Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
fai1025

[ DONE ] DOOMIUM: A Community Project for Short and Explosive maps (Boom Compatible)

2 hours ago, CblBOPOTKA said:

Thanks for finding it. By the way, what source port (and version) do you using? I want to take a better look on the sky, but dsda 0.24.3 cannot help me in that mission, correcting these defects.

That's the port (same version, too) I was using lol.

On 10/16/2022 at 10:28 PM, fai1025 said:

DOWNLOAD HERE (ver2)

DOWNLOAD HERE (ver1 archived)

Map Name: Kickstarter

Music: Wanderer by FAI

Info & notes: This is the first map of the project, if you are not sure how the map should go, this should serve as an example.

further update will be done.

YJlNW8E.png

The screenshot reminds me of good old Unreal mapping. There be more like this here?

1 hour ago, Pixel Fiend said:

There be more like this here?

Well let's see, I'm sure someone will make something better than this

And there is already, check out other ppl's map

YFmc7Db.png

hi Fai here

I put in some times and here's the first build, pre-alpha. next build will be released after another sizable amount of map being submitted or revised

DOWNLOAD

Content: 

• Added all the available maps (01,06,08,11,14,21,23,25,32)
  • Added some custom sprites
  • Added menu elements (TITLEPIC, INTERPIC, custom difficulty name)
  • Added music for Title, intermission, text screen

Things not yet being done

• Rest of the maps
  • Fill out the txt file

Played through first maps in pre-alpha and want to say that this wad going to be very promising. Found few defects:

map08 - texture misalign

Spoiler

doom00.png.853ff4cd9311ca0d92221272c6464717.png

map14

Spoiler

- too dark for me in that labyrinth fight

- placing AVs behind lava is quite mean

- i struggled ammo starving at the beginning (on the other hand, it forces to look for secrets)
- seems like this bridge is raised initially, after pressing it lowers

doom01.png.f6da520103849af8e6cc6be22bfad52d.png

playing map21 now and i think I've solved starting combat puzzle (now i feel that it's great)

Played a few of the maps, and I must say all of them are really fun! In order to bring my map to the level of quality of the others, I have made some adjustments to it.

Unless someone finds other game-breaking glitches, this should be the final version.

Can be downloaded here.

Changes:

Spoiler

Added lighting for the vent section.

Removed some Arch-Viles that were ruining the overall feel of the map. I find the map much more pleasing now than the way it was before.

Fixed bridge from the exit.

Some cosmetic changes to the exit.

Revamped the last fight.

Difficulty tweaks for Hurt Me Plenty.

Also, I didn't like the STBAR that came with the WAD, so I made one myself. If it fits the project, I don't mind it being used.

16 minutes ago, NinthBurn said:

Also, I didn't like the STBAR that came with the WAD, so I made one myself. If it fits the project, I don't mind it being used.

perfect, I'll use it for the CP

I'll put in the old STBAR to separate wad as a optional addon, some people like minimalistic HUD, like me

Edited by fai1025

1 hour ago, NinthBurn said:

Played a few of the maps, and I must say all of them are really fun! In order to bring my map to the level of quality of the others, I have made some adjustments to it.

Unless someone finds other game-breaking glitches, this should be the final version.

Can be downloaded here.

Changes:

Hide contents

Added lighting for the vent section.

Removed some Arch-Viles that were ruining the overall feel of the map. I find the map much more pleasing now than the way it was before.

Fixed bridge from the exit.

Some cosmetic changes to the exit.

Revamped the last fight.

Difficulty tweaks for Hurt Me Plenty.

