Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
esselfortium

Knee-Deep in KDiZD: Released! It's KDiZD for doom2.exe - 1.7.1 is now on /idgames

Hahaha ohmygod it was actually made! Congratulations on the release, I will be playaing this for sure. But didn't you forget about a couple of months worth of teasers with gray-scale stills from the project?

Congrats on the release. The screenshots look great.

I tried to play through the original back then when it was the new hot stuff but could never get through it, kept getting lost and so was my interest. But having this in vanilla style sounds really interesting and I'll definitely check it out.

I didn't have this on my radar at all, so this announcement totally came out of nowhere for me. There isn't much I remember about KDiZD from the time I actually played it, besides that it was great. In the meantime however, I mostly moved over to vanilla ports like Crispy or Woof, so this conversion/remaster/remake/whatever is right down my alley.

Congrats to everyone involved in this project for another amazing release!

Well shit, guess I have no choice but to play this tonight. I've lost track with how many times this community has blown my mind with what's possible with this ancient engine.

Congratulations on (somehow) pulling this off, I can't imagine the sheer effort and talent involved in making something like this!

6 hours ago, esselfortium said:

Welcome back to 2008, everyone! Knee-Deep in KDiZD is here, appearing courtesy of The History Channel. That’s right, it’s 2007’s Knee-Deep in ZDoom, now upgraded for vanilla Doom2.exe.

If you’re not familiar with the original KDiZD, that’s okay! (After all, it has been… wow, 15 years?) You can think of KDiKDiZD as a Doom E1 remake with larger maps and a combined focus on atmosphere, exploration, and tougher combat. KDiKDiZD is also packed full of weird mapping tricks and some really dumb jokes.

KDiKDiZD has been primarily tested in Eternity Engine, DSDA-Doom, Chocolate Doom, and Doom2 1.9, but it will probably work in any Boom-derived or vanilla-like port of your choice. There are currently some graphical glitches in DSDA-Doom. It doesn’t work in (G)ZDoom, and it also doesn’t work with true-color rendering.

Backstory:

Your name is Doom Guy, an actor. You've been cast in a cable TV reenactment of 2007's "Knee-Deep In ZDoom". You were never much of a history buff, but it'll put food on the table and help cover Daisy's vet bills. Maybe it'll even revive your acting career. You adjust the prop helmet to breathe a little easier, try out a few cheesy poses with your character's handgun, and ready yourself for the first day of filming.

Screenshots:

Reveal hidden contents

etrn2825.png

etrn2626.png

etrn2751.png

etrn2770.png

etrn2693.png

etrn2656.png

etrn2752.png

etrn2845.png

etrn2877.png

Features:

• Nine KDiZD maps reinterpreted and enhanced with streamlined layout progression, updated visuals, and all-new fight choreography.
  • Soundtrack replacement featuring new MIDI arrangements of the original Doom tracks.
  • 22 monsters, split between 10 standard types and 12 added ones, featuring a selection of KDiZD monsters and several new to KDiKDiZD.
  • Heavily modified palette with 38 added fullbright colors and some other tricks up its sleeve.
  • Countless new textures and flats.
  • Camera textures to show distant events as they occur.
  • Sliding doors, see-through glass floors, warping liquids, advanced lighting effects, forcefields, scripted events, and slopes.
  • Compatible with Eternity Engine, DSDA-Doom, Crispy Doom, Chocolate Doom, and DOOM2.EXE.
  • Not compatible with true-color rendering or ZDoom-based ports.

Credits:

Reveal hidden contents

KDiKDiZD mappers: Esselfortium, Nuxius, Tun, Tango, Butts, and Brinks

Original KDiZD mappers: Tormentor, Vader, Risen, Nmn, NiGHTMARE, Ellmo, Graf Zahl, BioHazard, and Kirby

Original Knee-Deep in the Dead mappers: John Romero, Sandy Petersen, and Tom Hall

Playtesting leads: dew, rd, GarrettChan

Soundtrack: Jimmy and Esselfortium

Original KDiZD art: Vader, Nmn, NiGHTMARE, Tormentor667, and Scuba

Additional art: Esselfortium, Cage, Eriance, Xaser, Espi, Nmn, Vader, Fletcher, Mark Quinn, Anthony Cole, Tormentor667, ayoung93, elend, and Scuba

New sounds: BouncyTEM and Esselfortium

Story: Esselfortium, dew, and Jimmy

Tool development and technical support: RestlessRodent, fraggle, Altazimuth, Mikolah, Linguica, Nine Inch Heels, Zokum, Andrewj

Additional playtesting and feedback: sink, Marcaek, Nine Inch Heels, CSG, Xaser, Kassman, deathz0r, Vader, Tarnsman, and Antares031

A full detailed credits list is available in kdikdizd.txt.

Known Bugs:

Reveal hidden contents
  • Due to voodoo doll shenanigans, you may sometimes become a "zombie" instead of dying.

