Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
PureSlime

Most recent movie you saw

I watched The Shawshank Redemption today. I love seeing a movie that lasts almost two hours and a half, yet it feels like less time when you're seeing it. Great film.

@MrFroz Oh yeah, definitely! My only issue with it is the "Sisters" subplot: in addition to being quite homophobic and mean-spirited, that part feels really gratuitous to me, especially in a movie whose core premise is to highlight the humanity of prisoners. Luckily, it is resolved rather quickly and is not brought up again (except maybe for one line from the Warden later on), so I can see someone editing it out of the movie altogether.

I am currently going through Frank Darabont's filmography, back in 2015 I saw his adaptation of The Mist and the year before that one the first season of The Walking Dead TV series, and recently I watched The Mist once more and still really liked it so I decided to go through all of this director's work.

In the past two days I have seen The Fly II and The Blob, and I enjoyed both. I can tell how The Blob inspired certain elements of Resident Evil 2 and Resident Evil 3: Nemesis.

Edited by MrFroz

Saw The Thin Red Line. Felt very meandering, the main characters felt so lacking in personality and screen presence that they would be minor supporting characters in anything else, and even if it was admittedly very good looking, I just did not care for it.

1 hour ago, Sena said:

Saw The Thin Red Line. Felt very meandering, the main characters felt so lacking in personality and screen presence that they would be minor supporting characters in anything else, and even if it was admittedly very good looking, I just did not care for it.

That is Terrence Malick for you! If you did not like that movie, then I recommend staying away from the rest of his filmography.

I finished watching The Dark Knight trilogy a few days ago. My favorite was The Dark Knight but I also felt that seeing Batman Begins first was important to enjoy it to its fullest. Then The Dark Knight Rises I didn't like as much as either but I did however like the way it wrapped up. 

Watched the original Mad Max movie. I had always wanted to see it. It's a very interesting concept, but the film felt a bit hard to follow story wise. I was also confused in a world like that why very few people had guns xD Even so, I still fairly enjoyed it despite how oddly put together it was. That would be a scary world to live in. Gonna watch the second one later, that one looks really really cool!

9 minutes ago, Rudolph said:

@Kokoro Hane The best one is Fury Road, hands down.

Fury Road kicked ass but Mad Max 2 The Road Warrior is my personal favourite.

I always liked the setting of the first two Mad Maxes and consider them as sibling movies. Mad Max 3 was too different and it took the series into nuclear post apocalyptic setting, it's the worst Mad Max but still watchable. Mad Max 4 the action was good but I didn't like how they rebooted the lore and turned Max into just .. Max while in the original trilogy he had atleast some backstory and character.

38 minutes ago, Sonikkumania said:

I didn't like how they rebooted the lore and turned Max into just .. Max while in the original trilogy he had at least some backstory and character.

Every Mad Max sequel reboots the lore and Max for that matter, though.

Mad Max's Mad Max is a vigilante cop whereas Road Warrior's Mad Max is a lone survivor in post-apocalyptic Australia and Beyond Thunderdome's Mad Max is a desert drifter, so it makes sense that Fury Road's Mad Max would be a different character too.

3 minutes ago, Rudolph said:

Every Mad Max sequel reboots the lore and Max for that matter, though.

Gonna have to put my reply in spoiler tag because spoilers:

Spoiler

Actually they don't, Mad Max 2 has that opening narration which literally uses Max Max 1 stock footage and recalls the story which occured in the 1st movie. The character Max also has the same car (The last of the V8 Interceptors) and wears a kneecap due to gunshot injury in the 1st movie. There's also a scene of dialogue where they reference how Max lost his family due to biker gang.

Mad Max 3 also has a line where Max literally says "I was a cop, a driver" - which is a reference to his career in Mad Max 1.

Out of all 4 movies, Fury Road is the most definate instalment one would call a reboot.

The titular protagonists in all the movies do share a similar backstory, but they still differ as characters - probably on purpose, as to make him into some sort of mythical character whose feats are conveyed through oral tradition as a nod to folk tales of ole. That is why there is not much continuity between the sequels: Mad Max comes out of nowhere, gets involved in a local conflict, helps resolve it and then wanders off into the desert.

‘All Hallows Eve’ 

Pretty brutal horror movie. It’s quite old school, worth checking out.

I’m now looking forward to watching ‘Terrifier’ which apparently is more from Art the clown. 

30 minutes ago, Rudolph said:

The titular protagonists in all the movies do share a similar backstory, but they still differ as characters - probably on purpose, as to make him into some sort of mythical character whose feats are conveyed through oral tradition as a nod to folk tales of ole. That is why there is not much continuity between the sequels: Mad Max comes out of nowhere, gets involved in a local conflict, helps resolve it and then wanders off into the desert.

