Find results that contain...
Find results in...
fai1025

UNTERNITY, a 20 maps Boom Compatible Megawad by FAI [1.0 Update]

10 minutes ago, johnnyledger1 said:

Played the first level in Eternity

bruv, my wad is call Unternity lol

44 minutes ago, johnnyledger1 said:

i meant I played it in The Eternity Engine. 

oh sorry lol, because the name is so similar

18 minutes ago, Korozive said:

Don't despair. Posts can get buried rather quickly I find.

yeah, i know, I'm just getting emotional damage on the fact that those "my first wad" post get more attention than my full blown megawad project

anyway, thanks for commenting, enjoy the wad :)

Edited by fai1025

I took this one for a spin and had great fun so far!
I finished Episode One and recorded video of my playthrough (continuous play with saves through first 5 maps but I split it into 5 videos - one per map) - in case you enjoy watching other people play your maps as much as I do :)
I played on HMP as I'm a shitty Doom player and I wasn't fully sure I can berserk a hell knight - after finishing the first map I know that I can :) I died just a few times so difficulty was just about right for me but I was lucky to find most of the secrets. I'm tempted to try Episode Two on UV. Is UV much more difficult than HMP?
I played in Eternity Engine so no episode selection screen but I haven't noticed any bugs. Environment is a pleasure to look at and the fights were satisfying and fun. I like that I could find at least one secret on most maps (I think except the first one) without much trouble. Looking forward to playing the second episode. Let me know if you want videos of that as well.

Some minor suggestions:

Spoiler

On map3 it's not clear that the "door" leading to the exit is a door. There is a small yellow light next to it but it requires red key and it's not clear that it is openable at all. When I found the red key I was wondering where to go next and it took me a while to figure this out. Maybe mark it with red stripes that you use for other keyed doors throughout the map or instead of yellow light use red light on both sides.

On the same map - the fight just before the exit can easily be skipped by just entering the exit - in fact this happened to me accidentally, I reloaded a save to finish with 100% kills - maybe add another switch to reveal the exit or something.

I'm probably a dumb player so feel free to ignore these suggestions but just letting you know where I was confused (you can see it in the video but there is no commentary so I wanted to explain it here). These are exteremely minor issues and the maps are really great.

And here are the videos:

E1M1:

E1M2:

E1M3:

E1M4:

E1M5:

Enjoy!

2 hours ago, jacnowak said:

On map3 it's not clear that the "door" leading to the exit is a door. There is a small yellow light next to it but it requires red key and it's not clear that it is openable at all.

wait that's yellow light?! oh lord my colourblind problem kick in again, i will definity change that when EP3 and 4 release

in anycase thanks for playing through my maps, i'd love a playthrough on EP2 and some feedback I can reflect on during the developement of EP3 and 4

Also played through 1 & 2 on HMP. I found it very easy, mostly because there's a lot of space to herd the mob and get them infighting, understood you weren't going for punishing set pieces, they were all just quite easy to solve in one way.

The maps were nice to look at, secrets were well considered.

1 hour ago, hashmap said:

understood you weren't going for punishing set pieces, they were all just quite easy to solve in one way.

I build my map upon my skill level, so no surprise that it would be quite easy for some people, although I would say later episode would be a lot difficult, I'm trying to make the difficulties progress in Sythc fashion 

I played the second episode. This time I did it on UV and I played in GZDoom to get episode selection screen.
I played with freelook - forgot that you wrote that it's allowed but discouraged. Hopefully that's ok.
I'm glad I played on UV as I think it was even a bit easier than episode 1 on HMP. I found all the secrets (maybe one of them would be less likely to notice without freelook) and maxed all but one map. Enjoyed the set overall, good work!

Some feedback in spoiler:

Spoiler

E2M1
 A nice opening map for the episode.
 First secret was a bit weird as it didn't look as a secret, is it intentional?
 I was almost sure that the exit will be fake as I found all secrets and still had a lot of kills left :) Still enjoyed it though as the ambush was pretty intense.
 I like the little doomcute fishing hole in the ice :)

E2M2
 Visually a bit bland, I think you used mostly one texture, I think you could add some metal/concrete structures to make it more varied. The arena was quite easy as there was a lot of room to move around. I still enjoyed it though, I think it fits well MAP07 theme.

