Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Nightmare2989

what weapon would you chose to put in doom if you were the creator of doom back in 93

Either the Unmaker and/or the Dark Claw. Big fan of exotic/alien/demonic weapons, even if they're gimmicky and ineffective from the standpoint of a minmaxer. The unmaker could have an added bonus of leeching health from monsters and the dark claw could shoot seekers/tracers.

I'd say a grenade launcher, as it seems that almost every weapon in Doom has or will have a counterpart. Two bullet weapons, two shotguns, three energy weapons, a rocket launcher, but no grenade launcher until Doom 2016 and Eternal came out. But alternatively, replacing the pistol with something akin to Blood's flare gun would have made it more useful while being somewhat less powerful than what you'd upgrade to.

A magnum 44. that's more powerful than the shotgun but weaker than the SSG, slower rate of fire than the pistol and it's always accurate, when picked up it will supersede the pistol in a similar way the chainsaw "replaces" the fist.

23 hours ago, Nightmare2989 said:

So, i though i start a topic asking everyone what weapon would of you put into doom if you were the creator of it back in 1993 so ignore what guns we got now in doom and just add them ones you would have put in if you were Mr Romero or Mr Carmack 

a demon SPAZ12

Something similar to the flare gun from Blood, where you tag an enemy with a projectile that detonates some time later. Perhaps it could have unlimited ammo, but only a few projectiles active at any moment. It could replace the pistol. It would add a bit of strategy.

Considering I think that Doom has a fairly perfect amount of weapons already, I would prefer to either improve one in some way or replace it, in which case, it would be the Pistol.

If I were to simply improve the pistol, making it more usable is pretty much mandatory. It should be able to be a reliable backup weapon, something that's not too strong but also doesn't feel gross to use, like it does in normally in Doom. Making it more damaging I don't think is the right call, so instead, I'd make it more accurate and fire faster. Simply make it more fun to use, especially in pistol starts.

If I were to go the route of replacing it, I think I would actually take something from the in-development version of Doom and/or BD and replace it with a rifle. Something good that you can always fall back on, especially if you wanted to snipe enemies from a distance. I don't think I'd make it automatic, just semi-auto, to balance it out a little bit. 

The railgun from Skulltag, I feel, would have made itself right at home with the rest of the roster had it been released back in the day. There'd be tweaks to it, of course -- maybe not as many particle effects or as long a range as what we have, but just having a weapon that can simply slice through lower tier enemies and take down the tougher baddies in a few more hits whilst being more precise in its aim would have been absolutely game-changing back then, I'd wager it'd definitely change the multiplayer scene

Or alternatively imagine if there were turrets in the base game you could climb up to and use on enemies with a semi steady stream of fire... That would also be pretty cool to work with.

A Tesla gun: Basically stuns the enemy to it's pain state with a field of electric shocks ala Chainsaw, except being a ranged weapon.

The downside would be that it consumes ammo very fast with not very high damage, and it would only target one enemy at a time.

On 9/27/2022 at 1:59 PM, Sesamia said:

Probably this thing:

widowmaker.gif

Now this looks like one heck of a chaingun!

On 9/27/2022 at 1:59 PM, Sesamia said:

Probably this thing:

widowmaker.gif

I wish someone did a Doom 64  chaingun deh

Grenade/grenade launcher is really the only niche that feels notably absent in the arsenal. For those situations when you want to do lots of explosive splash damage to groups from an elevated position, but the rocket launcher is just too risky with the auto aim and you risk just hitting the edge of the floor and hurting yourself. A bouncy projectile alleviates that risk (and also being able to bounce around corners)

On 9/27/2022 at 12:46 PM, Senor Cacodemon said:

I would go back and add a type of grenade launcher, think about the quake rocket launcher. A weapon that has projectiles that tumble is something that would be super cool in doom.

This is probably the best answer, since it would actually mix up the gameplay pretty good. You could bounce grenades around corners and things like that.

I will say that I've never been a big fan of the Quake grenade launcher because it takes too long for the pipes to detonate if you don't land a direct hit, making it pretty much inferior to the rocket launcher in head on situations. I would rather see one like GoldenEye where it bounces off walls but detonates on contact with the floor.

I would keep the same guns but replace the pistol with a revolver. Give it reasonably high damage to take out fodder in potentially one bullet.

If possible to program, make it the only gun that needs to reload. Let the players cheat this by simply cycling to a different weapon and back to pistol. Some players exploit the one shot chain gun sniper so why not let the pros come up with another loop hole.

Edited by Chezza

Going by the fact that most of Doom's weaponry has a tier 1 and tier 2 version: Probably an upgrade to the pistol so we have a precision weapon that is useful, seperate pistol and chaingun ammo to accomodate said pistol, and a second bullet weapon to pair with the chaingun. Chainsaw can simply get the two blade version from Doom 64 for double the DPS, and rockets just get the aforementioned Grenade launcher, or revenant style homing rockets at the cost of increased rocket usage. That way everything has two tiers, if you count the plasma rifle and BFG as tier 1 and tier 2. If not, then the Unmaker from Doom 64 is pretty much a better plasma rifle, leaving the BFG alone in its own tier (with its own ammo ideally. 10/20 shots seems fair?)