Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
thestarrover

Pelit-lehti 1994 Doom Mapping Contest and Wad Compilation

Nice walk through memory lane... Will check out the maps later tonight.

How did you find the maps? Also, is YEAH.WAD the winning map?

EDIT: Just played E1M1... incredible. I've always said gameplay first, graphics second. And this wad so far proves it. There's a reason why Doom and Minecraft remain popular despite superior graphics in modern games. It's amazing how this community continues to surface historical content and maps from the past.

EDIT2: Played E1M2/E1M3.... amazing work. I found the secret exit in E1M3, so I'm in the middle of E1M9. This wad deserves to be on /idgames for posterity's sake!

Edited by princetontiger

1 hour ago, princetontiger said:

Nice walk through memory lane... Will check out the maps later tonight.

How did you find the maps? Also, is YEAH.WAD the winning map?

EDIT: Just played E1M1... incredible. I've always said gameplay first, graphics second. And this wad so far proves it. There's a reason why Doom and Minecraft remain popular despite superior graphics in modern games. It's amazing how this community continues to surface historical content and maps from the past.

EDIT2: Played E1M2/E1M3.... amazing work. I found the secret exit in E1M3, so I'm in the middle of E1M9. This wad deserves to be on /idgames for posterity's sake!

Honestly I don't know which level is the winner. YEAH.wad is nice but not as much as the others. For me the best is E1M3: many secrets to find and the best gameplay.

I found the wad on a cd, but since there are registered commercial games in it, I can't tell the name here.

This is awesome! Gotta play this later today and see, how much I remember of the wad. Pelit-lehti was indeed the Finnish gaming magazine back in the day which I think got serious competition only much later (in the 2000s). It first started as an annual or half-annual "book", and in 1992 turned into a monthly magazine. I was 10 years old at the time. Sadly I never frequented Pelit-BBS; It was located in southern Finland whereas I lived on the west coast; it would have been a long distance call, which I guess was "too expensive" :P Then there was no Internet as we know it, we had to use telephone lines for remote servers (such as BBS's).

I have no recollection on whether or not the winners were released as a combined wad like doomkisa (kisa meaning competition). In the zip file there's a text file that gives the order:

1 Linna
2 Yeah
3 Molem
4 Coal Factory
5 Ryyd
6 JT
7 Hoath
8 Joi
9 Magnus

One lingustic tidbit; In the DMWC: Down the Drain thread somebody mentioned that in the 90s there were a lot of castle-levels, everybody would make a castle level. The first entry in PELIT1.WAD is called "Linna", which is, you guessed it, finnish for castle.

Edited by RHhe82

E1M5... oh boy. I found all three official secrets plus the extra BFG secret (which should count). I got down to 76/77 enemy kills, but couldn't find the yellow key. After 30 mins, I decided to noclip through it and kill the last enemy, a baron of hell. Anyone know where to find that key?

12 hours ago, thestarrover said:

I can't tell if the levels were originally released individually or if someone later collected them in one wad.

Reading more closely the winner remarks, it says that the seventh map ("Linna") is the "self-proclaimed (? not sure how to translate itseoikeutetusti) starting level of the Pelit WAD", so I'm guessing the wad in the zip file is the "intended" way to experience these early cacopalkinto winners.

1 hour ago, princetontiger said:

E1M5... oh boy. I found all three official secrets plus the extra BFG secret (which should count). I got down to 76/77 enemy kills, but couldn't find the yellow key. After 30 mins, I decided to noclip through it and kill the last enemy, a baron of hell. Anyone know where to find that key?

Open the door, and in the next room take the lift. The Yellow key is in the corner.

