Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Gougaru

If you could create any type of custom monster, what would it be and what would it do?

Theres this really unique cadodemon variant on r667. Its called the weakener and as it name suggests, it weakens you when are hit. Theres also a boss monster there that also does that effect. 

Something like the spirit or buff totem from Doom Eternal would be interesting in Classic Doom.

I think support monsters that buff their allies and nerfs the player is interesting. 

On 9/18/2022 at 3:08 PM, Doomkid said:

As much as I’ve heard people cry and pee about hitscanners over the years, this sounds like a way to guarantee frustration for most players. A ton of damage, out of nowhere, from an enemy I can’t see unfortunately sounds like the worst aspect of hitscanners, but multiplied. And this is coming from someone who LOVES Doom’s hitscanners (even if I still think the chaingunners are a bit too mean in terms of DPS.. thank the lord for WolfSS reskins!)

Well I think the fact that you can get their sniper rifle makes up for it.

A zombie that wanders slowly once alerted like a zombie man. No ranged attack, only attacks like 1/5 as often as a typical ranged zombie, but when it does attack it shrieks and rushes the player at very high speed for a melee attack. Similar in behavior to a lost soul but more like a rage zombie.

I’d love to see an enemy like The Thing where it can morph into different creatures and imitate them (and more importantly imitate their attacks), and once it’s weakened you fight its original state (some new design) and if you don’t bring it down in time it heals and can go back to imitating other monsters. It’d be a boss turned regular enemy a la the Spider-Mastermind or Cybie. Could be normal sized unlike those other bosses but would be difficult because it could throw a variety of attacks at you. Imagine it could imitate a Baron, then a pinkie, then an Archie and use their attacks and abilities against you. It could maybe start at half health and then that health fills if you don’t kill it soon enough (yes yes I’m way beyond vanilla capabilities at this point) meaning the longer it goes undetected the stronger it gets.

Also as someone else mentioned more low to mid tier enemies - tougher than an imp but less strong than a Revenant and not a hitscanner.

A rocket guy that fires a single player-grade rocket, have as much health as a shotgun guy. Drops a rocket when dies. Can be pretty mean like chaingunners but with careful placement can cause a lot of infighting.

A low-tier flying monster that has a projectile attack, like a flying imp or something. Cacodemons are too beefy to be considered low-tier even though they're not that powerful.

9 hours ago, Uni said:

A rocket guy that fires a single player-grade rocket, have as much health as a shotgun guy. Drops a rocket when dies. Can be pretty mean like chaingunners but with careful placement can cause a lot of infighting.

A low-tier flying monster that has a projectile attack, like a flying imp or something. Cacodemons are too beefy to be considered low-tier even though they're not that powerful.

I like the idea of "fodder" flying enemies like the Gargoyle from Doom Eternal. They open up a lot of possibilities for combat.

Actually the Cybruiser is cool, but I have my own spin on it, this shit was actually pretty easy to do in vanilla too, but basically 750 health, fires a baron fireball and a rocket in a burst and then ofc moves around until it gets hit, by using the SS firing behaviour but modified, again easy peasy, and makes for a nice and formidable foe.

Also, I'm thinking about removing the moves before attack tag on these (they also have the attacks instantly upon taking damaged tag) but it would make the already impossible levels with SS before you get any big guns/space even more shitty.

All I need to do is incorporate the gib states into the death anims (easy to do in WhackEd4) to make the death anims nice and smooth.

Besides it's physically impossible to gib these muthafuckers

Also prepare to see these shits in an upcoming map  ^_^

Okay prepare for an essay lmao:

Spoiler

The map I'm working on rn features mostly weak cybers (Cybruisers) because they have much less health, have no resistance to blast damage (meaning that they can infight) and also because they attack at around 75% speed as the strong bois and also because they have half of the  reaction time as the big bois (8 for weak, 4 for normal) I also deleted their pain chances (for both) so they can get salvos off uninterrupted.
Sounds OP don't they
Well the weak guys have around 300 - 500 hp (I can't remember personally) and the big guys have 750 hp, blast damage resistance, a faster attack speed, a lower reaction time and shoot upon being hit.
But I'm using those sparingly
Even though
The one of the strong guys I did place can fuck off
(The big shits do replace masterminds, required me to recycle walk frames for the attacks, because I wanted the strong and weak guys to look distinct from each other, because they used to use the exact same sprites, (the SS ones up to SSVT0)

Edited by Codename_Delta

4 hours ago, bofu said:

I like the idea of "fodder" flying enemies like the Gargoyle from Doom Eternal. They open up a lot of possibilities for combat.

