Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Bloodshedder

GameSpot Doom III Preview

GameSpot has posted their own Doom III Preview, which centers around an interview with the game's lead designer Tim Willits. This particular preview does not carry a mere regurgitation of known information like so many have before it; for example, here Willits comments on the multiplayer aspect:

Doom III multiplayer is incredibly intense, and the light and shadows play a much bigger role in the gameplay. Never before in a multiplayer game have players had to worry about their shadow and whether or not it has revealed their position, or been able to shoot out lights so they can hide in the darkness. This alone adds a level of reality, depth, and atmosphere that is again going to redefine expectations about how a multiplayer game should look and feel.

There's quite a bit more interesting information, including a new screenshot, so go read it already. Thanks to Opulent for pointing this out to us.

Cool to see multiplayer isn't going to be left out. Nice zombie pic.

All the more reason to get excited.

Doom Dude said:

Cool interview but I didn't see the screenshot. Twas just a red X.

Check for anything related to Gamespot in your hosts file. Kazaa Lite, for instance, blocks it in there since Gamespot's image server is the same as their ad server.

The zombie with the chainsaw looks lethal. Take a look at the chainsaw itself -- even the rivets on the blade are shadowed. Awesome!

"Never before in a multiplayer game have players had to worry about their shadow and whether or not it has revealed their position, or been able to shoot out lights so they can hide in the darkness"
bullshit, thats been done before. marketing marketing marketing...what doom3 is all about.

Killes said:

marketing marketing marketing...what doom3 is all about.

uhh... is that why they're doing minimal marketing and maximum development?

Killes said:

"Never before in a multiplayer game have players had to worry about their shadow and whether or not it has revealed their position, or been able to shoot out lights so they can hide in the darkness"
bullshit, thats been done before. marketing marketing marketing...what doom3 is all about.

Name one game, just *one* game where shadows play as much of a role as it apparently does in Doom 3 and I might be able to take you serious.

Ahh Doomworld, the place where you get to meet all kinds of funny people - people who don't make sense for instance :-P

Well, I did get this e-mail...

The lights being blown out is wrong; the first game that that -really- counted for was AvP. I remember on the FOundry level taking out lights and hiding on the cieling, waiting for a marine to pop his head in ;)

dsm said:

Name one game, just *one* game where shadows play as much of a role as it apparently does in Doom 3 and I might be able to take you serious.

Thief.

Well, the thing about blowing out light and shadows playing a tactical role is not new.

The other statement about Doom 3 being nothing but marketing is wrong, however. I do believe Doom 3 is being hyped a bit more that it can handle. But I don't know whether this is entirely id's fault.

dsm said:

Splinter Cell. But then again it probly doesn't matter cause that game aint anywhere near as scary and intense as Doom 3 is gonna be and that's as close as any game is gonna get right now.

Little Faith said:

Well, the thing about blowing out light and shadows playing a tactical role is not new.

The other statement about Doom 3 being nothing but marketing is wrong, however. I do believe Doom 3 is being hyped a bit more that it can handle. But I don't know whether this is entirely id's fault.

what?
What hype? I've only seen a dozen, or so, interviews, a Video and some screenshots. It's not like you see Doom III posters on every street corner.

ravage knows, thief is the game where shadows play a major part of the game.

dsm said:

Ahh Doomworld, the place where you get to meet all kinds of funny people - people who don't make sense for instance :-P

Heh, you got clamped.

Caco said:

ravage knows, thief is the game where shadows play a major part of the game.

I never played the game and I know it. :P

Dude that zombie looks like something that probably render me screaming and hiding behind a door or something.
I think this game is kick some serious butt to bad about the railgun not being in it though.
the Bfg was confirmed right ?
just checking.

Meow.

Nocturnal_poet said:

Dude that zombie looks like something that probably render me screaming and hiding behind a door or something.
I think this game is kick some serious butt to bad about the railgun not being in it though.
the Bfg was confirmed right ?
just checking.

Meow.

No railgun because it's not part of the Quake series. The BFG is a definite MUST.

Shaviro said:

what?
What hype? I've only seen a dozen, or so, interviews, a Video and some screenshots. It's not like you see Doom III posters on every street corner.

Skip the drama. It's over hyped. Cope.

I think they've shown too much already. I've not gone reading much about the game / looked at many screenshots... yet I now feel on the verge of seeing too much of this game prior to playing it. Guess I just want to play it now and see things for myself. :)

I am curious about how the multi-player aspect will pan out. It seems the game is going to be a slow-paced, methodical game, rather than the balls-out Doom game we all know and love. I could see a team based game being rather slow and strategic; a slow DM game on the other hand does not sound very appealing.

Lengis said:

Please tell my why you think it's overhyped.

It's definetely hyped, although I think it has very good reason to be hyped. But, even if it is 'overhyped' it's through no fault of Id's, they've been pretty sparce with new info for the most part, most of the interviews are rehashes of what's been done, and most screenshots are either static environments or a single enemy. But damn...that chainsaw zombie looks pretty damn awesome.

Lengis said:

Ohhh, it's Lengis who says that Doom 3 is overhyped!!! Then it must be the truth. Screw the fact that he can't provide any evidence or examples that it's overhyped, because it's "Teh God Lengis" who says that Doom 3 is overhyped and his word is the Eternal Truth.

Bow down before the God of Wisdom Lengis and embrace the unfathomable facts that come from his sacred hand of 1337 keyboard writing!!!

dsm said:

Ohhh, it's Lengis who says that Doom 3 is overhyped!!! Then it must be the truth. Screw the fact that he can't provide any evidence or examples that it's overhyped, because it's "Teh God Lengis" who says that Doom 3 is overhyped and his word is the Eternal Truth.

Care to explain why does his comment seem so reliable to you?

Man, I can't take all this stupidity. If you actually READ DSM'S STATEMENT, you would realize he was being completely sarcastic. My god, get some common sense.

Ralphis said:

If you actually READ DSM'S STATEMENT, you would realize he was being completely sarcastic.

"Oh, a SARCASM detector! That's REAL useful!"