Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Fredrik

Not so sad news...

I just heard some not so sad news - I were today found unable to serve military duty. Apparently my BMI (body mass index) is one tenth under the level from where they let you skip without further questions. Even if you disliked my attitude, you can't deny my contributions to the anti-war community. Truly a Swedish icon.

In other words, I'm writing this from a regiment central three hours of a bus ride from home. I only had to do one test :)

You live in the 2nd best country in the world, I live in the 3rd best. Is there a Norwegian around here?

I didn't know that one could be so lucky in that way. I think that I might also be underqualified for military duty in the same way, if I didn't live in such a safe place...

I quite frankly don't understand why even applying is obligatory, much less serving the duty if you're told to.

Sweden has some peace-preserving troops out in the world but we're hardly facing any threat. The system is obviously antiquated, as an example of this: the interpreter education is primarily targeted for Russian, a legacy of the cold war when we feared an invasion from Soviet.

Now it's just a lossy affair. I mean, they take in less than two fifths (going down!) of the batch each year after the medical and mental examinations, and I'm confident that there are more than two fifths who'd volunteer even if they didn't have to (there were in my group).

Several hours in a bus back and forth, plus staying overnight getting three hours of sleep, was a waste of time for me :P

Wow. Between me being too fat to join the Navy and Fredrik being too thin to join the Army...well I don't know what.

AndrewB said:

You live in the 2nd best country in the world

What? How can it be the 2nd best country in the world if there is (almost) compulsory military service?

A week or so ago I went to a death metal concert with a friend of mine from uni (not my choice of music but he is mad about it). The opening band was a Swedish metal band called Arise and the lead singer looked frightening similar to Fredrik. It wasn't you was it Fred?

Abolish conscription! Now! It is a blemish on the proud scandinavian nations!

The idea of a national defense is especially retarded in Denmark since the landscape make Denmark almost completely undefendable against invasion from a larger agressor (and since Denmark is so much smaller than any neighbour chances are that any attacker WILL be much larger.

In Sweden and Norway you are able to fight a mean guerrilla war, but in Denmark the only thing you can really do is to blow up our pretty bridges and spam all the straits with mines. Oh yeah, and any air force will waltz through.

It's a matter of defense that danish politicians have grown into the diplomats they are today.

If a country wanted to destroy the Netherlands it could easily do that by simply destroying the large dikes. Without those, a great part of the Netherlands would've been a huge swimmingpool.

Fredrik said:

I quite frankly don't understand why even applying is obligatory, much less serving the duty if you're told to.

Sweden has some peace-preserving troops out in the world but we're hardly facing any threat. The system is obviously antiquated, as an example of this: the interpreter education is primarily targeted for Russian, a legacy of the cold war when we feared an invasion from Soviet.

Situations might change - history has proven that several times. Denmark was occupied by Germany during WW2 as was Sweden and Norway. And just because we're in a big great alliance now doesn't exclude the possibility that we might end up being attacked one day.

And remember, it has been common in history for friends to become enemies and enemies to become friends. Ex: Denmark and Sweden used to be fierce enemies, now we're pretty much 'buddies' (although there are dumbfucks in both countries that think people in the other country suck).

And yes, mandatory service is ridiculous, but they say it's "useful to find out who is best suited for the professional army". So according to those pro-conscription nuts, mandatory service prevents that unsuited people sign a contract to serve in the prof army, because they get a chance to try out this army bullshit for a set amount of time during their mandatory service period and decide if they like it or not.

I know I hated it.

What I think is truly ridiculous is that the mandatory service period has to last so long. Three months would be more than sufficient, Hell, I figured out that I hated army service after a meagre week.