Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Katamori

What are you playing now?

7 hours ago, Budoka said:

@KillPixel Hope you end up liking the style I guess, because those latter three are very alike each other.

I hope so too.  I like plutonia(s), scythe 1, alien vendetta, unholy realms, etc.  looking for more of that and perhaps a bit more challenging.  there's a sweet spot there somewhere between plutonia and sunlust, and I'm trying to find it :P

9 hours ago, KillPixel said:

I hope so too.  I like plutonia(s), scythe 1, alien vendetta, unholy realms, etc.  looking for more of that and perhaps a bit more challenging.  there's a sweet spot there somewhere between plutonia and sunlust, and I'm trying to find it :P

Try Skillsaw's stuff like Valiant, Ancient Aliens and Heartland. They are really in-between Plutonia and Sunlust I would say and I think you will like them. I would also recommend checking out Going Down, Speed of Doom and Eviternity.

1 hour ago, ReaperAA said:

Try Skillsaw's stuff like Valiant, Ancient Aliens and Heartland. They are really in-between Plutonia and Sunlust I would say and I think you will like them. I would also recommend checking out Going Down, Speed of Doom and Eviternity.

Speed of Doom is part of the original conversation to begin with, but yeah, great list. I'll add Struggle to it, it can easily give Ancient Aliens and Eviternity a run for their money quality wise and yet it gets overlooked a lot.

9 hours ago, ReaperAA said:

Good recs as I've sampled all of those.  Really can't get into valiant, ancient aliens, heartland and eviternity (btsx doesn't grip me either).  I recognize they are legitimately great, but they stray too far from what I want out of doom, mostly on an aesthetic level.  I'm shallow and a bad person.

I want short, concise, challenging and classically styled maps, ideally.  there are wads that I love that break away from this, however, such as whispers of satan and hellbound, which get flak for being too easy, conventional and long winded.

1 hour ago, KillPixel said:

I want short, concise, challenging and classically styled maps, ideally.

In that case, Going Down should make you feel at home. It uses vanilla-only textures and has small sized maps with focus on high action. Skillsaw's older wads, Vanguard and Lunatic are also shorter (having 11 maps and 5 maps respectively) and more conservative aesthetically and more concise. Though they are also quite easier than Skillsaw's later works.

If you are looking for more classic and relaxed (conventional or adventure-like), then I would recommend checking out Doom Zero, Anomaly Report and TNT's sequels like TNT:Revilution and TNT2:Devilution.

On 10/28/2022 at 8:34 PM, Budoka said:

Besides that, the only other example I know is Memento Mori II which is also a great megawad.

Before anybody else mentions it, Nova III also has a hell themed E1, cool themes for other two episodes as well.

39 minutes ago, ReaperAA said:

In that case, Going Down should make you feel at home. It uses vanilla-only textures and has small sized maps with focus on high action. Skillsaw's older wads, Vanguard and Lunatic are also shorter (having 11 maps and 5 maps respectively) and more conservative aesthetically and more concise. Though they are also quite easier than Skillsaw's later works.

If you are looking for more classic and relaxed (conventional or adventure-like), then I would recommend checking out Doom Zero, Anomaly Report and TNT's sequels like TNT:Revilution and TNT2:Devilution.

Good recs again, I have going down on my to-play list, i'll check out the others.  I quite liked revilition, isn't devilution still in development?  will check it out.

Bouncing between a few wads. Ancient Aliens on the modern front, chipping away at Vilecore and Death Tormention Trilogy, and occasionally making progress in Doom Core Trilogy.

After giving up on Sunder UV for a few/several months on Map 05 or so, I'm now on Map 15.
I usually have several saved games so I can save in key moments without fucking up the entire play and starting all over again. I usually feel somewhat like a cheater/coward when I do that, but for a mod like Sunder, feels really necessary.

Although, I also discovered something really magical while playing Sunder, even while saving a lot of times throughout one single map. There are some moments when I see a horde of X demons (Cyberdemons, Arch-viles, etc) and I say to myself "This is just impossible. I can't beat this part. Even if I save for every small progress.", and after dying 500 times, I beat that part that seemed impossible. Sunder provides good challenges that truly defy the perception of your own skills and capabilities.

Currently on Map 19 of Anomaly Report. Playing on UV with Saves every time i obtain a key. I had beaten it before and like it very much.

