Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Marine_Eliminator

When you first met the Cyber Demon...

Well, just a few minutes ago, I took on the CyberDemon in Nightmare! to see if it was really all that difficult. Turns out if you're really careful, and you strafe a whole lot, and don't waste your ammo on the lost souls (since they respawn anyway), it's really not that bad.

I just did it, and it's actually quite easy. Just avoid the Lost Souls and when you come across the Cyberdemon, just dodge the rockets while shooting him at the same time. He's stationary when he attacks, and when he's always shooting the rockets, it makes him very easy to hit. It does help to get rid of a few Lost Souls in the immediate area, just to make dodging the rockets a little easier.

E1M8, OTOH, is anything but easy. The demons and spectres are what make it so confounded hard. They're super fast, and they chase you down and gnaw at you relentlessly. The Barons aren't all that hard. Just keep dodging and firing, dodging and firing.

The first time I met the Cyber Demon was on EP2 Final mission (sorry for not knowing the damn mission numbers) I heard the stomping, saw him, and then I died. It took me a while too beat him, but in the end I did when he had somehow got stuck behind one of those square pillars so I just stood and pumped him to death with my plasma gun.

There's only one boss that I find harder than the Cyber Demon and that is the Final Boss in Duke3D... I've never managed to beat that one... Sure, his rockets go in all sorts of directions, but if you get hit by one, you're dead...

DooMBoy said:

Well, just a few minutes ago, I took on the CyberDemon in Nightmare! to see if it was really all that difficult. Turns out if you're really careful, and you strafe a whole lot, and don't waste your ammo on the lost souls (since they respawn anyway), it's really not that bad.

hah, it is boring easy, e3m8 is way harder, but it is easy to get infight on that map. So killing the spider is piece of cake.

I think I should try e4m8 sometime on nm, would be fun, heh.

I was just blown away the first time I saw a Cyberdemon - it's still my favourite enemy design in any game to this day. I just kinda stood there looking at him, got blattered, loaded up and noclipped into the wall so I could get a better look without being killed. And then stepped out and fought him.

Problem is that nowadays, with the faster mouse turning and easier configs, if you have a moderately large amount of room the cyberdemon is piss-easy because you can circle strafe around him. The closer encounters are still really frantic though.

I don't really have a "first encounter" memory. I first "saw" a Cyberdemon
when I started mapping; I experimented with the Doom editors before I
even played very far into the game.

I think my first truly "scary" experience with a Cyberdemon was MAP10.The end hallway with the divider which is overlooked by the Cyberdemon
pit STILL gets me everytime I go down it. It's scary running for the door,
not knowing if the Cyberdemon behind you is a) shooting you and b) teleported
into the room with you.

First time i messed with him, i was a young'un, around 10, playing Plutonia32 at a friends house. I knew something insane was about to happen cause when you start out you get a backpack, every weapon, and a white sphere. Anyway, I had just wasted the two Arch-Viles in the room with the fake exit. I walked down the hall and to the right is a yellow door guarded by a cyberdemon. Well, I didn't know this at the time, and when I stepped out, it roared, so I ran back in, but never saw it. He must've woken up and then froze again cause I didn't hear the footsteps until I stepped out.

So I went back into the room with the fake exit and the giant window, and looked out and there were PEs everywhere (the motion sensor that releases them is in the hall). And I looked out the window and saw all the spiders on the ledge and that it was a good 10-15 feet down from the window. I backed up to start firing rockets at the PEs when some THING walked by the window and I could just see the top of its head... at this point I said fuck this and ran for the exit, but didn't know it was a fake exit, and I got toasted by the Arch-Viles.

I sorta got involved with Doom after I purchased the game for the old SNES system....it was a bit different from the console. On E2M8 all you really had to do was get so that you could see the cybie on the horizon, point the rocket launcher or plasma gun in his general directio, and let him have it. The SNES version did not have nearly as good AI as the PC version did, so it was fairly easy. AFTER I got Doom 95, my first "real" encounter was in Tricks and Traps. It was a good thing I wore my BROWN pants that day LOL

At first, I was like "WTF? Is that a Baron, or something?" Then it started shooting rockets. However, the Cyberdemon just doesn't seem as scary now...it's overly used, and once you've gotten the hang of it, easy to kill.