E2M3
 Definitely the best level of the episode, even though I didn't max it.
 There was a fair amount of exploration and more casual encounters.
 The warehouse area was really well done, it's interesting visually and it has a good layout to fight in.
 My only compain was that I ran out of ammo, so I ran away from the final fight after figuring out that I won't make it with what I have. Maybe along with the yellow key, give the player some more ammo? Not sure if it was a lot of monster teleporting in or it's just one archvile that resurrected everybody but I couldn't kill him with just a shotgun as he was surronded by other monsters he kept resurrecting.
 I was generally starving for ammo on this map and this could be partly my fault as when finishing the previous map I forgot to collect ammo before entering the exit so I didn't carry stuff over. Also, I probably wasted too much in the main fight, so this can be all on me.
 There is a fair amount of backtracking to the yellow key in the end, it would be cool if there was some kind of shortcut or some monsters to fight on the way back. The latter option would also discourage escaping from the last fight as I did - I would add more ammo after grabbing yellow key and obstruct the escape route by some barons or hell knights to encourage the player to fight. But that's just a suggestion, I still enjoyed the map a lot despite this problem with ammo.

E2M4
 A nice change of pace after the previous level, giving the player a bit of breathing room.
 Good that you made these concrete structures in the final fight arena, they make the visuals more interesting than E2M2

E2M5
 A nice final arena, I like the brutalistic architecture and the fact that everything opens up in the end.
 It is quite easy though as there is plenty of room to move around, maybe scale it down a bit?
 I found one bug - death exit doesn't work correctly, at least in GZDoom - as you can see in the video after entering the exit I died and previous save got reloaded, it only worked when I iddqd'd.

And here are the videos:

E2M1:

E2M2:

E2M3:

E2M4:

E2M5:

Thanks for sharing, looking for more from you!

I gave this project quick run on easy difficulty, so some things might be different for someone else who ran this on hmp or uv. So, few things I noticed:

• In map03 exit area, you placed archvile, but thing is that it's completely harmless because you placed exit teleporter and player can just rush to escape it. I suggest move it where hell knights spawn or zombie/imps, that way players will have more things to do.
  • Map10, last arena - you want tweak stairs a bit, because those pinkies can't come down rendering them cheap meat for bfg gun, completely harmless. Making stairs less high you would give pinky demons more chance to attack. Of course, you could remove them and reposition them somewhere else. 
  • Visuals - I'd say you could introduce 2 more rock textures around to break monotonous look, same with rocky flats. I also had some gripe with switches - it's easy to miss those if you're rushing around, I'd replace some of those into bigger versions - that way it would be less chances to miss it. 

Overall, this project slightly reminds me "Good Morning, Phobos" megawad, which good thing. Keep working and improving, I'll be waiting for next episodes!  

22 hours ago, jacnowak said:

death exit doesn't work correctly, at least in GZDoom - as you can see in the video after entering the exit I died and previous save got reloaded

Idk, it work for me. do you have any like automatic respawn stuff? if not, it's probably just you press use right after death, or else i have no idea how to implemet a death exit that take your weapon without using telefraging Romero and a bunch of barrel (and Boom compatible)

18 hours ago, Misty said:

I'd say you could introduce 2 more rock textures around to break monotonous look, same with rocky flats. I also had some gripe with switches - it's easy to miss those if you're rushing around, I'd replace some of those into bigger versions - that way it would be less chances to miss it. 

I'm not really that good at playing around with rocks, but I'll definitly try to improve that in future map, but don't expect Ep1 and 2 have a new look because I don't want to fall into infinite loop of "this map looks bad, remake, still look bad, remake" and until I abandon the project (real story)

Today is Oct 10th, Taiwan's national day

Here I bring you the 1.0 update, I fix some problems you guys told me and add some polish

Currently I finished 80% of Episode 3, I know it's a slow progress, I got caught in the wind of a CP and I join it, spent quite a long time on it, I also take break a bit because my map production is correlated with my music production, and recently I can't really make some insightful MIDIs, so I spent a lot of time practice and trying to find the perfect chords and notes combination.

Also I can cancelled Ep5 and 6, I think it's unnecessary and Im eager to finish this project, hope you can understand.

anyway enjoy, report any problem and I'll update it again when I finish the project