Playing the newer version right now and found a bug:

Spoiler

doom02.png.962e669a642481f25c9f8af05fde1c46.png

And a misaligned texture:

Spoiler

doom03.png.b4d259385cedd789f60b76cbb39197e2.png

This fence is probably broken. I can't go through the lower part of it:

Spoiler

doom04.png.e8c505205bb613f658999aa56f21b5f9.png

Also I'm disappointed you removed an arch-vile from the red key fight. It became too easy because of that imo :/

Just beat the final fight. It's better, but still a bit of a pushover. Plus you can cheese it a bit by staying in the penultimate fight area and luring all of the flying enemies inside. Also some of the arachnotrons are a bit hard to kill because projectiles collide with the geometry. I'm waving at those arachnotrons in the screenshots: https://imgbox.com/g/Q8KeAuuF8s

Also I'd suggest to crush that cyberdemon at the end. Fighting him after you've dealt with everything else is a bit sloggish.

Edited by CittyKat112

19 minutes ago, Womp the Cat said:

Here is what I hope will be the final version of the map! Nightjar-v3.zip 

Map08: NightJar

Midi is by Mr Freeze

Just beat it. Nice map, the beginning was a bit hard but once you realize you're supposed to rush for the SSG, you'll be fine. I only found one issue: there's these light columns at the beginning and they act like stairs. Consider making the lowest step of these columns impassable. Everything else was fine. I was going to say this map could use a bit more health but actually it's not that bad, especially if you save the soulsphere for emergencies.

Screenshots (literally two screenshots because I didn't find any misalignments or missing textures lol): https://imgbox.com/g/dwlgZzj9uF

Hey everyone. I'm sorry for being very silent throughout this whole project, but I have some disappointing news to share. I know that I will not be able to finish my map for the project deadline. School as well as my personal life have really gotten in the way as well as some technical issues for me and a complete dry spell in ideas for my map. I've chosen to pull out of this project for my own sake. I'm truly sorry, I really should've said something earlier but I kept insisting to myself that I wanted to finish this project, but I now realize that forcing myself to do this is just not good for me. I hope that you all are able to find someone to replace me in the project. Again, I am very sorry about this, I hope everyone will understand.

9 hours ago, StarSpun5000 said:

Hey everyone. I'm sorry for being very silent throughout this whole project, but I have some disappointing news to share. I know that I will not be able to finish my map for the project deadline. School as well as my personal life have really gotten in the way as well as some technical issues for me and a complete dry spell in ideas for my map. I've chosen to pull out of this project for my own sake. I'm truly sorry, I really should've said something earlier but I kept insisting to myself that I wanted to finish this project, but I now realize that forcing myself to do this is just not good for me. I hope that you all are able to find someone to replace me in the project. Again, I am very sorry about this, I hope everyone will understand.

understandable, it happen to me multiple times, thanks for joining this CP, nontheless

I hope I don't get a "pull out" wave, since there's still a lot of people haven't finish their map yet

I have also been silent though I'm here to say that I've been making progress. I've been busy with university this week and that will continue on for at least one more week. I can't assure the decoration will be 100% finished by the deadline, but the gameplay is mostly done at this point. I'm thinking of uploading a version of the map as soon as the gameplay is done, for people to playtest it, and add more detail as I get some feedback from others. 

I don't know if it's really that important but for the MIDI I'm using On Lockdown by Jimmy Paddock. I'm putting it out there just so it doesn't collide with someone else's music choice.

Anyway, here some screenshots: (DISCLAIMER: I no-clipped to capture the first one, so it doesn't represent what you'd actually have at that moment and place)

Spoiler

468959688_GZDoomg4.8.064-bit(2022-06-0617_14_470200)24-Nov-227_58_35PM.png.682595ab230acf00e5548949876d4e25.png

1276100687_GZDoomg4.8.064-bit(2022-06-0617_14_470200)02-Nov-2212_01_14PM.png.fa30aae9f4c6bdf8269e12614f0349e7.png

613001257_GZDoomg4.8.064-bit(2022-06-0617_14_470200)02-Nov-2211_56_19AM.png.0654c20cda2415683ace564b5d4551da.png

Good luck to all the mappers and I wish you all the best for the time that's left.

Finished my first map.

