Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Katamori

What are you playing now?

Scythe 2 Map 16: It's a fun wad, I played this wad multiple times but I didn't get to finish the game..

Hell Revealed 2 Map 9: So Far this wad is Crap with only two enjoyable maps..

Alternating between Silence (Finished chapter 2 yesterday, fucking incredible), Death Tormention Complete (Finished Simply Phobos and Death Tormention, fun and charming) and Rebirth. 

I had played Rebirth on UV some years ago and got frustrated on Ugly Halls (15). I am playing through it on HMP and having a great time, will probably try again in UV later on, as i may have improved a little bit since then.

I'm playing Ancient Aliens on UV using pistol starts. I'm getting increasingly frustrated at how obscurely the secrets are hidden. The levels are so greatly detailed that it's hard to find the tiny little tells. I had to cheat to find the secret exit to MAP 31, and I gave up on secrets on MAP 16 (it kinda sucks that you can't go back, even if I understand why the 'premise' won't allow it) and 17.

The second-last fight in MAP 17 was very frustrating even with a BFG and 200/200 and a save right before the fight. I took many attempts and I couldn't figure out any good way to handle the two Cyberdemons and horde of Lost Souls. There's not enough time to get a BFG two-shot before the second Cyber sneaks up from behind with a rocket, and the Lost Souls flying around make evasion hard. I eventually just turned on god mode, and then blew myself up a bit with rockets afterwards. But at that point I was already so frustrated that I quit for the night.

2 hours ago, Stabbey said:

There's not enough time to get a BFG two-shot before the second Cyber sneaks up from behind with a rocket

Not sure how many cells you entered with but spending 3-4 shots (even 5) to get rid of one cyber ASAP is worth it, and BFG shots can even be spent on lost souls. Reducing the fight to just one cyb and not many souls wins the encounter, since SSG'ing the remaining cyb down is easy. And rockets are fine for the plasma troopers and archvile guarding the exit, so you can be somewhat loose with cells in the two-cyb fight. 

It's not discussed as much, but a good BFG "three-shot" (firing at close but not point blank range while dodging shots) is a useful tactic that works really well here. Also a 'half two-shot' or whatever it might be called: the first part of a two-shot followed by two quick shots. Both are less dependent on the cyb cooperating for timing.

I wasn't going to replay the whole map for just one fight so I clipped to the last part and tried to make the arach left alive a nonfactor. 

Afaik, there is also a cheeze strategy for that two cyberdemon fight on AA Map17 if it is too hard for you (although the fight isn't all that hard in the first place as rd demonstrated).

Spoiler

When jumping to the cyberdemon pit, try to jump from the right most side and you can cross over the barrier/wall behind the switch (thus not being trapped in that area) and still trigger the cyberdemons

(Ancient Aliens) I did go back and do the end of Map 17 properly, although it was annoying. Not a big fan that Map 18

is an Icon of Sin

map. I didn't bother going for kills on that one, obviously, and sped through it as fast as possible.

The start of Map 20 is pretty B.S., it's full of hitscanners which makes it luck-based.

Beat Resurgence last night. It was tough but a fun WAD. Playing Kama Sutra next, will hopefully get some time tonight.

Finished the Rebirth.

I am not sure if there is a huge spike of difficulty between HMP and UV or if i may have gotten better. Played it originally on UV and found the amount of ammo very tight, did not managed to finish it out of frustration, i was also trying to blind play through the stages without saving which contributed to it.

I have beat it a moment ago on HMP with saves on Keys and had a great time.  Ammo was quite plentiful if you find the secrets and difficulty was around Doom 2 UV. Maps are short and fun, kind of remind me of early Scythe 1. One of the negatives may be that maps tend to seem very similar, very brown and kind of gothic.

Now, i understand i am being more permissive with saves and playing on lower difficulty but I managed to beat many of the maps without reloading, so i am still not sure if the spike is that big. Will need to replay it again on UV.

The Midi Pack is great. 

As of now, i am on the the secret level of Death Tormention Three and still have episode 3 and 4 of silence to beat. 

Edited by Garlichead

On 11/21/2022 at 8:53 AM, TARDIS32 said:

Playing Kama Sutra next, will hopefully get some time tonight.

Playing KS now, just reached MAP11. Very solid so far, I find one-man megawads to be extremely hit or miss but two-man megawads tend to have ideas bouncing off of another and result in still consistent yet clearly varied styles.

On 11/22/2022 at 2:09 PM, Garlichead said:

Finished the Rebirth.

I am not sure if there is a huge spike of difficulty between HMP and UV or if i may have gotten better. Played it originally on UV and found the amount of ammo very tight, did not managed to finish it out of frustration, i was also trying to blind play through the stages without saving which contributed to it.

The Rebirth is not particularly difficult on UV, but some later levels are really stingy on ammo so if you're pistol starting you're going to suffer.

35 minutes ago, Andromeda said:

The Rebirth is not particularly difficult on UV, but some later levels are really stingy on ammo so if you're pistol starting you're going to suffer.

