Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
illYay1337

Is Zscript usable in level scripting?

Question

I'm familiar with ACS and DECORATE from back in the day.  Zscript seems like a great replacement for Decorate, but I'm slightly confused on whether it's usable in level scripting, or do we still use ACS for everything?  I can't find specific examples of ZScript used in levels, but it seems like a really powerful thing otherwise.

Like if I walk over a linedef I'm familiar with how to trigger a script in ACS, and if that's not possible with ZScript then I guess still use ACS?

3 answers to this question

Yeah, you'll primarily be using ACS for map scripting. There was a fairly recent thread on the ZDoom forums about this, and suffice to say it's not likely that ZSCRIPT will supplant ACS like it did DECORATE for a while.

You can use ScriptCall in ACS to call ZScript functions from a provided class. This is useful for extending ACS beyond previous limits or accessing additional information (ie. the size of a graphic) that ACS was not capable of fetching previously.

Oh cool, I could potentially make a library of more complex things if needed in zscript.  But yeah it sounds like for basic things like an elevator I should be able to just do most things with ACS still.