Like the ones from Heretic and Hexen?

One thing I've thought about is a monster with the same basic attacking niche as the archvile/shambler: conspicuous charge up for a big damage shot. Add a twist to that formula, and also give them a quickly resolving area of effect, damage over time attack like the tomed hellstaff. It'd have a great ability to put pressure on the player.

I'd like to see a very-fast enemy that will still seek the player but always tries to keep its distance from the player, with a radius buffer of about 768. If the player approaches this enemy it will back up (while still facing and attacking the player) and attempt to keep its distance. Unlike every other monster, this one would avoid the player which would give it a much more defensive tactic. It could have either a hit-scan or projectile, I'm not sure which would work best. But this tactic is what us players essentially do when a swarm of enemies starts heading towards us, we will often back-up and shoot; so lets give us players a taste of our own medicine.

I'm imagining that while this enemy doesn't enter the player's radius buffer, they still keep moving, working their way around the player, complicating retreat. Add these enemies into an arena fight with other typically aggressive enemies and watch the player scramble when their typical monster herding and circle-strife strategy falls apart. Because these enemies would be *nearly* as fast as the player they would be very pesky but the best way to kill them would be to back them against a wall or corner and blast them.

Edited by Egregor

A faster Baron (as fast as Archvile) that fires a spread of Mancubus fireballs and has its default melee attack. Would make it VERY scary in confined quarters, like a maze or a library with tall bookcases.

16 hours ago, Egregor said:

I'd like to see a very-fast enemy that will still seek the player but always tries to keep its distance from the player, with a radius buffer of about 768. If the player approaches this enemy it will back up (while still facing and attacking the player) and attempt to keep its distance. Unlike every other monster, this one would avoid the player which would give it a much more defensive tactic. It could have either a hit-scan or projectile, I'm not sure which would work best.

I feel like a classic version of the Hell Razer would fit this role super well, with its wind-up hitscan attack.

I would love a "smart" enemy that fires AHEAD of you. If you stay still it fires directly at you; if you move without turning more than 90 degrees for a short interval, it fires at the space in your path, such that its projectile is timed to hit you unless you change your speed or direction.

It would add a twist to the old "circle the crowd" strategy by moving a killzone into the circle. You'd have to add in a second movement, zig-zagging, reversing, or pausing. It would also let you force infighting by running directly at a monster, prompting the smartass to shoot it out of your path, which could be cool.

Multi-segmented worm enemy a la EOW from Terraria
Can't be shot after it burries itself underground but vulnerable when it surfaces and lunges up in the air

Another thing i would like to pull off would be a suicide "lost soul" type of monster. It closes in, and explodes at close range dealing heavy damage, however there's some twists: this monster only explodes in melee range, only targets the player, and it takes out the weapon the player is carrying alongside 50% armor of any kind. Blast radius damage would be around [64-8]

This monster can be made in DECORATE using flags such as +missileevenmore, +notarget

and functions such as A_CheckRange, A_TakeFromInventory, A_JumpIfCloser,

In ZScript something more interesting will be possible due to it's flexibility in comparison to DECORATE; like this suicide monster randomly chooses which weapon to take away upon death, avoids monsters' line of sight to avoid being hit, changes course while it's attacking to collide with the palyer if they dodged, and so on.

Any enemies that would drop weapons not already in the game such as shotgunners/chaingunners (ex.chainsaw zombie like in Doom 3, a Maurauder type enemy with a super shotgun, etc.).

Something akin to trites that can climb walls and ceilings to get to you (don't know if the game can tell a sky from a ceiling apart). Very weak health and damage but fairly fast and used in larger numbers.

An enemy akin to the Whiplash who aims to move to one of your sides instead of in front of you.

a super shotgunner. 

a fast moving chainsaw wielding melee type.

a super weak half dead human. (mainly just to add backstory to whatever environment you're in)

a possessed scientist that uses the plasma gun (and a variation that uses the BFG)

Once I did create a new monster for Doom, but rather than typical monsters, I wanted it to be a boss. A different boss than those giant Spider Mastermind or Cyberdemon that are just big and destructive, something much smaller and faster, and also that could be some sort of rival for Doomguy, like the Marauder from Doom Eternal.

So I used the Phobos skin that often came with Skulltag and edited the plasma rifle projectiles sprites to turn them red, as if they were an enhanced plasma rifle version.

It was pretty deadly I must say, but I think it would be reasonable to place him in a map filled with pillars so you can hide at least from your impending death for a little bit and take a chance on blowing him with a SSG shot.