Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
El Jeff

2 ENEMY COMMUNITY PROJECT [DEVELOPMENT THREAD]

35 minutes ago, Emperor S P O O N said:

There should be an updated version of the map if you scroll down a bit. It should fix a few balancing issues and those teleport issues like you said, but like I said earlier it still needs playtesting for co-op. For the sake of convenience, I'll just re-upload it here.

RockEvery.zip

thanks lad

Update to my map. Changelog:

• Added coop starts.
  • Did away with the blue key/door and replaced them with a switch that simply opens the exit door.
  • Detail additions and tweaks.

mfg_2enemy_v2.zip

• Made vents transparent (thanks Doomy__Doom!);
  • Fixed several softlocks in the first crate area and behind the crates near the yellow door;
  • Minor texture alignment fixes;
  • Deathmatch support added, with exclusive starts and weapons.

TheChasmv1.1.rar

• Fixed a single trigger that prevented the player from completing the map;
  • Fixed an edge case where under certain conditions a middle texture could bleed through the floor;
  • Added an additional area near the end of the map, where you can get the yellow key on UV;
  • Added a few extra computer screens to the last area for better visibility;
  • Slightly updated the deathmatch area, now you have to press a switch to get the BFG.
    TheChasmv1.2.rar
Edited by ONETAPPYBOI

my map is done! :D

name: sack of spider-filled poisonous potatoes

monsters: you are never gonna guess... ok arachnotrons and pain elementals.

description: it's like... a cave... temple... with... yeah...

slot: 5?? (i wouldnt mind getting swapped if the map turns out to be too hard e-e")

custom elements: no :^3

custom midi: "Another World of Beasts" from Final Fantasy Anthology  (i got it from sunlust's map 14)

difficulty levels: yes, implemented wooo! :O 

coop?: the spawns ARE there and some extra green armors, buuuut its not tested much :P

feedback is always appreciated! ^^

here are some screenies:

Spoiler

doom00.png

doom01.png

doom02.png

doom03.png

download

2 hours ago, Luleta said:

my map is done! :D

name: sack of spider-filled poisonous potatoes

monsters: you are never gonna guess... ok arachnotrons and pain elementals.

description: it's like... a cave... temple... with... yeah...

slot: 5?? (i wouldnt mind getting swapped if the map turns out to be too hard e-e")

custom elements: no :^3

custom midi: "Another World of Beasts" from Final Fantasy Anthology  (i got it from sunlust's map 14)

difficulty levels: yes, implemented wooo! :O 

coop?: the spawns ARE there and some extra green armors, buuuut its not tested much :P

feedback is always appreciated! ^^

here are some screenies:

Reveal hidden contents

doom00.png

doom01.png

doom02.png

doom03.png

download

This is the third map in a row that suffers from lack of texture variety. Even if you want to have a dirt cave aesthetic, there are plenty of ASHWALL, ZIMMER and ROCK textures to choose from. Gameplay wise, the SSG fight is actually pretty nice, the one after that is a bit generic but alright, the RL fight is easily circlestrafeable, (maybe give the player more space (either make the hole bigger or remove the hole altogether and have everything on the same floor level), but make the floor damaging except for a few safe islands that the player has to run between). The 4 switch fight... I don't really like it, maybe i just haven't figured it out, but it seems like you have to take damage when killing lost souls. I would suggest adding a chaingun/plasma gun and some bullets/cells.

FDA: fda-2enemy05.rar

45 minutes ago, Walter confetti said:

Against my good judgement to not join too many community efforts, @Thatonespymain I'll join your project with a Wolf SS and Cyberdemon combo.

Cool. I really need to get started on my map bruh i've been procrastinating

12 hours ago, ONETAPPYBOI said:

This is the third map in a row that suffers from lack of texture variety. Even if you want to have a dirt cave aesthetic, there are plenty of ASHWALL, ZIMMER and ROCK textures to choose from.

aww shucks :( 

i do agree tho.

i personally thought my texturing was a lil monotone, i did use different ASHWALL and TANROCK textures to mix it up a  bit, mainly between rooms but i can see how it could be lil too subtle :P. 
i found it kinda challenging to use different textures that wouldn't break the color palette of the map. decorating ain't my strongest point IMO although i think i did some pretty nice looking rooms for the actual fights i do recognize the area that connects them is a little barebones lol. 
it's tricky to build a conventional map around PE's and Trons since they're so friggin fat so i first designed the main fights and then sorta connected them. : P

i do like the flat RROCK19 for the blue key fight so i may change that on the next  version.

i'll try to add different textures in another release. i would appreciate some visual examples on how to improve the texturing without going too nuts with the layout. some green-ish zimmer/rock textures may work but im having trouble making it look good and organic and not like i wallpapered the walls.

