Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Origamyde

[v1.1] Thermal Burnout - A map part of another megawad project

Oh god, music so good. Also, here's a FDA. Recorded on complevel 9. Honestly, doesn't seem to have quite as biting difficulty, though it certainly becomes harder later on (really shouldn't have tussled with a Revenant, we all roll the dice with that)

lmd_tb.zip

Edited by LadyMistDragon

@Biodegradable yes, that button was indeed for that lil' rocket closet at the easternmost part of the map (also btw, it's Eris Falling's Stardust song playing for the entirety of the map, not Jimmy lmao) ;)

@LadyMistDragon sorry to be a bother, but it seems you forgot to upload the FDA for Thermal Burnout 😔

Otherwise, thanks enough for giving this WAD of mine a try. I'm really happy with how it turned out, and you can at least expect some of that same quality for the rest of Oripathy II 😉

7 hours ago, Origamyde said:

(also btw, it's Eris Falling's Stardust song playing for the entirety of the map, not Jimmy lmao) ;)

Eris was my other choice, so I was close!

This was fun. Cool layout, I like how it all loops back on itself. I kept expecting it to get a bit harder. It's very hitscanner heavy, with a few tougher encounters sprinkled about. I was going to go and look for secrets at the end, but I'd already been playing for nearly half an hour, and the map is so large I didn't really know where to start. I did a full circuit around at the end, but only stumbled into one secret pretty much by accident. Here's my FDA. Couple of dicey moments, but made it through.

Had a chance to run thru this one.

This map packs in an incredible amount of detail and offers a casual but peppy pacing to the combat. I'd love to take a map like this and give it more exploratory elements so it's less marching through a sequence of areas and more turning over the environment to find paths or where to go next; you have such a great eye for setting and theme the area just begs for you to get lost in it. This map kind of brings you along for the show in contrast, but that's not to say this aspect is a bad thing. This map is interesting, exciting, and makes good use of your time despite the fairly high kill count. I remember playing World Corp and thinking you showed a ton of potential then, this is just further proof you are a mapper with a good head on your shoulders.

@LVENdead Thank you so much for curating my content since I first released WorldCorp, I'm really touched you remembered this lil' level of mine and made astute comparisons with Thermal Burnout :O

I do agree with most of the advices you've brought up with your video concerning making more arena-like sectors and visual differentiation, and while this might prove a bit hard to do because of how stuff is done there and how few space remains, It's certainly worth a try.

Again, thank you for giving it a try !

Forgot to mention it, but I've updated the map to 1.1. There is a changelog that tells you what changes and additions were made here, so have fun again ;)