Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Chealien

Favorite Doom Ad?

The Jaguar ad is a great choice.

Honestly, it's hard to pick.. imo, Doom was done pretty well compared to most games in the 90s as far as TV ads go. I remember a lot of gaming ads being extremely cheesey in an offputting/un-funny way at the time, but most of Doom's were pretty well executed.

I love the Jaguar ad, the Doom 2 ad where the PC eats the dude, the cheesy Doom 2 promo video with John Romero.. but the 32x ad with fat guy working in the slaughterhouse saying "If I don't stop playing it, my wife is gonna kill me!" is just so relatable throughout multiple relationships I've had that it made me laugh out loud even more than the PC eating the guy, the very first time I saw it.

Just so people can easily find most of them, here's a compilation video. It's missing a few, but not many:

I just remember seeing in "Grosse Point Blank", that Doom2 arcade cabinet... and I'm saying... Where the hell did that come from?

Bought the SNES Doom and was to say the least; disappointed with the performance compared to my 486 + MMX Gateway 2000 from 1993... The Past through Rose Tinted Glasses I suppose...

LOL, that arcade cabinet scene is amazing. No such thing ever existed sadly, but here's the scene for anyone who might want to see it:

(and yeah, SNES Doom is an impressive feat but the PC equivalent would be running it on an underpowered 386, in low detail mode, with the screen shrunk to half it's normal size.. crunchy!)

Ok, separate thread idea - how would the Doom arcade game work?

• Would you only get one life?
  • Would there be a time limit implemented into each level?
  • Would you be able to choose the episodes from the start, or always have to begin from KDITD?
  • Would it be in Nightmare mode only, to encourage constant movement?

I feel this is something that should have been part of my childhood

Don't forget the discussion of how the controls would be!

I imagine 4 red buttons in the general WSDA shape on the left, and a gun-shaped joystick on the right that simulates the mouse. The trigger fires but there'd be a thumb button to open doors!

No pausing of course, and no auto-map! "next weapon/previous weapon" would probably be two buttons right above the "WSDA" buttons. Run might be a toggle-based button as well.

I think the player started with 3 lives in the Doom press release, so that feels right to me, but there'd have to be some sort of "timer system" to make it a viable quarter muncher. Maybe you start with just 60 seconds on the clock but get some time added back per kill, depending on the enemy? This would be a fun way to make it so there's some kind of fire under the player's ass, but also allow for "one quarter runs" which were possible in any decent arcade classic.

1 hour ago, Doomkid said:

Just so people can easily find most of them, here's a compilation video. It's missing a few, but not many:

The box art at 2:08!!

2 hours ago, Doomkid said:

The Priest sure did hype up the consumers watching the commercial to execute them demons w/ that sermon he was giving lol.

Relax, I'm joking. Both ads are fake, the first one made by me, actually.

5 hours ago, Doomkid said:

Don't forget the discussion of how the controls would be!

I imagine 4 red buttons in the general WSDA shape on the left, and a gun-shaped joystick on the right that simulates the mouse. The trigger fires but there'd be a thumb button to open doors!

No pausing of course, and no auto-map! "next weapon/previous weapon" would probably be two buttons right above the "WSDA" buttons. Run might be a toggle-based button as well.

I think the player started with 3 lives in the Doom press release, so that feels right to me, but there'd have to be some sort of "timer system" to make it a viable quarter muncher. Maybe you start with just 60 seconds on the clock but get some time added back per kill, depending on the enemy? This would be a fun way to make it so there's some kind of fire under the player's ass, but also allow for "one quarter runs" which were possible in any decent arcade classic.

It would cost way too much money for every cabinet as well.

3 hours ago, Dexiaz said:

Relax, I'm joking. Both ads are fake, the first one made by me, actually.

Coming up: Doom 3 for Final Doom for Doom 64 for Doom II

6 hours ago, Doomkid said:

Honestly, it's hard to pick.. imo, Doom was done pretty well compared to most games in the 90s as far as TV ads go. I remember a lot of gaming ads being extremely cheesey in an offputting/un-funny way at the time, but most of Doom's were pretty well executed.

I love the Jaguar ad, the Doom 2 ad where the PC eats the dude, the cheesy Doom 2 promo video with John Romero.. but the 32x ad with fat guy working in the slaughterhouse saying "If I don't stop playing it, my wife is gonna kill me!" is just so relatable throughout multiple relationships I've had that it made me laugh out loud even more than the PC eating the guy, the very first time I saw it.

love your content btw

I vividly remember seeing both the 32X and Jaguar ads and each had their own strong points that have stuck with me... mostly the pig head with the low-toned "Sega" brand in the 32X, and the overall sermon from the priest in Jag ad.  Good stuff.

On 12/9/2022 at 12:58 AM, TheMagicMushroomMan said:

lol

On 12/9/2022 at 12:58 AM, TheMagicMushroomMan said:

those damn rule 34 artists

1 minute ago, ant said:

SNES vs. 32x... honestly i'll have to go with the SNES. The 32x version was rushed, music sounds terrible, and honestly SNES wins in framerate, even if it means to sacrifice how many pixels you have on the screen.