Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Bloodshedder

Leakage Is Bad

Melfice Darkmage has alerted us to a leaked version of the Doom 64: Absolution TC floating around, with an unnamed distributor claiming to have created it himself. This same person is said to have claimed that Kaiser's Console Doom and DSV4 were his own work as well.

If you have this beta leak of the TC, then I am asking you to please delete it, just as Id Software has regarding the Doom 3 Alpha. This version of the TC is very incomplete and lacks quite a bit of what we're working on right now, which is actually vital to the TC's playing experience.

So once again, if you have obtained a beta copy of the Doom64 TC from a person claiming it as his own, I ask that you do not believe him. And if you would like to go further into looking for proof that it is the Doom Depot's property, email me and I can provide you with proof.

That's awful. If we find out who it is, I say we h@x0r their ass. I hate it when bad things happen to nice people. Especially those who worked so hard to bring the TC into being.

With everything good, just, and well known, there will always be someone there to frell things up.

Job said:

That's awful. If we find out who it is, I say we h@x0r their ass. I hate it when bad things happen to nice people. Especially those who worked so hard to bring the TC into being.

Indeed, there's no logic behind an especially lame move like this. Anyway, I'm really looking forward to the real deal, so good luck to the team.

First of all, I'd like to thank Doomworld for posting this as news. It's very important, especially since resource stealers are one of the main reasons why it was Top Secret in the first place.

I don't think it's Birdman, as I don't know who that is. There was someone who got a hold of an older version a while ago, and we don't think this guy is the one either, since we've seen the leaked wad, and it's completely different than the one we were worried about.

We know exactly who it is. I haven't seen him on Doomworld, and he's notorious at claiming others' work as their own. He knows who he is.

My stuff has been stolen before, as was Kaiser's wads and the Immoral Conduct's Doom 64 resources. From sounds, to graphics, to levels, to music, they've been stolen nonetheless, and I hope this news item somehow does justice to those who steal other people's work. If they spent as much time making the wads, sounds, music, etc themselves, they would be a great contributor to the Doom community.

Hopefully this whole shedding light on resource stealers stops this from happening, at least for a while. Someone should make a database on authors of Doom stuff to authenticate their work and put an end to this once and for all.

Thank you to everyone who supports the project and the Doom Depot. Your support and waiting will be worth it.

Bad news indeed. Some asshole taking credit for the Doom 64 TC sounds like that gay Doom64_Guy who used to walk around on Doom Connector and steal shit and take credit.

Those who ask for or distribute this stolen wadfile around here should suffer the same fate as those who as for or distribute the leaked Doom 3 "demo".

So you people are stealing the resources of the Midway port of Doom to the Nintendo 64, and then you have the gall to get huffy when someone else steals your precious resources?

So once again, if you have obtained a beta copy of the Doom64 TC from a person claiming it as his own, I ask that you do not believe him. And if you would like to go further into looking for proof that it is the Doom Depot's property, email me and I can provide you with proof.

I'd like to see this "proof" that you "own" the rights to the Doom 64 material.

I knew I should of said something

as I keep telling others, they are tempting to steal our ideas, not the resouces.

I don't care about this leak since we didn't make any of the gfx, but I am indeed dissapointed that our work porting this game to pc is being a waste.

Ok, so we get this straight, we KNOW we don't own the rights to Doom 64. We don't assume the rights to a damn thing. Quit acting like we are. We KNOW we're taking material from another game.

What we are pissed off about is that we spent the last year and a bit working on this thing for the Doom community. OUR hard work. Not our material, but OUR work. We worked hard, and put lots of time in it. It's wrong to claim that you did the work when someone else did it, just because you don't care about others. It's the lack of respect that we're pissed off about. By all means, if you're going to use something of the Doom Depot Team's give us credit for our hard work.

And can't the Doom Community please get the fuck along? Other online communities (Quake and such) don't have to worry about their work getting stolen.

In a way, it's indirect flattery that someone would want to steal the work so badly and claim it's theirs. At the getgo, I clearly understood the difference between you claiming to own the rights to Midway's Doom 64 and the actual TC. And I say that stealing the hardwork of Elbryan and his team is bastardly. It's free, it's going to be released, and they put in a lot of effort to make it. And some jackass had to be an immature ingrate and take it for himself. Well, I'm thankful for what the Doom 64 TC crew did in making it. Props to you. :)

Well the sentence 'And if you would like to go further into looking for proof that it is the Doom Depot's property...' kinda makes it sound like you are trying to assume that you own the rights to it.

It could've been worded better, sure. And that part is marking the levels as ours (in creation and porting, not in ideas), which took considerably more work and talent than anything else.

I am of the opinion that if you didn't SEND NEWS TO BE POSTED about some leak in an unreleased TC that most people haven't heard about anyway, then no one would ever even know it was leaked, as opposed to now where everyone knows and will go looking for it.