Screenshot_Doom_20221112_100632.png.14dc186fcf7d1aa768745f98c1bbb490.png

Screenshot_Doom_20221112_100642.png.68221df0522e986fcdeab9dcd3dbbe05.png

Screenshot_Doom_20221112_101056.png.b3565379e1420e867fd328c93bba92e0.png

4 hours ago, RHhe82 said:

This is awesome! Gotta play this later today and see, how much I remember of the wad. Pelit-lehti was indeed the Finnish gaming magazine back in the day which I think got serious competition only much later (in the 2000s). It first started as an annual or half-annual "book", and in 1992 turned into a monthly magazine. I was 10 years old at the time. Sadly I never frequented Pelit-BBS; It was located in southern Finland whereas I lived on the west coast; it would have been a long distance call, which I guess was "too expensive" :P Then there was no Internet as we know it, we had to use telephone lines for remote servers (such as BBS's).

I have no recollection on whether or not the winners were released as a combined wad like doomkisa (kisa meaning competition). In the zip file there's a text file that gives the order:

One lingustic tidbit; In the DMWC: Down the Drain thread somebody mentioned that in the 90s there were a lot of castle-levels, everybody would make a castle level. The first entry in PELIT1.WAD is called "Linna", which is, you guessed it, finnish for castle.

Thanks! Thank you very much for the info @RHhe82.

It was a leap into the past.if I read correctly the Finnish wikipedia, on the Pelit-BBS there was two sections: one fore the zip and jar files available to download and one for the conversation. It is a pity that it was only for the subscribers: I wonder how many interesting files were stored in it. 150 was the levels submitted to the contest. I wonder if someone still has them! :)

Edited by thestarrover

10 hours ago, princetontiger said:

That's awesome you're piecing together history from old shareware CDs

Thank you! 

I noticed that on some French and Spanish CDs there are many wads submitted to the magazines and  almost never released on the net.

So  I decided to collect as many levels as possible from the various coverdiscs and shareware Cds. There are some little gems hidden in there. :)

That is very nostalgic :D I remember our gaming related magazines like Pelit and Tilt which featured reviews and articles related to video gaming. Never knew there was a competition like this, I only got to read my big brothers old magazines which were dated at the time. Still looks cool asf!

E: Also gotta nitpick a little, it's "lehti" and not "lethi" :P

10 minutes ago, Sonikkumania said:

That is very nostalgic :D I remember our gaming related magazines like Pelit and Tilt which featured reviews and articles related to video gaming. Never knew there was a competition like this, I only got to read my big brothers old magazines which were dated at the time. Still looks cool asf!

E: Also gotta nitpick a little, it's "lehti" and not "lethi" :P

Thank you! I corrected the title! :)  Could it have been one of the first contests ever made?

3 minutes ago, thestarrover said:

Could it have been one of the first contests ever made?

I don't think so. There were Nintendo-lehti which to my knowledge debuted in the 80's and I think it featured some competitons as well.

Also a video game TV program named Game Over featured various competitions on air, though due to modern "wireless" technology being in it's infancy back then,

the phone connections often ended up dead.

But in regard in creating a game of your own, yes, this might've been the first here. I remember actually playing "JT" 10 years ago.

Two tricky switches:

This lift is very interesting....I could rest a little inside :)

Screenshot_Doom_20221112_160842.png.3910ae5711fd7a31225db8c07b89664a.png

The switch located at the top works.... :)

Screenshot_Doom_20221112_160238.png.0c8ef7b020cc031d0b539d0f3134c09b.png

Joi was the winning map. The issue 1/1995 page reads:
"One of the longest levels throughout the competition; playthrough goes on and on! Finished touch and excellent gameplay guaranteed the win. Juha gets 1000 marks in cash."
That was quite the grand prize back then. 250mk wasn't bad either for a map like Yeah.

It's also mentioned roughly 150 maps were played and "the best 20 competitors were really good". I wonder what those other 11 maps were like.

20 hours ago, thestarrover said:

I can't tell if the levels were originally released individually or if someone later collected them in one wad.

"Pelit-wad" is mentioned on the 1/1995 page. I guess that's the same WAD found on Pelit-BBS.

11 hours ago, thestarrover said:

Open the door, and in the next room take the lift. The Yellow key is in the corner.

Doh! I blame my 12am brain. I did not see that at all.

