Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Job

When you first met Doom2

So, what was the first (new) monster from Doom2? Where did you encounter it and what was your reaction? I first met the revenant. "Cool, a skeletal enemy..." Then I got plugged by a homing rocket I thought was already exploded. "What an annoying bastard. I'll hate you forever, revenant."

The chaingunner, and then I felt the pain. Chaingunners are probably the most undeoubtedly cool enemies.

Little Faith said:

The chaingunner, and then I felt the pain. Chaingunners are probably the most undeoubtedly cool enemies.

Yes, and wasn't Doom2 the first to break the ethnic barrier? :)

ravage said:

Yes, and wasn't Doom2 the first to break the ethnic barrier? :)

Sure was. That was Superfly Johnson totin' that gat. :P Heh.

The chaingunner was the first new monster I met, but I had expected him from pre release screenies and descriptions.

What I wasn't prepared for was the wake up scream of the revenant. I remember firing a shot and a revenant somewhere nearby letting out that noise. I was like "WTF" and running around in a panic even before I saw him. Took me a while to realise why I was finding his rockets hard to dodge too.

I started right from the beginning 2 years ago. Yeah, a bit slow on the game up take. :^). Everything was new, but I found the Archvile to be the largest PITA, I just couldn't believe they would make something that would go around bringing back what I had already killed. But now I Know! Heh! Gremlin

I'm fairly certain for me it was probably the Mancubus. I had heard everyone at school talking about Doom2, and level 7, Dead Simple, in particular. I finally got the chance to play the game at a friend's house, where he IDCLEV'd me to level 7. First time I saw the Manc, and I was like Whoa wtf?!. My friend laughed and said there were even cooler monsters further on in the game.

Epyo said:

Chaingunner, never stopped hating it since then.

" " " " " " "

Arch-Vile scared the living shit out of me when I first saw it (was 9 years old mind you) I couldn't sleep hahahaa

Chaingunner I imagine, since that's really the first one you come across. I remember hating Revenants because I couldn't ever seem to dodge their rockets, until I realized they homed. I hated mancs because they shot so many at once. It was a lot different from normal Doom because instead of monsters just tossing a fireball, some shot homing missiles, some shot six at once, some shot a constant stream, some shot ENEMIES at you, and some DID NOT MISS if they could see you. I remember the Archie scaring the HELL out of me when I saw he could revive people. Doom2 had good ideas but they should've spent more time on it.

When you first met Doom2

"Hello I'm Doom 2, pleased to meet you"
"Hello Doom 2, I'm Lone Space Marine From Mars, now gimme your ugly demons!" *chuck-chack!*

Little Faith said:

They are when their health gets boosted from 70 to 200 and speed up to 10 by a devious pritch ;)

The chaingunner didn't really bother me, unless he got the drop on you, ie. you trip a motion sensor that opens the wall behind you and you get ripped up before you could turn around.
The revenant was the first new monster I thought was cool, although where I remember first encountering him, his rockets were ineffective because the room had too much cover in it. It isn't till you run into him in a wide open space that he is dangerous.
The archie was definately the best new addition. Fast, tough, resurrects dead monsters, if he can see you you're fucked. And it might be just me but the archie always seemed smarter than the other monsters.

pritch said:

They are when their health gets boosted from 70 to 200 and speed up to 10 by a devious pritch ;)

What kind of idiot would do THAT though?!

That's because of the way he attacks. All the enemies' attacks, whether projectile or bullet type, will hit the first thing in their way. If it's a monster, it will hurt him instead of you, and might cause the monster to go after the attacker. However, the Arch-Vile's attack will hit you no matter how many monsters are in his way. Even invisibility won't affect his aim.

The chaingunner. Killed me the first time i played doom2. Got the bastard back.

And i hate that scene where you come down from a lift and you're surrounded by chaingunners in hell revealed.

The revenant's meteors are easy to dodge. You just need to think in an y-axis. They might home pretty good horisontally but vertically their path is pretty set.

Many revenants are set at elevated positions where they are only a little threat.

If you are in open flat terrain with only revenants around, try to use them as cover.

I wasn't that thrilled about the revenant. It had cool attacks, but it was just a retarded skeleton with a non-special death sequence and the most annoying active sound.

I mean, the merry clucking of an army of imps is cool enough. So is the breaths of former soldiers. The howls of demons might be a bit annoying at times, but it's nothing bad. The mechanical sounds of arachnotrons, masterminds and cyberdemons are rather creepy, adding suspense.

The annoying hoarse cry of the revenants, however, is just plain annoying. Especially if there is an army of them active at the same time. The noise is sometimes deafening, drowning out all other sounds.

Little Faith said:

I wasn't that thrilled about the revenant. It had cool attacks, but it was just a retarded skeleton with a non-special death sequence and the most annoying active sound.

Agreed, the revenant was more laughable than it was menacing imo.

The old one made me laugh the first time I saw it. A big skeleton with medieval-style silver armour and two stupid pipes on its shoulders. Add to this that it moves around like som fucking freak with dangling movements - hilarious.

The new revenant totally 0wnz the old one. Kinda strange though - the new revenant is the one D3 monster that looks the most like the old one. But those glowing eyes, cooler looking armour and seemingly rotting flesh on its arms really did the trick. Hope its death sequence is more interesting than the old one - I want to see its bones shatter and its flesh ripped off its bones!

Nanami said:

What kind of idiot would do THAT though?!

the 'idiot' you 'married'!

S'okay, though, because I was compensating for player's increased weapons capabilities.

pritch said:

the 'idiot' you 'married'!

S'okay, though, because I was compensating for player's increased weapons capabilities.

Oh, some ones not geting any tonight. :) Are you two realy married?
I all ways thought its a joke.

Rotting Corpse said:

Oh, some ones not geting any tonight. :) Are you two realy married?
I all ways thought its a joke.

Yeah, we've been married for a few years now. Sadly the inlaws really piss me off, and lately I've been getting bad vibes off Nami herself. First she contempuously changes her title. Then she accuses my modifying of deh files to be 'idiotic'.

I will probably file for divorce soon. The trouble is, we live in Oman, and the punishment for divorce is 5000 lashes for the woman and 10 years military service for the man.

Plus I'd have to pay allemony for the baby. Which sucks.

I'm not too fond of my family either pritch, so don't feel too bad.

Besides, you had YOUR title for much shorter than I did! And you still haven't said anything to me about changing it!

It all started when I suggested we should have his and hers pritchfish and namifish avatars...

Nanami said:

Brak is just so sexy though.

ITS ALWAYS THE SAME ISN'T IT? ALWAYS LOOKING AT THE OTHER FISHES. I TRIED MY BEST TO TAME YOUR ROVING EYE, BUT OH NO. YOU MAKE ME FEEL CHEAP! CHEAP AND UGLY!

pritch said:

I will probably file for divorce soon. The trouble is, we live in Oman, and the punishment for divorce is 5000 lashes for the woman and 10 years military service for the man.

If that ture. I feal sorry for you and Nanami. Pritch you need to stay in that kids life no matter what happens. I grew up with out a dad and it sucks.

Hey Nanami, my fish love your fish, wanna sexor?.