Entertainment Weekly - May 9th, 2003

pg: 39

----------------------------

The 100 Greatest Video Games

----------------------------
<The Legend of Zelda : A Link to the past>

<DOOM>

#2 on the list.

"Doom did for video games what Toy Story did for animated films: Both introduced 3-D technology that forever changed their respective media. Along with the predecessor Wolf 3-D, Doom's first-person perspective pushed games a step closer to virtual reality: Players weren't just role-playing; they were the main character. Doom's violent lay may have stirred controversy, but it also marked the beginning of a horror-filled---and lucrative--genre."

#3.Tetris
#4.Grand Theft Auto III
#5.Madden 2003
#6.Half-Life
#7.The Sims
#8.Super Mario 64
#9.Starcraft/warcraft
#10.Street Fighter II
#11.Goldeneye 007
#12.Final Fantasy VII
#13.Gran Turismo GT
#14.Tony Hawk's Pro Skater

and the list goes on to 100...

(note: the following has been quoted from Entertainment Weekly)

--------------------------------

Good, Doom got some media attension and the recognition it deserves.

Goat said:

what was numero uno?

MagnuM said:

<The Legend of Zelda : A Link to the past>

read dumbass

Isle said:

read dumbass

Actually i went back and edited after he asked. Heh sorry for the inconvenience.

#1.The Legend of Zelda : A Link to the past (maybe not #1 but good choice)
#2.Doom (^)
#3.Tetris (good but definately not #3)
#4.Grand Theft Auto III (no freaking way, it's just an amusing screw-around game)
#5.Madden 2003 (*spew* generic boring shit)
#6.Half-Life (I still don't see what the big deal is, definately not #6)
#7.The Sims (*vomit* I Don't even think this qualifies as a game)
#8.Super Mario 64 (hell no)
#9.Starcraft/warcraft (respectable but those are different games and which Warcraft? And I'll take C&C, Red Alert 1, or Tiberian Sun over them.)
#10.Street Fighter II (I guess)
#11.Goldeneye 007 (hell no, but no offense to people making excellent Doom TC's)
#12.Final Fantasy VII (freaking hell no)
#13.Gran Turismo GT (generic shit and pathetic suckers: Yay real car models except the companies won't let us show damage on them!)
#14.Tony Hawk's Pro Skater (very good but definately not the #14 game of all time)

It's insulting how more mainstream general news picks up on video games and thinks they know Jack shit.

Isle said:

read dumbass

:( yeah it was edited how could someone fucking miss a whole post and then post a question about it

It's good to know that there are some intelligent people out there that give credit where it is due. Doom is the best.

I think Tony Hawk should have been higher, 3 maybe. Oh and DooM ownz all.

I can't see why they put FF7 and not FF6. Granted, I never played much FF7, but I can't see how they could make a Final Fantasy game better than FF6.

Coopersville said:

Yup. That list is pretty accurate, I guess.

Indeed it is!

Uh, considering how retarded most of those first 10 are (MADDEN 2003 is one of the best games of all time? MADDEN FUCKING 2003?!), I won't bother reading the list.

But at least Zelda and Doom were in the first two.

Any "best of all time" list is a crock of publicity-mongering shit that isn't worth the electrons it's transmitted with.

Especially when (how dare they) DOOM appears at the humble position of #2.

IMO, Doom's rightful place IS number 2, I mean, come on, it isn't the best game in the entire damn world, but it isn't a piece of shit either. Console games suck because you can't modify them, they stay the same no matter what, making their replay value = 0, most of the time anyway.

Where are Super Mario Bros 3, Super Metroid and Ocarina of Time? I hereby declare that list bullshit!

Oh btw, a swedish game magazine recently did a top 100 list. Doom didn't make the list, however Quake, Quake 2, Quake 3 and Baku-Baku Animal made it. Half-Life made #8, Halo #5. Other than that a good list.

I agree that Mario 3, well, ought to be considered the best side-scroller of all time. Zelda 5 should also be on the list, it's every bit as good at Link To The Past.

Mario 64 is a great, great game. Don't kick it. Maybe a teensy bit short, but despite it being a bit plain-looking, it's very well made with a great atmosphere.

Half-Life, as I'm sure many of you know... I also just don't see what the big deal is. Just another mainstream FPS. But I've only played the actual single-player game, no mods or multiplayer...

Doom... Well, how do you separate it from Doom 2, Heretic, and Hexen? They're all basically part of the same game around these parts. I believe it was the revolutionary editing ability that made it special.

The Sims... Yeah, it's just too "manufactured." They mindlessly pump out addons without putting any creativity or love into it.

Goldeneye, it deserves its spot. Seeping originality.

AndrewB said:

Doom... Well, how do you separate it from Doom 2, Heretic, and Hexen? They're all basically part of the same game around these parts. I believe it was the revolutionary editing ability that made it special.

Doom has nothing to do with the Heretic/Hexen games except for the engine.

Another game that IMO should be in every top 25 is Banjo-Kazooie. It's not original, but unchallengedly atmospheric and fun to play.

And yeah, both Super Mario 64 and Goldeneye are outstanding games.

Regarding SMB3, hmm, my personal opinion is that Super Mario World is a better game, but by an insignificant margin.

those lists are so full of shit it's unbelievable. i knew it was full of shit when i started seeing Madden and Gran Turismo. i'm gonna buy that magazine and see how pissed off some of their selections make me.