Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Dark Fox

DeepSea Idea

You mean 3D preview? It's in there already. Go to Modes menu, there's 3D viewer and 3D walkthrough.

I know that lut, but with textures so u can check alignment, items, enemy, so u don't have to keep switching between Doom and Deep

God, it's not THAT hard to load the map in Doom and see for yourself. You can see where the texture is being offset to in the texture box anyways. Of you're not sure just use the auto-align option and have it do the offets, and those won't be wrong.

.. a preview like mode in deepsea, much like world craft?

This ? surfaces now and again. Technically, the problem is that the new 3D games work with convex polygons. A "brush" is a 3D entity that intersects other "brushes". All this satisfies the criteria for the general 3D API stuff, making the job of coding a textured preview fairly easy. (To appreciate the problem, play the GL DOOM ports and you'll see the glitches:))

So the only way to do this (that I know of) is to create a custom version much like the Doom engine. The short answer is that although I have an interest in doing this (and it would be really cool), I've not had the time. Well really more that I wanted to do other things that are more common problems - Like interface enhancements, multiple port support and stuff that I learn from bitches:))

couldnt u just texture the 3d walkthrough or sumthing? like minimal i mean

Wish I could. The 3D code walk code is actually very tiny - about 80kb of code which is practically nothing.

What I thought of after posting the last time, is to take my DOOM->Quake code (creates Quake type 3D brush coordinates) and work from that. Or just do small segments? A question of learning, time and other new ideas that may be of more immediate benefit - particularly for beginners.

The X is really not much of a problem, since the interactive display shows the X offset accurately.

The Y can be a bit of a pain because of engine quirks that I confess to just ignoring:)) The Y offset display does show the amount of shift in the texture, so once you see that's it wrong in the game, you can get a pretty good idea visually on how to correct it.

Overall, both X and Y offsets become less of a problem as one gains experience and learns to associate the onscreen with what the game will do. Not to say that it can't be better. One of my todo things.

Yes i see what ur getting at, but would a chopped up version of the orginal engine in there would work? Be the same as loading doom on it is part of DEEP.

chopped up version of the orginal engine in there would work?

That won't work for uncompleted "parts" of a level, but would work for a level that is structurally complete.

I would like to avoid license issues, besides being more interested in original Direct3X/Direct3D solutions (mainly for compat reasons). The practical solution (in terms of time) is just to accurately show you the Y offset for the area of interest (ignoring tricks and all that stuff).