Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

I'm currently seeking both a weapon artist and HUD artist for Vapor. If you don't know what Vapor is, I posted some info about it a while ago in tormenters thread ;) . But anyway, I need some great weapon artists, who can do swords, daggers etc. The game (it's freeware), is kind of a cross of Diablo, Lord of the Rings, and Baldurs Gate. As for the HUD, I need someone who can do a professional quality one, as it will consist of the players current: health, mana, weapon, spell, etc. If the weapon artists request anything code wise I'll be happy to create it (breaking weapons, etc). If you think you can help, please post about yourself.

Web site? Screen shots? Background story? Game Engine?

Just popping on here and saying "help me!" with no supporting goodies is not likely to net you much help.

Get some (or all) of what I mentioned above and then come back and ask. You'll probably get a better result. ;)

and what happen with WoW?

Are you trying to be the guy with much started projects or what?

Torn said:

Are you trying to be the guy with much started projects or what?

OMG ITS ME! :P

Heh, I don't know how many times I've seen this sort of thread before, but it's getting tiresome.

As soon as my server comes back online, so will the website. Then you can read loads of information. But here is some of the info taken directly from the site:

Vapor is a freeware game based upon a super modified Zdoom engine. Our intent is to create a super addictive game such as Diablo with rpg elements mixed in with first person action. Single players will be given a character and set on a long journey into vast lands, ranging from the enchanted forests of Zandor to the massive Dark Lands. Once the player has started his/her journey, they may not go back, as there is no way to use multiple characters. You can not save or load your games when you wish, but instead are forced to continue your journey from wherever you left off. Characters grow stronger with the more experience points you get, when you hit certain experience point barriers, you'll recieve a level up and be able to increase character attributes. The first attribute is strength, the players sheer might to inflict crushing blows as well as the size of weapon he'll be able to carry. Secondly, there is speed, the players rate at which he moves and attacks increases, when speed is increased. Lastly, their is the magic attribute, controlling the players ability to cast and learn spells. Between these attributes you can decide whether you want to be a strong warrior, a powerful mage, or a well rounded fighter. The choice is yours...

Along your way you'll meet many fierce enemys, along with a few who wish to fight at your side. You'll choose which lands you venture into, many lands will go unvisited if you continue along one path, or you may stray and find yourself emerged in magical lands untouched by the blade of your sword. Choose your weapons wisely, some have special abilities, as there are thousands of variations. If you're lucky you may find a sword in which almost no ones power matches, or you'll be running around every corner, casting spells and searching for the ever so desired mana. Magical rings may fall from slain enemies, upon being worn they'll cause there own desired effect. Will you live the life of a warrior? Or choose the path of less destruction?

Here is a list of some of the spells that have been created so far, once again. Taken directly from the site:

These are some of the spells that have been completed within Vapor, none of the required levels and attributes are shown as they are not finalized yet. Spells can be learned through books as well as player levels.

Spell of Healing- Heals the being who cast the spell. Heals a maximum of 50 points at a time, but can be used to give the being ultra health. Basic Spell.

Silent Shockwave- Kills or hurts all basic enemies in a very small radius.

Spell of FireBall- Caster emits a fireball capable of killing basic enemies.

Spell of FireBall Ring- Caster emits a ring of very lethal fireballs which cover a small radius, capable of killing most enemies.

Speed Spell- Allows the caster to move much faster for a short time, the higher his level, the faster he moves.

Spell of Repulsion- Repulses all the objects right in front of the caster, however the objects must be in the same room.

Light of Gods Spell- Lights the players surroundings for a short while. The casters magic level effects the amount of time the spell is active.

Spell of Insanity- Nearby enemies go insane and turn against each other, after they slay their prey they will refocus on their original target.

Spell of Freezing Bolt- Freezes all basic targeted enemies for a short time.

Breath of Ice- All basic enemies the caster touches are immediatly frozen for a short time. The more the magic the caster knows, the longer the spell lasts.

Fear Inflictor Spell- While the spell is active, enemies fear the casters rath, scattering if there is an escape route. Magic level effects this one as well.

Tainted Evil Spell- "Taints" the targeted enemy, so for every bit of damage he inflicts to the caster, he also inflicts to himself. Lasts only a moderate time, but is effected by magic level.

I can code pretty much any feature team members request, as long as it isn't anything major renderwise. I already have created TONS of new script commands to intice mappers. Such as:

Function: drawpic()
Usage: drawpic("GRAPHICNAME", x , y, tics)

Notes: drawpic() will draw the specified graphic to the screen using the cordinates given. The name of the graphic must be the exact name of the one you wish to use, it must be within the loaded wads also. Patches will not work, so it has to be a "graphic". The x and y cordinates will be the position of the upper left hand corner. Tics is simply the time the graphic will be displayed. Only one graphic may be displayed at a time using the function. To position the screen directly in the center use the function to get the screen width or height, and subtract half of the images width or height, then assign them to variables and use them as x and y variables. Note: If the image isn't found the engine will need to be restarted.

Example: drawpic("M_DOOM", 10, 50, 80);

Function: docommands()
Usage: docommands("command(s)")

Notes: docommands() executes the given commands just likethey would be executed straight from the console. So the docommands() function can take anything that you can type into the console. You can use for anything from setting options to changing the players health.

Example: docommands("give health 50");

Function: distance()
Usage: distance(thing tid, another tid)

Notes: If you want to get the distance between two objects you can use distance(), which will return a number representing the distance between the objects. The number returned will be how many (64 pixel) tiles are between the objects. If you leave the first tid as 0, it will automatically be assigned as the person who activated the script (the player).