.Gameplay wise, the SSG fight is actually pretty nice

aye cheers, thats the first one i designed, i was worried people would get too mad about the slight platforming buuut yeah. on HMP you get a rad suit and on HNTR the floor just ain't damaging so i think im a merciful mapper :^3

the one after that is a bit generic but alright

:D

the RL fight is easily circlestrafeable,

I actually thought my blue key fight was kinda clever.
you said it's easily circle-strafeable and yet you died trying to do that during the fda heh, no worries tho ill try to explain my thought process and maybe you can give me some tips to improve my execution.

the point of that fight IS to force you to circle-strafe so you take cover from all the surrounding arachnotrons, the PEs teleport in to put lost souls down and make the circling motion trickier. the lost souls are prone to block you, even if the PEs die to the spiders, so i wanted you to pay attention to them so you don't get obliterated by the trons.

specially if you only have the RL, having to pay attentions to the gaps on the PEs and the lost souls to keep circling without dying to the spiders or rocketing yourself was my goal.

maybe give the player more space

i like this, more space may allow me to go even more nuts with the trons, making them more lethal while also improving room for error, allowing me to spawn in more PEs :3

(either make the hole bigger or remove the hole altogether and have everything on the same floor level), but make the floor damaging except for a few safe islands that the player has to run between).

oh no no no! as stated before, the point of the fight is for you to swap cover constantly so you don't die, removing the pit would remove the cover entirely, i don't understand how that could help, i feel like youd just get bombared by trons without cover lol. damaging floor i feel like it COULD work but i think it will mainly chip the player and punish them for no reason

The 4 switch fight... I don't really like it, maybe i just haven't figured it out, but it seems like you have to take damage when killing lost souls.

shucks, i was quite happy with that one. it's supossed to get pretty ugly if you can't take care of the lost souls and PEs in time you survived when i would've considered you dead buuut i guess it works.

good job on surviving that fight first try anyways  :P

I would suggest adding a chaingun/plasma gun and some bullets/cells.

nu uh, plasma is only a reward for those who find the secret and it doesn't even give you enough for every fight.

i really wanted to make the map revolve around the awkward interaction between the PEs and the RL anyways so the plasma is only for extra help, same with the shells.

otherwise you can brute force most fights which i dont like.

i feel like this could be improved by sprinkling the shells around all fights so u always have barely enough to help you clean up if you dont mess up too much.

anyways, i feared people may have trouble with some fights so i prepared a demo playtest beforehand to show how I beat them, it's till a tricky map, or at least that's what i wanted it to be.

i do rocket my face a bit, but thats kinda the nature of the RL v lost souls matchup heh

2mon05playtest.zip

ps: sorry for the long ass post and thank you very very much for the feedback, i always love reading people's thoughts on my levels ^^"

Edited by Luleta : weird spacing

41 minutes ago, Luleta said:

i really wanted to make the map revolve around the awkward interaction between the PEs and the RL anyways so the plasma is only for extra help, same with the shells.

Plasma is a very transformative secret here with how many cells it gives. Leaning towards too easy of a fight for what it provides.

Without plasma the only sane strat I came up with for last fight was to clean one side arachnos as walls lower, then keep hugging the other lifts (never showing self to PEs from the moment button is pressed) and swap sides shooting 3 rockets into each tunnel as something shows up (to use the wall corner as much as possible to avoid lost souls). Sort of trying to control both corridors from advancing too fast and flooding the room.

With plasma I could invest a bare minimum into the pool fight PEs and save ~200 for the final fight, which enabled me to do all 4 archnos->rocket 1 corridor until stuff gets too close for comfort->keep spamming plasma. I won't say plasma completely trivializes the last fight because it can still go very wrong in more ways than one, but it's definitely above "only extra help".

Otherwise, cool combat all around: for cages I settled on a 8-shaped move while rocketing PEs, worked much nicer than rushing arachnos and U-shaping as lost souls get out of control; the well is interesting even after you deal with PE navigation as you have to shoot backwards to not splash yourself.

For lowering floor, maybe a bit too evil, but I'd suggest experimenting with throwing in W1 teleport linedefs for some PEs to move to opposite side of the room, otherwise they are very rushable as the floor lowers slowly.

1 hour ago, Doomy__Doom said:

Plasma is a very transformative secret here with how many cells it gives. Leaning towards too easy of a fight for what it provides.

the plasma fight is kind of a meme just to take advantage of the automap drawing. everytime i playtested i used the plasma that's on the secret to do the secret fight, which lead me to calculate most players should exit with around 150 plasma.

turns out you get WAAAY more plasma apparently. i could replace it with a chaingun and a backpack or i could just give way less cells, enough for u not to die upon finding the secret tho.