I normally play continuous, will need to replay it again on UV.

1 hour ago, Stabbey said:

I've reached Map 29 of Ancient Aliens on UV. I think I've had enough.

There's little point in quitting there. No spoilers, but it's actually the last level, and it's fairly short at that.

Going through Heretic for the first time ever, reached E2M3. This game is pretty mean...

Just now, Budoka said:

There's little point in quitting there. No spoilers, but it's actually the last level, and it's fairly short at that.

Yeah, I checked Map 30 and then gave Map 29 more attempts, this time finding spots to save. I finished the WAD.

I am playing mapsets and mods I have not yet finished yet stored many of them. Including mods. Currently Erkattaññe with the Enhanced Vanilla Project mod and Doom II In Spain Only with Johnny Doom. Instant classics.

Life.

The game of life is hard to play, the losing card I'll someday lay ~

More seriously, I've been revisiting and pistol-starting JPCP UV-Fast in preparation of filming and uploading it to youtube or something.

14 minutes ago, ducon said:

Is there a Conway’s game of life WAD?

I was referencing M*A*S*H. But thankyou for making me google that :3

4 hours ago, Garlichead said:

Level 20th of the Rebirth on UV. 

I recently finished a UV-Continuous playthrough of Rebirth. Can confirm that the resources are tight enough to always make you concerned about wasting them, but are still generous enough to allow you to make it through even when you’re playing blind and spending them unoptimally. (For my tastes, it was just the right amount of stress.)

Since I’ve only seen one of the three difficulty-settings, I’ll be curious to hear what you think of the differences between skills 3 & 4 when you’re finished.

-

I also wrapped up a UV-Continuous playthrough of DBP47: Dreamcatcher Apparatus. I haven’t played very many DBPs, so there may be an even better choice for what to start with, but 47 is quite beginner-friendly and I think it's a great entry-point for the series. It’s got a very smooth difficulty curve over the course of its campaign, and when the last few maps started locking me in killboxes with inescapable suffocating crowds of monsters, it was really no trouble to grit my teeth and push through that final stretch since I was so close to the end and was highly-motivated to see things through.

For being a “mapping-jam” project that comes together in such a hurry, I am impressed that the final running-order of the maps flowed as well as it did, gradually increasing the player’s capabilities with a matching escalation in the resistance they’ll encounter. I particularly thought it was cool how MAP11 has a multi-part secret hunt that, if you double-check everywhere and do the entire sidequest, lets you add the BFG to your inventory a few levels ahead of schedule.

1 hour ago, head_cannon said:

I recently finished a UV-Continuous playthrough of Rebirth. Can confirm that the resources are tight enough to always make you concerned about wasting them, but are still generous enough to allow you to make it through even when you’re playing blind and spending them unoptimally. (For my tastes, it was just the right amount of stress.)

Since I’ve only seen one of the three difficulty-settings, I’ll be curious to hear what you think of the differences between skills 3 & 4 when you’re finished.

So a little clarification. I originally played The Rebirth on Uv when I was getting back into Doom around 2020 or so. I got up to level 15 and stopped as it was kicking my ass.

I had it on my backlog and wanted to get back to it as I have beaten things that are around the same difficulty level. I am a mediocre player, so I gave it a spin on hmp to see how it went.

Now that I am on the third episode of UV I find the ammo management less stingy that I remember, but you get way more on hmp. The big difference is the amount of enemies you fight, on UV there are occasionally one or two extra biggies on a group. For example, if on Hmp you would face 2 mancubus, uv has 4 and a little less ammo.

It is not as difficult as I remember it. I guess I would place it slightly above the original campaign. The big problem for a noob was that I did not know how to deal with chain gunners effeciently back then and I kept getting killed on ambushes.

Edited by Garlichead

Finally just got around to Ancient Aliens and I am loving it! The style, the aesthetic, the combat encounters, the level design - everything is made to perfection and polished to a chrome shine. I can't believe it took me so long to finally get around to it.

Just finished The Rebirth on UV.

Comparing HMP and UV, i can say the main difference is the amount of ammo. HMP is way more generous with plasma ammo, which leds you play more wild. Difficulty wise I think UV is manageable, with some ocasional spikes on the second episode.

Hardest maps for me:

MAP13: Condemned Streets (Had a lot of trouble once the spiders gets release, also had issues dealing with the cyberdemon on the cramped room. This boss is not present on HMP, and cyberdemons are the bane of my existence)

MAP16: The Musty Ones (Fucking dark labyrinth)

Pretty fun wad, the only fault being that it feels a little repetitive due to the abundance of brown and caves.

Not sure what to play next. Undecided between Realms of Chaos or Nostalgia.

Edited by Garlichead

On 11/30/2022 at 5:27 AM, ZeroTheEro said:

just started Harmony on the Switch.

on a side note: anyone knows the MIDI used in this DNF essay video at around 13:55? It's at the top of my head but I forgot which WAD it came from.

I know that MIDI appears in Alien Vendetta, can't recall where off the top of my head.