Example: int dist = distance(0, 2);

There are a lot more features too, such as footsteps, material mapping, and tons more :). Basically it's one giant world, with plenty of different "lands" which can be explored or left alone (it won't be a set path). Later I intend to really spice things up with sending of messages via flying creatures to friendly enemies in distance lands. So in the end, it'll have one hell of an atmosphere to it.

you have insane amount of work ahead of you if you plan to pull this off.

GameArena said:

I'm currently seeking both a weapon artist and HUD artist for Vapor. If you don't know what Vapor is, I posted some info about it a while ago in tormenters thread ;) . But anyway, I need some great weapon artists, who can do swords, daggers etc. The game (it's freeware), is kind of a cross of Diablo, Lord of the Rings, and Baldurs Gate. As for the HUD, I need someone who can do a professional quality one, as it will consist of the players current: health, mana, weapon, spell, etc. If the weapon artists request anything code wise I'll be happy to create it (breaking weapons, etc). If you think you can help, please post about yourself.

Yeah okay, good luck with that.

Scuba Steve said:

pfft, weapon artist are all fags.

Since when were you a fag? :P

Erik, everything I posted has already been completed. I'm tired of people saying "You have a lot of work ahead", and honestly, I'm to the point where I truely don't need to do very much more coding, but I choose too just for the fun in it :). But EVERTHING I posted is complete or at least very close to completion, experience, magic, levelups, mana, strength, speed, spells, and all the rest mentioned are complete. In fact in the time inbetween these posts I created a new script type called LOGIC, which executes itself just as it would if it were being called directly in the source, this way mappers can easily create game logic.

It is not entirely your fault that you have been branded the way you have been here.

Let me explain why people are acting like they are towards you.

We have had our share of newbies who immediately announce that they are starting a project and then starts to request all kinds of assistance, sometime in a rather desperate tone. Some have been burned by accepting such a newbie's request only to find out that no work have actually been done or that the project starter "was not up to the task" either skill or motivation-wise.

Therefore it has become custom here to ask any project starters who we do not already know as reliable (a record of successful projects) to show some physical proof of their work. This might be a technical demo with mock monsters (if the project starter is a coder with no artist skills) or level demos or screenshots if the project starter is a levelmaker or artist.

Since you seem to have quite a good idea about what you want I am beginning to trust you. What you seem to be about to make is on the same scale of magnitude as Heretic og Hexen (two commercial games) so it is no wonder that a lot of people are extremely sceptical.

So, I am afraid that you have to get a website up and running and find some way to show your progress in order to establish a team. This will be a major commitment afterall.

No, no maps as of yet, except for one small one I used for testing functions. I can map extremely well, in my opinion, but I may have to create a new editor or ask the maker of WA if I can have the source, that way I can make it easier for mappers to use the brand new functions and make a prefab option in the editor (would be easy), so it wouldn't be so tedious. Little Faith, I may release a tech demo after a while, but right now I'm too busy coding my arse off ;) . As for the website, I'm still waiting for the server to come online.

No, to get this topic back on track. I have banned both SoM and the other guy. If you see them walking around. It's not them... It's a figment of your bizzare imagination... They do not exist...

But seriously, I need HUD and weapon artists.

GameArena said:

No, to get this topic back on track. I have banned both SoM and the other guy. If you see them walking around. It's not them... It's a figment of your bizzare imagination... They do not exist...

But seriously, I need HUD and weapon artists.

Just to set the record straight (from IRC #zdoom):
<GameArena> http://www.doomworld.com/vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=14776 OMG next post, wins an XBOX

Alright guys, that's enough, I didn't really mean it O_O. Anyway, are there any qualified artists out there?

Wow, a lot of the spells you coded in appear to already be a part of Hexen or ZDoom.

Also, all patches have the same name as the graphic lump in the wad, so perhaps you mean the drawpic can't be a TEXTURE (which are made up on one or more patches and do not need to share a name with any of the patches)?

Note: If the image isn't found the engine will need to be restarted.

ROFL, I thought you were a great coder. Good luck learning basic C++ then.

Ask Fredrik or Scuba Steve. Surely they should help you out.

Cyb, spells already in Zdoom? I don't think so :\ . As for Hexen, I have never played it, so I didn't copy any spells from it. I coded them all from scratch. As for you talking about the images, what I said is correct. Patches are stored differently than screen graphics. Therefor the functions to display them are much different. Yeah, I asked fredrik but he doesn't seem to think the game is going anywhere. But I'm sure he has no idea how much has been completed up to this point. Oh and Cyb, what is your problem? I consider myself a great coder, just ask BBG. If you're talking about the restart of the engine, it's no problem now, it'll just refresh all the structures currently in use, therefor flushing the Drawpic() system. So restart was actually a poor word to use. As the user will notice nothing different.

ZDoom has Doom/Hexen/Heretic code in it and there's lots of magic in Hexen and Heretic.

Yeah, I asked fredrik but he doesn't seem to think the game is going anywhere.

That's only half the reason. The rest if a combination of laziness and lack of time.

Nanami, I knew it did, but I usually, don't work with the Hexen code, and hey, why not make create code from scratch ;). Fredrik: Yeah, that's what everybody told me about you :P . I know Scuba Steve is capable of pretty much anything and he seems to be a god, so hopefully I can sway him onto the team.

and when is the website coming?
I think people might want to see what you have done, not a list.

More like screenshots or whatever...

The website will be coming very soon, although it won't have any screenshots right away. That's part of the problem I need a professional HUD artist and such, so the screenshots will somewhat represent the final product.