Without plasma the only sane strat I came up with for last fight was to clean one side arachnos as walls lower, then keep hugging the other lifts (never showing self to PEs from the moment button is pressed) and swap sides shooting 3 rockets into each tunnel as something shows up (to use the wall corner as much as possible to avoid lost souls). Sort of trying to control both corridors from advancing too fast and flooding the room.

that was pretty much my intention! to make a fight taking advantage of the huge pressure of the potatoes, a race against the clock for you not to get suffocated to death. the lifts are there kind of as a LAST RESORT.

With plasma I could invest a bare minimum into the pool fight PEs and save ~200 for the final fight, which enabled me to do all 4 archnos->rocket 1 corridor until stuff gets too close for comfort->keep spamming plasma. I won't say plasma completely trivializes the last fight because it can still go very wrong in more ways than one, but it's definitely above "only extra help".

darn, i kinda wanted for it to be a bit of  save for people who messed up so it wasn't an instant game over to get surrounded by lost souls. kind of a panic gun e-e

Otherwise, cool combat all around: for cages I settled on a 8-shaped move while rocketing PEs, worked much nicer than rushing arachnos and U-shaping as lost souls get out of control; the well is interesting even after you deal with PE navigation as you have to shoot backwards to not splash yourself.

this guy gets it B)

For lowering floor, maybe a bit too evil, but I'd suggest experimenting with throwing in W1 teleport linedefs for some PEs to move to opposite side of the room, otherwise they are very rushable as the floor lowers slowly.

ehh the lowering floor is kinda design to put u on your toes and not much else. i could be relentless but i think its fair to chill there with the encounter or the map may get too obnoxious with cleaning up lost souls.

i will definitively experiment with the teleporting line tho, cheers!

TL;DR: i should nerf the plasma amount. im happy last fight is tough but HOPEFULLY not bullshit.

thanks a ton for the feedback!

i did an update of my map with the feedback i recieved!

some screenshots of the visual overhaul i did

Spoiler

doom00.png

doom03.png

doom04.png

doom05.png

changes:

Spoiler
  • made things a little prettier :o
  • nerfed the secret
  • spread shells around a bit to promote rocketing yourself! :D
  • added 1 (ONE) single pain elemental to UV :^3
  • added a berserk at the start
  • enhanced hole ;^)

thanks to ONETAPPYBOI, Doomy__Doom, Ravendesk, Savarin and Arsinikk for feedback!

download

Edited by Luleta : forgot to shotout Ravendesk D:

9 hours ago, Luleta said:

i did an update of my map with the feedback i recieved!

some screenshots of the visual overhaul i did

Hide contents

doom00.png

doom03.png

doom04.png

doom05.png

changes:

Reveal hidden contents
  • made things a little prettier :o
  • nerfed the secret
  • spread shells around a bit to promote rocketing yourself! :D
  • added 1 (ONE) single pain elemental to UV :^3
  • added a berserk at the start
  • enhanced hole ;^)

thanks to ONETAPPYBOI, Doomy__Doom, Ravendesk, Savarin and Arsinikk for feedback!

download

I can see the map looks a lot better now. Nice job.

Hey, I'm sorry to say but I have not been inspired in this at all. I tried making a map for about a month now, and every time I could not come up with anything fun. Instead of making a mediocre deathbox that won't make me happy, I rather not make the map at all, if that's ok with @Thatonespymain.

I rather have someone else come up with some fun ideas for my slot! Thx and sorry again

10 hours ago, Savarin said:

Hey, I'm sorry to say but I have not been inspired in this at all. I tried making a map for about a month now, and every time I could not come up with anything fun. Instead of making a mediocre deathbox that won't make me happy, I rather not make the map at all, if that's ok with @Thatonespymain.

I rather have someone else come up with some fun ideas for my slot! Thx and sorry again

It's fine, have fun!

9 hours ago, Thatonespymain said:

Sure! also jesus christ your account is older then me

Pcorf has a few good wads, he's very well known as a mapper :)

@Thatonespymainwith the deadline approaching to the end of the month, how many maps are done so far? it'd be good to update the main post with the maps that are done and the links to them!

maybe at around the middle of the month you should notify the mappers that are missing?

• 2 hours ago, Luleta said:

@Thatonespymainwith the deadline approaching to the end of the month, how many maps are done so far? it'd be good to update the main post with the maps that are done and the links to them!

maybe at around the middle of the month you should notify the mappers that are missing?

i remember making a post a while back that summarized the progress up to that point, maybe find that and then add all maps that are missing.

3 hours ago, Luleta said:

Sorry I’ve been busy with school lately, I’ll try to keep up with this. I need to start on my map and I got an idea for one

@Thatonespymain I've just more or less finnished my map for this project. My combo was cyberdemons and icon of sin. Also as the combo may suggest it's on the harder side. I just hope I didn't make it too hard. Also I' ll probably still be making a few updates (I update all my maps based on feedback and whatever I myself discover during playtesting so it might be inevitable...).

Cyberdemonic sin.zip