• It is sometimes possible to "bump" a keycard without actually picking it up.

• Saving your game in vanilla is not supported, due to the savegame buffer limit. If you're using Chocolate Doom, you can disable the savegame size limit in Chocolate-Setup, or if you're using real vanilla, you can optionally use Doom32 or Doom2+ to extend that limit if you want to save.

• Camtextures may sometimes display time in a slightly accelerated form from what you are used to. These are premonitions and should be treated as such. Remain mindful of these possible futures.

• In DSDA-Doom and PrBoom-Plus, you may run into some oddities. The automap background color appears as an eyesearing bright blue instead of the expected black. (You can override this in the settings page if you want.) Also, sprites for players, Nightmare Demons, and Hell Knights will appear with glitched colors.

Q&A:

Reveal hidden contents

Is this really KDiZD for vanilla?

• More or less, yeah! A lot of creative license has been taken, both to make the maps work within vanilla limits and just because I wanted to. It would be kind of pointless to literally just make the same thing again. KDiKDiZD plays a lot differently than KDiZD, but if you know those maps you should be able to easily recognize these alternate versions of them.

Are you actually allowed to do that?

• KDiZD’s text file says that it allows modification and reuse, so yep! I’ve also spoken with some of the KDiZD’s creators while in the process of developing this.

Wasn’t this project dead?

• Yes! After several years of work, I shelved it around 2011 because it had become an unmaintainable nightmare, and because BTSX development was really taking off around that time. I picked it back up in 2020, overhauled a lot of things, and did most of the remaining work myself because I am apparently some sort of Extreme Doom Masochist.

Why?!

• I don’t know!

No, seriously, what the fuck?

• I really don’t know what to tell you. This project is what happens when I repeatedly ignore the voice of reason that tells me something would be too annoying to attempt.

What about BTSX E3?

• Next year.

Downloab:

Public Build 1

(load the A and B wads together)

kdikdizd.txt

DEH9000 patch source

Looks awesome always love these remarks or reimagine of the classic episodes good work :) just wish we got the Shore of hell and inferno  

Awesome!

The trailer alone looks abosultely mind-blowing, given that everything is Vanilla-Compatible!

Is this the first 'not-a-tech-demo' WAD to use mikoportals for scripting, right?

I've watched the trailer 5 times already and I still can't believe this is fully vanilla compatible... I mean... HOW? O.O

Amazing job Esselfortium, I've literally never been so impressed by a vanilla WAD before.

Amazing release! I'm speechless.

Spoiler

Voxel Doom but without the voxels? :D

7UcoqOO.png

and faux colored lighting, mm - cheff kiss

htSkSHx.png

loving the new monsters too. Hard to believe how far the vanilla limits can be pushed with enough skill

I am convinced this is Lilith 2 in disguise.

Also, the author has spoken, but I think KD in KD in KDiZD is going to be a puzzler, where you complete unfinished brainmelting Doom levels in Slade that has been ported and is running in Vanilla Doom as a PWAD, all in DOS (with text adventure as a bonus to those who connect the Hercules monitor). 

Edited by ludicrous_peridot

Just a heads up that the mikoportals don't seem to work in Doom Retro, at least not in the version included with Delta Touch (they're fine in PRBoom+ on Delta Touch).

Holy moly, this is more unexpected than the Spanish inquisition! Congrats for this year Mordeth award and from what I seen now and back in the day, a possibile cacoward!

This is wild to see. The idea of a mod primarily centred around Zdoom being ported to vanilla is impressive and also kinda funny

usually when I try out a new wad for the first time, I add to the load list a single-map wad of my own making

it's a simple room with all things placed inside which help me identify if the wad uses custom content

with KDiKDiZD, this makes both woof and dsda crash immediately after idclev'ing or warping to the map

would anyone help me out in troubleshooting this?

the map is MAP88 in this wad: ShowDoom2.zip

error message in woof:

R_ProjectSprite: invalid frame 0 for sprite VCEL

error message in dsda:

R_ProjectSprite: Missing spriteframes 82 : 0

15 minutes ago, Collegia Titanica said:

Why. The. Fuk. Would you make something that doesn't work on the MAIN Doom engine EVERYONE uses ??!?!?

Everyone uses, so Doom Unity? Well it might work in that but it doesn't support multi part wads as is, plus I seem to recall it's dehacked implementation doesn't support translating sprite names currently.

