Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
fai1025

[ DONE ] DOOMIUM: A Community Project for Short and Explosive maps (Boom Compatible)

10 minutes ago, fai1025 said:

we won't touch UMAPINFO.

in search of the purest element of Doom gameplay

Deal breakers for me, but I still wish you all the best for the project! Would like to point out one thing, however: 

This project is for everyone

No My First MapTM

While I can see how, in a sense, the two might not necessarily overlap, I still feel a bit of clarification would be helpful. 

4 minutes ago, Thelokk said:

Deal breakers for me, but I still wish you all the best for the project

Thank you

4 minutes ago, Thelokk said:

the two might not necessarily overlap, I still feel a bit of clarification would be helpful. 

yeah I agree, I update a bit on that part now, I hope the extra sentence would be helpful.

@fai1025 I'm interested, though I don't know what map slot to pick, since there doesn't seem to be anything special any given slot except MAP15 and MAP31,32. Sign me up for MAP15, I guess. I'd also like some clarification on a few things:

Do you want any theming by episode? Not necessarily visual themes, but also difficulty curve? This is related to my second question:

3 hours ago, fai1025 said:

Difficulies should be fair, and please no RNG fights

I think everyone has a different tolerance for what they find fun or are willing to put up with. Are there some popular WAD's that are on par with the upper end of difficulty you'll allow? Are you expecting it to be doable to complete the map blind, or is it okay if some fights require enough precision that some pre-thought strategy is expected?

no restriction on monster count but please don't make another NUTS

Does this mean you don't want slaughter-style maps? Slaughter action has become a central piece of many modern WAD's, and that often involves high monster density.

Custom MIDI only, no OG Doom2/ Doom1 MIDIs (TNT MIDI is ok), be creative, perhaps make your own.

You want to avoid My First Map, but what is your feeling on My First MIDI? I don't have any training in writing music, but I like to try writing music for my maps.

4 hours ago, fai1025 said:

The Maps playtime must be less than 30 min on blind.

Does this assume the player is maxing the map, or just beating the main portion but perhaps missing some secrets (as well as any monsters in those secrets)?

2 hours ago, Large Cat said:

Are there some popular WAD's that are on par with the upper end of difficulty you'll allow? Are you expecting it to be doable to complete the map blind, or is it okay if some fights require enough precision that some pre-thought strategy is expected?

Generally when I mean fair I mean by something that's beatable without grinding, so generally every genre of fight is fine as long as it's not tedious to play.

Does this mean you don't want slaughter-style maps? Slaughter action has become a central piece of many modern WAD's, and that often involves high monster density.

I love Slaughter maps, what I mean by please don't make another NUTS is to not place a arse ton of monster mindlessly

as for the difficulty curve, just progress it like normal megawad

what is your feeling on My First MIDI? I don't have any training in writing music, but I like to try writing music for my maps.

I didn't mention "no first midi" because I expect most of people to use something from Jimmy or Stu, but in case of that, I think most of people should be aware of their own skill on certainly thing and decide wether or not to show it to people, like if I think my midi is rubbish, I won't show it.

Does this assume the player is maxing the map, or just beating the main portion but perhaps missing some secrets (as well as any monsters in those secrets)?

Just beating the main portion

@Large Cat @CblBOPOTKA thanks for the contribution to the project

Edited by fai1025

On 10/16/2022 at 4:01 PM, fai1025 said:

the theme is to make a collection of SHORT, EXPLOSIVE, and FUN maps, in search of the purest element of Doom gameplay

On 10/16/2022 at 4:01 PM, fai1025 said:

The Maps playtime must be less than 30 min on blind.

These two requirements seem contradictory to me. I've seen people beat Misri Halek blind in 40-60 minutes, and a map even half that size doesn't strike me as "short."

Do you have some examples of maps that you would consider fitting the ideal size range for this project?

9 minutes ago, Pegleg said:

These two requirements seem contradictory to me. I've seen people beat Misri Halek blind in 40-60 minutes, and a map even half that size doesn't strike me as "short."

My definition of short map doesn't require the size to be "short", if you can make a big map and somehow make it have short playtime than sure.

I think the point was not about the physical size of the map, it is that a 30 minute map is pretty long. Either you want short and explosive (I'd point out the recent release Overboard as an example) or you want 30 minute maps, which I'd consider lengthy maps.

36 minutes ago, taviow said:

I think the point was not about the physical size of the map, it is that a 30 minute map is pretty long. Either you want short and explosive (I'd point out the recent release Overboard as an example) or you want 30 minute maps, which I'd consider lengthy maps.

it's not that I want a 30 min long map, I put maxium thirty minutes for blind playthrough, ya know, some people like to do thing slowly

but If you played it yourself as mapper and you still cost 30 minutes than I would say it's too long for this CP

On 10/16/2022 at 9:01 PM, fai1025 said:

So inspired by that, I made a megawad call Unternity, sadly that get no traction, the views and commant are in single digit, and not much after.

I haven't finished playing Unternity just yet since I joined way too many projects, but I'm at map7 and really enjoyed each one so far. I don't think the amount of likes it got is that bad tbh.

The deadline for this project seems reasonable as I'm very close to finishing two other submissions, pencil me in for MAP09, please! @fai1025

I am a big proponent of short, punchy maps. It's definitely my favourite flavour of WAD, so this absolutely has my attention. Hey @fai1025 may I offer you and the team my playtesting services for this project?

3 hours ago, Biodegradable said:

I am a big proponent of short, punchy maps. It's definitely my favourite flavour of WAD, so this absolutely has my attention. Hey @fai1025 may I offer you and the team my playtesting services for this project?

Sure! So far I had summited Map01, so why don't you try that first