Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
EsH

mp3 of Carmack interview?

Hi everyone. Gamespot did what sounds like a pretty in-depth interview with John Carmack, concerning the new engine. I'm sure most of you know about this already, though, and I was wondering if any one could point me in the direction of a fully downloadable mp3 version of it. I don't care about the visual portion, though it's welcome if it's there. You see, I'm still stuck in the dark ages of 56K, and streaming video just doesn't get along with my computer. It looks like Carmack goes into some interesting bits about how the rendering passes are put together, among other things, and I'd be very greatful if anyone could point out a version that I could just download and listen to from my hardrive. Thanks!

-- Esh

SOMEBODY DOES NOT READ THE DW NEWS!!
/smacks esh with a 2by4 then pulls out a rubber duckie and plugs the SOB.
/me then spends the rest of the hanging him on a rusty meat hook by this left testicle.

I don't understand-- I've been watching the DoomWorld news for a long time, but I haven't seen anything! I know the QuakeCon speech was all but given up, but I haven't heard anything about the interview, other than that it was posted on GameSpot.

Esh - Go to the following link and download asfrecorder:

http://www.lemuria.org/mirrors/asfrecorder/

After your download is complete, run the program, paste the following url's and the download will start automatically!:

mms://216.136.206.146/gamespot400/gslive/300k/carmackinterview_1.asf

mms://216.136.206.168/gamespot400/gslive/300k/carmackinterview_2.asf

mms://216.136.156.145/gamespot400/gslive/300k/carmackinterview_3.asf

mms://216.136.156.148/gamespot400/gslive/300k/carmackinterview_4.asf

Enjoy!

I have an MP3 of the entire interview at

http://lordflathead.doomcenter.com\gamespot_qcon2k1.mp3

For some reason this damn UBB code won't work, so just paste that into your browser. Oh, it's about 8Mb.

The quality's decent, I guess - though there are a few clicks and irregularities in places, especially in the beginning of the interview. Have fun, Carmack lovers around the world.

The errors are because my otherwise speedy connection seemed to choke a bit on the 100k ASF sometimes.

The "uumgghhh" is apparently the typical mating call of male Carmacks. This would also explain why the interviewer's corpse was never found.

Hi Dima. ASF recorder is a great tool, isn't it? But I have had some trouble with it in the past, due primarily to my own ignorance about the asf media format. I had used it to download some a different interview from a past quakecon, but when I played it back (thru MediaPlayer 6.4), it came out almost as jerky as if I had just streamed it. I sort of thought that Media Player 7 or 8 might play it better, but my computer really sort of choked on that player in the past, and it was usually more trouble than it was worth. None of the other players that I could find played the asf properly. But at your advice, I gave it another try, and this time actually read the readme file, and noticed at the very bottom that WinAmp could play asf files.

Anyway, all that is just incase any other silly newbies like myself hadn't known that WinAmp could play Microsoft asf files, and to say thankyou. I haven't gotton the new interview yet, but I'm finallly able to play the old ones!

Anyway, a big thankyou to Lord Flat head-- I'm downloading the mp3 now. I guess streaming is wonderful to the bandwidth elite, but nothing beats a harddrive stored mp3 on my machine. I can't wait to hear this!