Started playing Whispers of Satan on HMP with saves on keys. I had played it before, but did not finish it as life got in its way. I remember really liking the Gothic episode and the soundtrack. I am starting the brick episode now, difficulty has been ok so far with the opening of Map 07, having most of my pelts (those chaingun snipers...).

Not long ago i finished "2002 a Doom Odyssey", and really enjoyed it. Wanted to try something else by @pcorf

Edited by Garlichead

I started playing TNT Evilution PSX through the Doom PSX CE mod with the GFX addons. I am currently at Metal.

14 hours ago, Garlichead said:

Not long ago i finished "2002 a Doom Odyssey", and really enjoyed and wanted to try something else by @pcorf

2022 A Doom Odyssey just got finalized and uploaded to idgames like last week, I can't think of a more fitting wad to play if you liked the first one so much.

I like Death Tormention a lot, I recommend getting the Trilogy download, in this form it's another 4-episode Ultimate Doom megawad (it also includes Simply Phobos, an E1 replacement). It's a collaboration with Kristian Aro just like 2002, so if you liked that about 2002 I think you'll enjoy this one quite a bit.

On the Doom II side, Twilight Zone was Pcorf's first (or at least first uploaded) and it kinda shows, but I still like it. The sequel is much improved, if occasionally a bit surreal. Zone 300 and Zone 400 are both quite acclaimed and the latter got a Cacoward, the number refers to the max number of linedefs per map, they're both very creative with how much got crammed within those limits.

These should keep you busy for a while :P but there are also dozens more to pick from. I'm personally not a fan of the jokewads, but even if you take these out there are lots of quality wads left. Have fun!

18 hours ago, brick said:

2022 A Doom Odyssey just got finalized and uploaded to idgames like last week, I can't think of a more fitting wad to play if you liked the first one so much.

Haha nice. I actually had it on my backlog. Thanks for the other recommendations as well 

Edited by Garlichead

I have just finished this playthrough. Would be really interested in hearing your experiences on this WAD once you are finished.

As you are probably aware the difficulty increases a lot beyond where you are now and builds pretty heavily to the finish. Good luck. I really enjoyed it so hope you do too.

12 hours ago, ImpRevenant said:

I'm doing a pistol-start saveless playthrough of the first scythe, I'm currently on map 13

Deus Vult II, having a blast. Doom is srs bsns, but I like wads that have a sense of humor, but don't misstep into wholesale silliness (Running Late 2, Headless Chicken are recent playthroughs of mine that made this mistake imo).  

1 hour ago, Nightmare2989 said:

Let's see sunlust-Hellbound and Uprising at the moment 

Sunlust and Hellbound are superb. Haven't played uprising tho.

Right now, replaying NEIS.wad and playing 2022 ADO for the first time, which together are some of the best Ultimate Dooming imaginable.

A map called 'Remains.wad' from the Instant Doom mid-1990s compilation (it's probably on other similar compilations too). Typically uninspiring visuals, but it's a decent challenge even on HMP. Strafe jumping to the soulsphere was a particularly tricky bit.

5 hours ago, Kyka said:

Sunlust and Hellbound are superb. Haven't played uprising tho.

Right now, replaying NEIS.wad and playing 2022 ADO for the first time, which together are some of the best Ultimate Dooming imaginable.

NEIS is a good doom 1 wad played it a few times good stuff it is 

Playing Episode 2 of the original Doom, using Brutal Doom Black Edition (v3.36). This mod is impressive in some ways, but enjoyment is being severely curtailed by the unbalanced and overpowered melee attacks. The monsters can move ridiculously quickly and it's often impossible to recover from a mauling. Just try entering the crusher room in Halls Of The Damned for instance.

I'd say that the difficulty level I'm playing on (only the third of eleven) is probably at least three times harder than Ultra Violence in the regular game. How on earth is one supposed to survive at level 11 (or even level 7), I wonder?

Currently halfway through the Simply Phobos. First episode has a very 90s feel. I have heard very good things about the death tormention episodes, specially the third one. 

I've been playing KDIKDIZD. I'm also trying out a handfull of old and new Doom1 episode replacements to see what the best ones have to offer as I'm planning to make one without it being too generic or derivative.

Reached MAP31 of Demonfear, a possible progenitor for the Scythe series, these are very short and small maps but they're fun little skirmishes that have their moments.