BlackFyre said:

I sorta got involved with Doom after I purchased the game for the old SNES system....it was a bit different from the console. On E2M8 all you really had to do was get so that you could see the cybie on the horizon, point the rocket launcher or plasma gun in his general directio, and let him have it. The SNES version did not have nearly as good AI as the PC version did, so it was fairly easy. AFTER I got Doom 95, my first "real" encounter was in Tricks and Traps. It was a good thing I wore my BROWN pants that day LOL

Yeah, the SNES Doom AI wasn't spectacular, but neither is the PC AI. At least the cyberdemon in the SNES version had a melee attack.

on map08 doom2. I saw it. whhhhhhhhooooooooaaaaa....!!!! Then it shoted to barons. Happy end

I haven't time to any reaction, something like rocket,blow away my head :)

The Cyberdemon is the last monster to really scare me in a game, I mean, I can really feel some adrenalin go in. That's top gameplay. I used to get it a little with the archvile if I was low on health.

pritch said:

The Cyberdemon is the last monster to really scare me in a game, I mean, I can really feel some adrenalin go in. That's top gameplay. I used to get it a little with the archvile if I was low on health.

Yeah, I feel the same way, even after playing WADs like Hell Revealed all the way through. The fact that a monster can still have that kind of effect is a real testament to what they created.

My first reaction was; to peg-it around the map, until I got enough courage to attack. I stopped and turned around.
Then I died, the bastard was behind me in an aclove, and I ran past it without noticing about twelve times.

My mum saw it first time and kicked its ass.

Personally I think the Baron is scarier then the Cyber Demon. Only because on the snes version which I first played doom my dad and I stayed up late one night trying to beat the first episode(i was like 6 or 7)and we got to E1M8 were you go up the lif and see the 2 Baron Doors. I walked up then I heard their frightning roar and saw them. The Barons scared the hell out of me! I couldnt even think, i tried to fire like twice with my shogun hoping it would kill the evil things, then i died. I must have stared at the screen for like 5mins just trying to comprehend what happened. gave me nightmares every time i played. I still get scared by Barons because of that experience. The spider mind just made me laugh. I saw him fighting a caco once, the caco got off like 25 electrofireballs before the bug killed it. it was pretty funny, not even my dreaded baron lasted that long aginst the spidermind.

I remember the first time, i Ran Up to it and then just started fireing as many rockets at him as possible... 30 seconds later he blew me up =P

doomedout said:

First time I saw him....IDDQD...

Shit scary...

Heh yeah I did that too, only I wasn't too sure of the codes back in 1994 and screwed up and died. It was teh first time I'd had full health, armor and still died from one hit. I jumped off my seat and realised it was gonna be very tough to beat him.

The Barons produced that feeling initially, but the atmosphere of Phobos Anomaly was the creepier element.

First time I saw him was in coop (map17 - my favourite Doom 2 map), so I couldn't IDDQD. Instead we both (it was a two-player serial link-up) ran away screaming, heh.

I think the first time i really saw it was with my brother playing, we where young and only had a megadrive (genesis), but my friend had a 486 with doom 2, so anyway my brother was totally obsessed and was writing his own doom stragety guide, or something, and one time he had gone round there and i hadnt, and when i looked in his guide next time i saw loads of new monsters and he was like "Oh the cyber demon is the biggest monster now, not the baron of hell, you can run between it's legs!", though for ages i thought the cyber demon would be like the bull demon, but a robot. The first time i saw it was when we found out the IDCLEV cheat, and my friend said the last level was level 30, so being arrogant little shits we immediatley tried to get to level 31, and then thought we had somehow screwed up the game and warped into the levels from wolfenstien, so then we tried IDCLEV32, and my brother walked all the way down to the end of the level going "This doesnt look like wolfen-SHIT!" and then frantically tried to remember what number the BFG was before being blown away, i was just laughing too much to think anything else about the cyber then XD.

My scariest cyber encounter was probbaly the last level of "Last day on earth", i thought it had followed me and was pointing my plasma gun at the doorway to a room waiting for it, when suddenly i just saw its foot come out of the doorway right next to me, i actually fell of my chair when that happned (and was unsuprisingly dead when i got back up)

ROFL. I've fallen off my chair a few times playing Doom when I was younger, but can't remember any particular time.

The first time I saw a Cyber Demon i almost wet myself because I'm not really used to the game and yeah, thats all I can saw is I almost wet myself!!

I have NO idea how I reacted when I first saw the Cyberdemon, or how long it took me to kill it. I think I initially cheated with the BFG. Whoops. What I do remember was the entrance room.

Heh, i was playing through the original DSV last night, there's 3 bloody cyberdemons on level 15 XD, fighting 2 at once is still quite a challenge, even if you do have a huge area to move about in XD

deathbringer said:

Heh, i was playing through the original DSV last night, there's 3 bloody cyberdemons on level 15 XD, fighting 2 at once is still quite a challenge, even if you do have a huge area to move about in XD

Try level 30 on scythe.wad, there's one part that releases 4 of them at once :P