Green Waste.zip

Map name: Green Waste

Music: Infection by AD_79

Map slot: MAP07

Skill balanced: Yes

Tested on: Doom Retro, GZDoom and DSDA-Doom

Was pretty fun to do this one. I decided to take on an endurance session and finished the entire levl in a day.

MAP07.pngMAP07_5.pngMAP07_1.pngMAP07_2.pngMAP07_3.pngMAP07_4.png

We've been on thanksgiving break this week and I've had quite a bit of time to work on MAP10. There's one more area I want to finish and from there it'll just be detailing work and difficulty balancing. I'm very happy with how this has been coming along. Hopefully this will be finished by next week.

Two screenshots taken in ZDoom:

Spoiler

image.png

image.png

15 hours ago, fai1025 said:

understandable, it happen to me multiple times, thanks for joining this CP, nontheless

I hope I don't get a "pull out" wave, since there's still a lot of people haven't finish their map yet

I have a backup Otex map that fits the project if you need an extra map or 2 to fill it out.

16 hours ago, fai1025 said:

You can just ping people who didn't contribute yet to gently remind them of the project and also check the status.

I, for one, am actively working on my map now and should finish it sometime next week.

I'm still going to complete my map, health issues and other projects have been getting in the way. I'm only planning to do a large-ish cave area and then a final encounter in a smaller base across from the one you'll start in, so for what I've decided to make there's plenty of time.

Here's some -nomo screenshots:
https://imgur.com/3Ux7zFv

https://imgur.com/rSATQai

https://imgur.com/wSpxQwp

https://imgur.com/YqiNE5u

@NinthBurn Thrilling stuff, mate. Some tough, but exhilarating fights and beautiful visuals!

@Endless You're developing quite the meanstreak, my boy. Well done, lad. Nice, tightly designed map bursting with energy and plenty to keep the player on their toes from beginning to end. ;^)

My map (slot 31) is done.

Map name: Kekboomium.

I figured since the wad is called Doomium but it is in Boom format and not in vanilla Doom format, I should capitalize on that, so I went heavy on boom-specific features and tricks.

Download here: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1u3kQtZqwfKSwDBTEGxmjMAObgHDThlJM/view?usp=sharing

Playtime: around 10-12 minutes to max.

Midi: "3rd eye" from Touhou 11: Subterranean Animism (transcribed by icebhm23230)

Difficulty settings are implemented and tested, don't hesitate to play on HMP or HNTR. UV is challenging, but not extremely tight, I tried to be generous with health and ammo in the harder fights.

Tested in dsda-doom 0.24.3 and in gzdoom. Gzdoom does not correctly emulate a few boom things that I use to play little tricks on the player, but those are minor, so if you absolutely prefer playing in gz, it's ok. However I recommend dsda-doom/woof/prboom+ for fully intended experience.

I'm planning to do a visual update before the 10th on December to cleanup texture alignments and maybe add some detailing, will address playtesters comments along with it (if there are any).

Have fun.

Oh, and also, I allowed myself a very slight creative freedom in terms of the secret exit look to differentiate it visually from normal exit, if that's not ok, I can change that.

Screenshot:

Spoiler

image.png.b27f8909b9cb922fd5d481c4730e82e2.png

Hi Fai here

Sorry For The Pin @Walter confetti @EagerBeaver @Engired @knifeworld @Spineapple tea @russin @Kuro_mahoh @Large Cat @AdNauseam @gamevoin @SharkyChip @RED77 @Codename_Delta @LPad @Astro X @TheLippyServer @RedBoule @epicyolomaster420

Just a friendly reminder, the deadline is exactly 2 weeks from now (11/26/2022 right now), So if you somehow haven't start making your map please start it now, and if you haven't got any idea yet please consult some of the map that were submitted. 

Also currently Map17 was empty due a pull off, so if you only sign up for one map please consider fulfil that slot.