17 hours ago, ASD said:

Joi was the winning map. The issue 1/1995 page reads:
"One of the longest levels throughout the competition; playthrough goes on and on! Finished touch and excellent gameplay guaranteed the win. Juha gets 1000 marks in cash."
That was quite the grand prize back then. 250mk wasn't bad either for a map like Yeah.

It's also mentioned roughly 150 maps were played and "the best 20 competitors were really good". I wonder what those other 11 maps were like.

"Pelit-wad" is mentioned on the 1/1995 page. I guess that's the same WAD found on Pelit-BBS.

Thanks a lot for the info and the details !

I wonder too what kind of maps they could be and if it is sill  possible to find them somewhere.

This is really interesting, I will probably get around to play it later this week. I managed to make it run on Dosbox.

Any chance you can upload it to the archive?

Holy cow! E1M7 was a fast-paced slaughterfest. E1M8, on the other hand, not so much. Although, the finale is a big reason I love Doom. It's a non-linear, puzzle map packed with plenty of action.

Overall, an excellent blast from the past. Thx again for letting these maps see the light of day once more.

3 hours ago, Garlichead said:

This is really interesting, I will probably get around to play it later this week. I managed to make it run on Dosbox.

Any chance you can upload it to the archive?

I could, but I never upload a file on idgames so it could take me a while. I have some problem with the "copyright / permission section" on the template. I don't know how to fill it in. If someone has a suggestion is more than welcome :)

9 minutes ago, princetontiger said:

Holy cow! E1M7 was a fast-paced slaughterfest. E1M8, on the other hand, not so much. Although, the finale is a big reason I love Doom. It's a non-linear, puzzle map packed with plenty of action.

Overall, an excellent blast from the past. Thx again for letting these maps see the light of day once again.

Thank you for playing the wad! I am glad you liked it!  It is very good collection. I like non- linear levels full of secret. :)

A small update.

Today I found the standalone and original release of the E1M6 level: "jt.wad" by Jussi Tähti.

The wad is still available to download on his site. Map slot E1m1.

jt.wad

EDIT: I emailed Jussi Tähti  to ask if he had any maps from the contest, but unfortunately he doesn't.

Edited by thestarrover

Starting playing through it today. First two maps are very enjoyable, got lost on the third map and ended up on the secret level.

Feels quite polished for being from 1994. Kind of reminds me of the Eternity series

2 hours ago, Garlichead said:

Starting playing through it today. First two maps are very enjoyable, got lost on the third map and ended up on the secret level.

Feels quite polished for being from 1994. Kind of reminds me of the Eternity series

The third map is my favorite: large and very detailed. There are also many secrets to cover and some not so easy to find.

Yes, for being from 1994 the maps are very well done and very different from each other. And the gameplay is remarkable. A very good set.

Did anybody experience a crash on map 6?

When I try to save the game on Doom.exe 1.2 it crashes dosbox.

It appears to save fine on DSDA on complevel 1 (Which emulates Version 1.6; I have heard 1.2 is buggy on boom source ports)

Edited by Garlichead

8 hours ago, Garlichead said:

Did anybody experience a crash on map 6?

When I try to save the game on Doom.exe 1.2 it crashes dosbox.

It appears to save fine on DSDA on complevel 1 (Which emulates Version 1.6; I have heard 1.2 is buggy on boom source ports)

Saving works fine, on dosbox,  with version 1.666 and ultimate dooom. 

I confirm the crash with version 1.2.

6 minutes ago, thestarrover said:

Saving works fine, on dosbox,  with version 1.666 and ultimate dooom. 

I confirm the crash with version 1.2.

On 11/11/2022 at 1:55 PM, thestarrover said:

On GZDOOM the wad works without problems, while on dosbox it requires doom version 1.2. With later versions it does not work correctly.

My mistake: the wad works fine also with doom 1.666 and Ultimate Doom

Thanks for checking. I just saw this edit, when i originally download it i thought it would only work on 1.2. This makes it much easier to test.