I think that everyone know that you make the Tc. Don't worry about that.
I also think that decent doomers prefer to wait until your work is finished rather than download that leaked version.

I hope that you actually can finish the project in late may - early june as you said.

Keep up the good work.

I didn't send the news story, and neither did Kaiser (Deathman). We were merely pissed off at the time, and still are. The main reason why this news story was sent in is so that the said person who's constantly stealing other people's work (levels and such) is aware that people are aware of what he's doing and is seriously pissed off. Also so that oomers are aware of the fact that those dishonest people are out there, and know who works on what.

Linguica said:

I am of the opinion that if you didn't SEND NEWS TO BE POSTED about some leak in an unreleased TC that most people haven't heard about anyway, then no one would ever even know it was leaked, as opposed to now where everyone knows and will go looking for it.

You think people will go out of their way for Doom warez?

elbryan42 said:

It's very important, especially since resource stealers are one of the main reasons why it was Top Secret in the first place.

How dare they steal what you stole first!

Grrr... No one understands. They're stealing our hard work instead of doing it themselves. Let them spend months ripping the graphics or give us credit for doing it. They can use them all they want. But if you work hard on something, don't YOU want to be recognized for it instead of a lazy fuck claiming he did it?

We're doing this because we love Doom 64, and highly recommend every Doomer buy Doom 64. No matter how well the TC is, it won't be the real thing. If you want to play Doom 64, buy the game. If you want to play a fan's rendition of it, play the TC.

Cyb said:

How dare they steal what you stole first!

I hope you're just kidding. Otherwise, how dare you, on one hand, praise the Doom 64 TC makers for bringing this game and it's multiplay aspect to the pc; then, on the other hand, chastise them for intellectual thievery. From what I understand Elbryan & co talked to some people who made Doom 64 and those people were very enthusiastic about the team's work. So enough with the stealing bullshit. They're not even making any money -- and so why is porting Doom to yet another system to play on stealing? He's just doing the Doom community a favor.

Job said:

In a way, it's indirect flattery that someone would want to steal the work so badly and claim it's theirs. At the getgo, I clearly understood the difference between you claiming to own the rights to Midway's Doom 64 and the actual TC. And I say that the hardwork of Elbryan and his team is bastardly. It's free, it's going to be released, and they put in a lot of effort to make it. And some jackass had to be an immature ingrate and take it for himself. Well, I'm thankful for what the Doom 64 TC crew did in making it. Props to you. :)

Absolutely. It's a lot of hard work that will give a lot of people great pleasure. Respect.

Look, don't get me wrong, I'm not against stealing resources from other games, in fact, I'm probably the last person you'll ever hear complain about it, and that's not even the issue here. I also understand the work that goes into these things having gone through screenshots of models from multiple angles myself. Stealing resources naturally is a lot easier than making your own originals, but there's still a good bit of work involved in the former.

The thing here is the Doom64TC guys, intentional or otherwise, have come across as very arrogant and possessive of sprite and sound resources which ARE NOT THEIRS, and that's what's getting to me. I have absolutely no qualms about the project (in fact I am looking forward to it) other than the team's general attitude about it, or at least how their words have come across to me on more than just one occasion. But maybe it's just some kind of communication issue, whatever. This is also a good thing to cite in this situation, though elbryan's most recent post seems to imply anyone will be able to use the resources however they feel, as long as credit is given to the Doom64tc team, which I believe is quite fair. That aside, I wish you guys luck with the completion of the project.

And Job, chill out.

After the TC is released, we would like to see it grow. Heck, Dark Nexus is going to have an Absolution port with sprites, scripting, and other stuff from the TC. We'll even have addons for Deepsea and such so you can make your own Doom 64 levels.

Sorry that we're hot under the collar, but I hope you all understand that no matter what the hell we're doing, what resources we're using, we put lots of work into what we're doing. We want to be seen for our hard work, instead of some loser who wants to make himself look better by claiming other peoples' work as his own.

Nuff said. Discussion over. Move along.

Just wait for the TC. Coding's almost done BTW. More on the next update...

Cyb, I didn't mean to come across as over-agressive. It just seemed that unfair statements were being levied against Elbryan & co. I don't think they're claiming that the actual Doom 64 resources are theirs, so much as the effort put in and the coding, etc required to port it to the PC. Of course, if they make any original sprites or levels, they deserve full credit for that. As for the arrogance thing, truthfully, I'd be a bit arrogant myself if I had accomplished what they have. But good points all around. I just hope that this leak doesn't cause more trouble than it already has.

Hmmm, a certain name floats about in my head when I think of this thievery of the D64 TC...

elbryan42 said:

especially since resource stealers are one of the main reasons why it was Top Secret in the first place.

you *are* resource stealers