Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
A-Doomed-Marine

mods,source ports and wads?when will it end!

sorry to bother you very busy people but im having problems getting wads,sps and mods to work. I've got the collectors doom edition and a trail version of winzip thats way overexpired but still works. the only thing i got to work was Doom Legacy but only for doom II! if anyone could give me some advice on what are some good wads and such and how ta get em to work and stuff it would be greatly helpful. also i cant do any dos stuff so dont bother with dos tips. future thankx to all who respond :)

When you try to run the source ports, what do they say?

And for nice wads to play, pay attention to the top story on DW's frontpage for the /newstuff chronicles. Which reviews the newest wads every week!

Unfortunately with most ports you're gonna need a little bit of DOS to get the most out of them. It's simple really, all you're doing is writing a line or two in your msdos prompt or command prompt if you've xp. Don't worry about winzip it'll always work, I don't know anybody who's actually bought it.
However you've got Legacy working which is good. In order to make it work for Doom1, Plutonia and TNT use the 'game mode' page, there's 4 select IWad boxes, find the path to the relavent wad for each of them and you can select the one you choose on that page.
If you've installed the Collector's Doom all 4 IWads will be in that folder. I would just copy/paste the 4 wads into the Legacy folder for simplicity and set the iwad path to them.
As for wads I'd start with the classics and play Momento Mori 1&2, Requiem, Eternal, Alien Vendetta. Or go to DW home page/Classic Doom/Levels and look for some with 4/5 stars. Doom Underground is also a good place to look.

Go get yourself a GUI frontend like the one in my sig ;)

thankx for the help. and with source ports it always says im missing somthing. like with zdoom ver 22 i think or somthing i was missing something like music152 or something. and with mods do they tell you what the comand lines are? cause last time i messed around with dos my comp crashed, dad was real pissed, my ass was realy kicked. anyway thankx to all u people who take ur time to answers newbie questions like mine i really appreciate it

Zdoom 1.22 is obsolete. Get 2.0.47

Most ports follow this basic command

[exe] *-file [wad] (loads an external PWAD with the exe) *-deh (loads a dehacked or bex patch which changes the game)

*Optional