Good Luck

Hello Guys, Sorry for the silence. It was some busy weeks. 
Anyways, Here's the first version of my map. I still need to change Difficult settings and choose some music, but I think the general work it's almost done. 
I'll wait for your feedback to make the best for the concept. Hope you like it!

MAP22_Out_of_hand_by_RED77_V1.wad

Um I forgot about this :P

time to whip up an otex map in like 3 days

OTEX is jarring to me personally, not at all doomy, but I will work with it

Thanks for the reminder, @fai1025. I have a lot of work on my plate RN, but I'm making my levels bit by bit, so don't worry, they're gonna be ready for the 10th of December.

Edited by EagerBeaver

Before I got too far into finalizing my on map, figured I would play through some of the existing submissions. To keep it easy on myself, I just played through the current alpha build, which I understand has some outdated map versions, so bear with me if my demo isn't as helpful on the older version.

lc_doomium.zip

@fai1025 @CblBOPOTKA @Womp the Cat @NinthBurn @Bloodbath Giraffe @CittyKat112 @Higo Doragon @MundyC I played maps 01, 06, 08, 11, 14, 21, 23, 25, and 32, all on UV (against my better judgement). Find your demo in the zip, then play it with the alpha build as of Nov 27 or so. I'll also provide some very brief comments on each map, though the demo probably has the most valuable info.

Spoiler

MAP01

• Very quick and small, definitely has a classic doom opener feel in that sense
  • If you wanted to bump up the difficulty, you could probably make this a Tyson map. If you wanted

MAP06

• Another very quick map, under 10 minutes blind
  • The rockets are totally unnecessary at this difficulty level, but they can help keep the pacing up for some players
  • There appears to be a missed sky transfer over suspended bridge/stairs

MAP08

• Spooky atmosphere for an action-themed wad? You did it well.
  • The difficulty felt like it peaked in the very beginning, then the map just got softer as it progressed.

MAP11

• This map is one of the easiest in the bunch, though that can be okay
  • The monsters are lined up perfectly for infighting, so I can spend the fights in the main cavern doing almost nothing until everything kills each other

MAP14

• I got interrupted during recording, so there are two different demos
  • This is the first hard map, a big jump up from the previous maps in this build
  • I couldn't figure out how to exit. I pressed the switch in the center of the final outdoor area, but the bridge to the exit wouldn't raise.
  • Given the frequent crampage, many fights reward pre-knowledge big-time
  • The AV's in the lava columns in the last indoor fight seem very missable, resulting in unavoidable zaps if you don't know the source

MAP21

• Again, two demos, since I was interrupted
  • Hard to say whether the demos are of any use, given that this version of the map seems to have broken teleports. May come back for the proper version for testing at some point

MAP23

• It was getting late by this point, so my patience for grinding had worn out by this point, hence I don't get very far in this one
  • I couldn't find a consistent approach for the first fight. Sometimes I lucked out, sometimes everything attacked and I died right away
  • The second fight was really tough before I found out the barrels by the viles were stacked much higher than the barrels by the revenants in the first fight. It might be worth spreading the barrels out here to clarify that there are more barrels now, so it's worth shooting the archviles first

MAP25

• Even with my poor Tyson fundamentals, getting to the exit of this map is easier than the previous few entries
  • Maybe some people out there want to punch out the second cyberdemon and the archvile. Not me, I guess

MAP32

• Good theme for a secret map
  • I think this has been mentioned, but the blocking lines over the edges of rocks really throw me for a loop, since collision with blocking lines is much sketchier than collision with normal barriers

6 minutes ago, Large Cat said:

Hide contents

MAP08

• Spooky atmosphere for an action-themed wad? You did it well.
  • The difficulty felt like it peaked in the very beginning, then the map just got softer as it progressed.

Thanks for the test! If I have time once I finish 17, I will make some changes to keep it tough for a while longer I didn't want to be too overbearing considering the slot but it could stand to have the intensity of the action last longer. I have some ideas already. gonna take a look at the demo now!