Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
StarSpun5000

What is your favorite texture from classic doom?

This one and its ilk:

image.png.1ddc0753bea9028f79f00592b8b315d7.png

Its OG usage gave Hell something more than just the fire and brimstone vibe, which I like.

Can't make a map without liquids nowadays but if we're speaking wall-textures then I'll go with GSTONE (and its marble cousins).

5 minutes ago, Nootrac4571 said:

These two from Doom 1:

skintex.png.5bafa6bb70543d0d35964be0b934b0fb.png

They're so good - it's a tragedy that they're missing from Doom 2's texture set.

Seconded.

On 9/25/2022 at 2:06 PM, AdNauseam said:

As FIRBLU was already mentioned, I'll share my number two:

Although I never use it and I see it seldom used I really like this one:

this. iirc i first saw it on e3m3. i stopped and looked at it for minutes, being so amazed by these tortured souls in hell or what they're supposed to be. keep in mind that doom's graphics offered a never seen quality and immersion back then.

also, i'm a fan of all those skintech textures, as they're examples of doom being a nasty fusion of demonic and cybernetic stuff.

On 9/25/2022 at 2:17 PM, Stupid Bunny said:

I give PLANET1 the love Doom II never did and have been almost since I started mapping

I never leave home without it

(My standby answer is FIREBLU but nobody ever talks about PLANET1 and how pretty and cool it is)

PLANET1 is absolutely wonderful, I started using SLADE to add the screens to different background textures so I can implement it in even more situations.

Off the cuff I'd say FIREBLU since it seems like a visual metaphor for hell's bizarre other-worldliness, but there are other favorites.

creat1.png.d299dfe28368b796cead25bdc6d05f62.png

The texture whose presence requires no explanation no matter the surroundings.

this flat looks good with just about any texture, and tiles beautifully around any shape. not the most eye catching but very versatile

MFLR8_2.png

BLOODSEA.WAD from the Master levels really endeared me to the wooden textures with the ribbons

unknown.png

I also love the versatility of FLAT22 - it can be a light, a teleporter, a damaging sector like in E2M2; the possibilities are endless!

unknown.png