Edited by Edward850

35 minutes ago, Collegia Titanica said:

Why. The. Fuk. Would you make something that doesn't work on the MAIN Doom engine EVERYONE uses ??!?!?

i didn't realize that i used gzdoom, thank you for informing me

42 minutes ago, Delfino Furioso said:

usually when I try out a new wad for the first time, I add to the load list a single-map wad of my own making

it's a simple room with all things placed inside which help me identify if the wad uses custom content

with KDiKDiZD, this makes both woof and dsda crash immediately after idclev'ing or warping to the map

would anyone help me out in troubleshooting this?

the map is MAP88 in this wad: ShowDoom2.zip

error message in woof:

R_ProjectSprite: invalid frame 0 for sprite VCEL

error message in dsda:

R_ProjectSprite: Missing spriteframes 82 : 0

A bunch of the thingtype numbers are different from their vanilla defaults, so you'd have to modify your wad to use the numbers that are in the deh patch.

On a technical standpoint this is probably the greatest vanilla mapset I'll ever see. Congrats on the release! Z1M8 in particular blew me away, it's a fantastic way to cap off a great mapset.

I'm guessing it's only temporary since the text file does mention new demos, but right now letting the unreplaced demos play crashes vanilla and chocolate with a "R_TextureNumForName: PANEL4 not found".
Other than that, I'm utterly impressed by what I've played so far.

1 minute ago, SuperGiantNinjaYeti said:

I'm guessing it's only temporary since the text file does mention new demos, but right now letting the unreplaced demos play crashes vanilla and chocolate with a "R_TextureNumForName: PANEL4 not found".
Other than that, I'm utterly impressed by what I've played so far.

Oops, yeah, that needs to be fixed for the next version.

Holy cow, I've been looking forward to playing this (and putting all the technical tricks under a microscope. The trailer alone demonstrates so many cool tricks)! Is it too late to scrap my plans for the weekend?

Also a well deserved congrats on the release, I know this has been quite the journey.

1 hour ago, Collegia Titanica said:

Because the problem is that zdoom based source ports lack in compatibility with doom2.exe. If something works with the DOS version but not with (G)ZDoom, it will always be side effect of (G)ZDoom being not accurate to the way that the original doom engine works.

Oh Essel.

@esselfortium

This is the project (aside BTSX) that i felt was buried in dust, although you made enough passing mentions over the years to denote that this project was special to you. Then Tranmap-FX was properly released, another qualified Esselmagik kind of deal.

And so this is now in our midst. And just like your recent music album (Fantastic album by the way, its regularly played!) this too is full of vanilla Esselmagik and (likely?) the new Vanilla pushing benchmark.

Seeing those awesome camera textures, pseudo-scripting effects and modified colormaps (Goody!), its almost criminal it is just 9 levels.

This is Vanilla's crown release this year. A release by you is pretty much defacto a seal of quality.

Speaking for all, i am so glad that you, your work and this exists in this community. Thank you.

1 hour ago, Collegia Titanica said:

I mean, the one mapset beyond this one also doesn't work in Unity. But ofcourse that wouldn't be fair since that post is from 2018.

Considering this is your comeback post, you both have a lot of catching up to do and also realize that this work targets something different entirely.

Wow... this is not the nostalgia I was expecting. I remember playing an early build of this way back when.

Awesome to see it's actually a thing now.

2 hours ago, Collegia Titanica said:

I think it's because the trick to make it work in vanilla Doom involves exploiting a glitch where a voodoo doll's z position goes past the negative overflow limit, making them fall through the ceiling. This creates a slow forward momentum which allows the doll to pass through multiple walk-over triggers. That trick doesn't work in GZDoom, because it "properly" checks for and handles the negative overflow, thus the doll comes to a stop after being knocked off the ledge instead of continuing forward.

And honestly, I'm not sure how many people are even using GZDoom anymore. Just about every new map I see coming out is aimed at Boom or DSDA. It's to the point where I'm probably going to stop making "GZDoom: Doom 2" maps because I'm not sure there's even an audience for them anymore.

Edited by Stabbey

Note: For those playing on Vanilla and having troubles patching it: VULD can take care of this for you and generate a custom executable for you with the patch merged in.

However VULD seems to take issue with both seperate WAD files: I have merged the DeHacked patch but on DOSBox, WAD won't boot. This is likely because VULD uses DEUSF to merge both WAD's together which is a big-nono.

To circumvent this, use DEHPick to merge the DEH patch with a copy of Doom2.exe (will be called Kdikdizd.exe) and then use:

kdikdizd -file kdikdi_a.wad kdikdi_b.wad

This will show up the intro screen, but then it crashes with the following:

R_TextureNumForName: PANEL4 not found

@esselfortium will need your assistance on this. This is a stock exe with the DEH patch included and then loading up the separate WAD files accordingly. Given i see an intro screen means this is the correct way, but the error is not. Possible bug? User (meaning me) stupidity?

15 minutes ago, Stabbey said:

I'm not sure there's even an audience for them anymore.

There is if you're into conversions, or are one of the (somewhat shrinking group of) Hellforge-style GZDoom projects aficionados. You know, that kind of OTEX-fueled, dynamic lights laden mapsets that were all the rage until a couple of years ago. 

Trends come and go, and Doom mapping is no exception. 

Edited by Thelokk