Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
uwfan

newbie type question:

HI,

well i just got into all this, now i noticed in zdoom you can JUMP , but of course in doom/doom2 you can not jump.

My question is if i am playing a wad/megawad eg memento Mori for example, have these maps been built so you can complete them without the need to Jump?

Because i just like using the original game rather than zdoom.

Also how would i know for other wads if they can be completed without using JUMP?

thanx

You are allowed to jump in most source-port only wads, unless otherwise told in the text. In vanillia wads such as MM, jumping is considered cheating.

Yes... which is why, to make it clear, you should suggest in your txt that jumping be turned OFF if a source port is used. That's what I'm going to do, anyway.

netnomad312 said:

Yes... which is why, to make it clear, you should suggest in your txt that jumping be turned OFF if a source port is used. That's what I'm going to do, anyway.

I never understand that... Is there a real need to turn jumping off? Or the dude is so tempted to use it that he can´t avoid it? At least that never happens to me. I only use jumping when the txt file says it is allowed to do.

Oh and BTW, I guess that thread belongs to the Questions forum. :p

Cacodreams said:

I never understand that... Is there a real need to turn jumping off? Or the dude is so tempted to use it that he can´t avoid it? At least that never happens to me. I only use jumping when the txt file says it is allowed to do.

Oh and BTW, I guess that thread belongs to the Questions forum. :p

because all the old megawads or megawads for doom2.exe has a problem with jumping, because some of them maybe use platform theere is 32units high, which you can jump up on, and then get maybe blue key. But I think it is up to the player himself, if he want to cheat or what. But I call it cheating.

I think the point was why disable jumping instead of simply not pressing the jump button? No need to actually disable it unless you cannot control your urge to press jump.

One of the only "cheaty" things I use the jump feature for is to take less damage from hurting floors by jumping across them instead of walking.

Jumping over obstacles not meant to be negotiated in that fashion can seriously fuck up level progression making the level much less fulfilling.

Enjay said:

I think the point was why disable jumping instead of simply not pressing the jump button? No need to actually disable it unless you cannot control your urge to press jump.

Yep! Exactly what I meant.

Oh, BTW Enjay, welcome back!

Epyo said:

You are allowed to jump in most source-port only wads, unless otherwise told in the text.

I don't think that is quite right, since many wads are source-port only solely for the purpose of removing limits or using Boom features (Boom did not allow jumping, BTW) or using certain features such as scripting, slopes, etc.

My view is that unless a wad's textfile specifically says that jumping is required, then it should be assumed that you should not jump when playing it. [Including when crossing damaging floors, which the author may well have carefully calculated to take a certain amount off your health to get the gameplay balance just right ;) ]

Usually if you need to jump it's obvious. Like in TNT2, you can't even get out of the starting area without jumping, which is a good way to tell the player "jump," because many people don't read text files.

So far ZooM (for ZDoom) doesn't REQUIRE jumping but it begs for it, because some areas are hard to navigate without it.

I imagine unless the mod is made for ZDoom, Legacy, etc, it doesn't want you to jump. If someone made a level for ZDoom and used slopes, scripts, and Boom effects, they'd be silly to not think the player would jump.

uwfan said:

well i just got into all this, now i noticed in zdoom you can JUMP , but of course in doom/doom2 you can not jump.

My question is if i am playing a wad/megawad eg memento Mori for example, have these maps been built so you can complete them without the need to Jump?

Because i just like using the original game rather than zdoom.

<...>

Well, then use the original execs =). Unless you're running WinXP, I don't see why you shouldn't.
Or else, use prBoom. The closest thing to the real thing with no jumping and other Quake bs.