XR_.32x bs=512K conv=sync
rm D32XR_.temp

Now adding new maps is a more complicated process, I'm sure Wavy can elaborate on that :)

Sorry for pestering a little more, but how does one use the dd, cat and rm commands? Are they a part of wadcode or another program not listed? Apologies - I'm still a little unfamiliar with compiling things, but slowly getting a hang of things!

8 hours ago, Vic said:

P.S.

Say hello to your wife Incontinentia for me.

Ha, will do.

Also one more thing I stumbled upon. I't's probably a feature for you guys, just not sure if I'm suppose to be able to trigger it on my end. I'm playing on Retroarch, and I use Start+Select as my hotkeys to get back to the Retroarch menu. So when I do that I realized I can start cycling through these different visual modes:

doomcyc1.jpg

doomcyc2.jpg

doomcyc3.jpg

doomcyc4.jpg

3 hours ago, Greenknight9000 said:

Sorry for pestering a little more, but how does one use the dd, cat and rm commands? Are they a part of wadcode or another program not listed? Apologies - I'm still a little unfamiliar with compiling things, but slowly getting a hang of things!

They are part of the coreutils package on most Unix systems. There are also ports of CoreUtils for windows out there: https://gnuwin32.sourceforge.net/packages/coreutils.htm

They are also included with Git for Windows

1 hour ago, BiggusDickus said:

I't's probably a feature for you guys,

It is!

19 minutes ago, Vic said:

They are part of the coreutils package on most Unix systems. There are also ports of CoreUtils for windows out there: https://gnuwin32.sourceforge.net/packages/coreutils.htm

They are also included with Git for Windows

It is!

Okay! I managed to decompile all 1782 files into the D32XR folder. I found the tools you listed, though I'm not sure how to use them - I'm basically just looking so I can swap Doomguy's head and weapons sprites with my own so I'm not sure where to look. Sorry if this is super obvious and I'm not thinking right - I'm still new to all this and if I'm not posting in the right forum, I just figure I'd give this a shot and have my own personalized D32XR to play 

22 hours ago, Vic said:

Hopefully Wavy or someone will get around to fixing it at some point...

I will! Sorry about this issue everyone. I do promise that it'll be fixed in the next build, among other map bugs.