There is one aspect of continuinety which is the evolving of the character. In the 1st movie he becomes mad like the world around him, and the 2nd movie he starts off like that but in the end becomes more human again.

There was also an intentional plan to feature a character from the 1st film as a plot twist but this idea got scrapped later on.

Then Max Max 3 is more like "Disney's Mad Max".

8 minutes ago, Rudolph said:

So in other words, Mad Max is whatever the story needs him to be.

I mean I guess so since the 4th movie ended up being a reboot

Before that it was obvious in the fanbase that the og trilogy took place in same lore.

10 hours ago, Kokoro Hane said:

Watched the original Mad Max movie. I had always wanted to see it.

I have been meaning to see it ever since I saw this bit from the Simpsons:

A few days ago I saw 10 Things I Hate About You, because I'm currently exploring Heath Ledger's acting career from beginning to end. I'm seeing The Patriot right now, but I haven't finished it yet (long movie).

The Dreaming. A cult Australian horror movie you may have heard of that gets quite scary toward the end.

@LadyMistDragon I might watch this. Recently I was on a found footage film binge and watched Lake Mungo and The Tunnel, both excellent horror Australian movies.

Edited by MrFroz

Just got back from watching Bullet Train. High recommendation in need of arcadish action movie.

Edited by Sonikkumania

13 hours ago, Sonikkumania said:

Just got back from watching Bullet Train. High recommendation in need of arcadish action movie.

The day after I just realized what seemed so damn familiar about two film's characters:

Spoiler

The hired guns Lemonade and Tangerine and their dialogue are just like

pulp-fiction-jules-and-vincent.png

I am about to watch classic Soviet movie Alexander Nevsky. It is currently available on Tubi.tv for free, in case you are interested.

Edited by Rudolph

I watched Se7en, starring Brad Pitt and Morgan Freeman. Maybe it's starring Morgan Freeman and Brad Pitt, you decide. I guess it also starred Gwyneth Paltrow, but well, anyway, not to spoil that part of the movie. Kevin Spacey shows up, if you like that sort of thing.
 Se7en seems like your regular cop movie, but things get weird. You don't really notice when or how, you just notice like a psychological spoil _somewhere_. It's actually kind of messed up how the mind of the killer gets mixed up in the plot of the cops. If you've never been blackmailed before, you might not notice parts of the psychological thrill, but then the dark underbelly of the beast shows, and it looks like something uncomfortable for all involved. Like the psyche of man is a playground at midnight or something.
 Se7en is a movie from the late 1990's and it looks like one. The art is really good, and the music is very hip to that period of time. Industrial music and gritty-cold rainy days. The direction is fast paced and The gore is just gross; sick man, sick. You twisted fu*|< ;-) Wipe that smile off your face!
 It's a lot of fun. Watch it!

3 hours ago, Billy Baron said:

I watched Se7en, starring Brad Pitt and Morgan Freeman. Maybe it's starring Morgan Freeman and Brad Pitt, you decide. I guess it also starred Gwyneth Paltrow, but well, anyway, not to spoil that part of the movie. Kevin Spacey shows up, if you like that sort of thing.
 Se7en seems like your regular cop movie, but things get weird. You don't really notice when or how, you just notice like a psychological spoil _somewhere_. It's actually kind of messed up how the mind of the killer gets mixed up in the plot of the cops. If you've never been blackmailed before, you might not notice parts of the psychological thrill, but then the dark underbelly of the beast shows, and it looks like something uncomfortable for all involved. Like the psyche of man is a playground at midnight or something.
 Se7en is a movie from the late 1990's and it looks like one. The art is really good, and the music is very hip to that period of time. Industrial music and gritty-cold rainy days. The direction is fast paced and The gore is just gross; sick man, sick. You twisted fu*|< ;-) Wipe that smile off your face!
 It's a lot of fun. Watch it!

Blood has a secret room that references it:

2524394088_preview_062.jpg.41789569ca0d6431a96cc285593076ef.jpg

The King of Kong (2007)
or:
Lead Poisoning And Its Consequences Have Been A Disaster For Most Earth-Bound Lifeforms

i had to watch this again

toxicity in competitive video game play? it's as likely as you think! billy mitchell doesn't even touch a fucking donkey kong cabinet once here, not even the wood enclosure! i'm pretty sure he paid someone to record that fake mame tape too, it's absolutely bonkers. the whole twin galaxies gang is/was bonkers, even without the knowledge that we have gained in recent years. walter day looks like he hasn't slept at all since 1982. And along comes the one who was a basketball, being as earnest as possible, having to deal with the circus revolving around someone's 20 year old (at the time of filming) high score, a moment for billy mitchell that went on to define his entire personality to this very day. absolutely asinine. "can we get todd on the phone?"